You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Pets / Animals :: Dogs Came Back

Real Ghost Stories

Dogs Came Back

 

My family dogs are miniature short-haired Dachshounds. Their names were Charlie and Cindy, had them since grade 5, when we lived in Toronto. They past away in 1999/2000. Cindy past away first, then a year or two later we got another dachshound from the Humane Society, after we were feeling better about getting another dog, while still looking after Charlie. Our dog now is Hidie. Charlie wasn't doing so great in the year 2000. With Dachshounds, they get bad backs, if they go on ice wrong, or jump down / run the wrong way. That's what happened to Cindy, we put her down so she wouldn't have to suffer the pain. With Charlie, he had one of his disks broken and he couldn't even walk.

I remember it was a sad day for all of us. Charlie was my best bud, I told him everything, from who I like, to who I hate. I know dogs can't respond, but they can listen can't they? He kept me company though my worst times. For the first few weeks after his passing, I didn't spend much time with Hidie, my dad and brother did, getting her socialized with people.

She sleeps in my parents room, with the door closed so she didn't go down the stairs without hurting herself. I woke up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water, and I thought I saw a dog in the hallway walking from my brother's door, to mine. I looked at my parents door, and it was still closed. I went back into my room , and I thought I saw my Charlie laying on my bed staring at me. I stopped for a moment, being half asleep, I wasn't sure if I was dreaming, or if he was really there. Of course, I recorded it in my little book I have, of any unusual things happening around my house, a friends or community.

The next day, I was sitting alone, my new dog was on my lap, without her collar on, and I thought I heard Charlie or Cindy's collar walking down the stairs.

Today, I have Hidie still, and we got another dachshound from the Humane Society, we saw his picture in the newspaper, and our Humane Society friend who works there called us up asking if we were interested in getting another dachshound.

We couldn't resist! I was staring at Norman (our new puppy) when we were picking him up at her house, his face looked so much like Charlies, it still does. He's a little skinner then he is , but just the facial expressions. Could Norman be another form of Charlie letting us know he's okay?

It's been 4 years now since we had Norman, I still ask myself that question whenever I'm down. Even when both dogs either sleep with me, without their collars, I still hear something in the hallway. Just hearing them, makes me want to hold my old dog up in my arms again, I never even hugged him goodbye, when we took him to the vet, I went with him to see him one last time but was very uncomfortable hugging, now I wish I have.

Last night I had my door closed, with no dogs in my room. I felt like I had Charlie or Cindy sitting by my feet. I'd wake up, and there'd be no one there. It hasn't happened to me in a while, the last known time that this happened to me was 2004. Since then, never felt anything from my two dogs that past away.

You know, every time I write something like this down either in a journal, or tell someone, I always get teary eyed. Either if it was one friend who past away in 2005 (I'll share her ghost story another night) or my grandparents. I love the memories, but hate the tearing up part. People who approach me afterwards always ask me what I'm going to say? I saw the ghost of my two dogs/ high school friend?

So many mysterious things that have been happening to me recently, I've been reading up on real life stories / comments, and other sites to see if I could connect anything to what I've been putting up with. The thing is, I think nowadays, I'm the only one in the house that knows the dogs are still around. My mom used to, but she hasn't said anything lately.

Goodbye

Other hauntings by ice128

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, ice128, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

MysteryVin (19 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-04-23)
Wow. Great story but scary too... 😨 😨 😨 My bro is watching Jake and de Neverlan=d Priates
Starz88 (3 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2009-12-18)
When I was 12, our dog Toby passed away suddenly. It was my birthday and we had ordered pizza. After everyone had ate, there was some leftovers on the table so of course Toby was begging for some. My mother ended up giving him a piece of crust a tad bit to big, and sadly he ended up choking on it. He ran off to eat it and she went into the other room thinking he was a happy camper for getting some pizza. About 10 minutes later, my sister Amy noticed him laying motionless on the kitchen rug, so she called for help and we noticed he was un-conscious and we got the chunk of crust that was blocking his air way. But it was too late, he had gone to long without oxygen to the brain and he was basically brain dead and on his way to Rainbow Bridge.

Fast forward 2 days.

In the middle of the night, I woke up and got a drink of water and had used the restroom. After coming out of the bathroom, looking down our hallway. I saw Toby, standing before me. I immediately blinked a few times, thinking I'm just seeing things because I just woke up. But he did not disappear. So I leaned down and called his name. He started walking towards me and I was telling him how much I had missed him and asked why he had to go. He got within a foot away from me and looked at me then just disappeared. I stood there a few seconds with tears in my eyes before I finally went back to bed. To this day I have not seen him since... That was a good 10 years ago. I believe it was his way of saying goodbye and that he was in a better place. He was my very first dog and will always have that special place in my heart. He was my first spirit I've ever seen too. So human or not, they are always with us:)
Brownie09 (6 stories) (293 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-08-21)
I know what you mean about dachshunds, we have 3 all together that's including my mom's, anyway I believe that your dog's or dogs' spirit is still there, because they know that was their home. That is where they are happy at. Thanks for sharing.

~Vicki 😊
GhostGal (6 stories) (104 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-06-23)
hmmm. Me grandma says that a dog will stay with you for 90 days to make sure that everyone is okay, or theyll stay intill you get a new dog. This I believe.

~Gejro
Cody13Smith (5 stories) (54 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-01-04)
budists(dont know the spelling) believe in reincarnation that could be the case of your dog norman and charlie myself I believe in reincarnation for your sake I hope norman is pretty much charlie and I hope I get another dog like mine
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2007-10-25)
Your story was very touching, thank you for sharing it with us.
I do believe our beloved pets (family members) can and do communicatte with us. Just as a loved one who has passed, they may be able to let us know they are at peace, they love us and like we are thinking of them, they are thinking of us.

God Bless!
ice128 (4 stories) (1 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-02)
Dear Cutiepie45, Evilblackwidow9. Sarah

Thank-you very much for your comments, it did bring some comfort to myself reading them.

I strongly believe in the quote " A dog is a mans best friend. " to be added to that, even after they are deceased, they can still be your best friend.

I thank you again for your comments,
Have a good week,
cutiepie45 (10 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-30)
This story is very touching, and I also had a dachsund that passed away, not long ago. 😭 But I haven't seen it's ghost around, hopefully I will.
Sarah (1 stories) (53 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-06-29)
Dear Ice128, I was very touched to read your story. Apart from the supernatural element of your dog returning, it was the affectionate manner in which you spoke about him that hit a nerve. I would like to think that we are never far apart from our deceased loved ones. Animals can become much more than mere family pets. They can, and more often than not, do, become full members of the family. Like humans who come back to say goodbye to their loved ones, why should the concept of pets returning be so strange.
I hope this brings some comfort to you,
Sarah.
evilblackwidow9 (6 stories) (132 posts)
+2
17 years ago (2007-06-28)
I think your dogs just wanted to let you know that they were fine and wanted to tell you goodbye.
Blessings to you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: