You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: A Piece Of Hell Escaped

Real Ghost Stories

A Piece Of Hell Escaped

 

First of all, I would like to thank this site for publishing my first experience. That's why I'm encouraged in making my next experience.

As soon as I gained knowledge about this paranormal supernatural stuff, seeing that woman became rarely to happen. My grandmother then told me that most of us in the family had seen these beings but just stayed in silence so that we kids (that time) wouldn't be curious then scared. Years later my parents decided to break up because of some issues, so from time to time I would visit my mother who lived with her parents in another place in the city far from my father's house. The place was different, beside our house which was a ground where many children could play and I can say it was the start of my exposure to the "outside world".

There was this "season" for us children that we called "spider fighting" (like roosters fighting, but spiders were used instead). We waited for the afternoon or evening to go to hunt for spiders that were suitable for fighting because as they say, specific spiders come out during late hours. Our neighbours (a bit older than us) told us that there was a type of spider that lived in the cornfields that's superior to any kind and could be located at the base of the hills (near our houses) which have cornfields owned by farmers living there.

I and my friends decided to see each other later one night after the rain pours out, to head to the hills and after finalizing our exciting plan, they warned us not to go beyond the cornfields especially on rainy days. That was quite a hanging statement but we decided not to ask "why?" because all we could think off was spiders.

It was around 8 in the evening and our parents gave us permission to do our "escapade" because we lived in a compound-like place, most houses were close to the other and we all knew our neighbours (it's either our grandfathers, fathers or uncles were colleagues). There were 7 of us and only two brought flashlights so we decided to split up into two groups. We consisted of 4 while the 3 remaining started far from us. Before we started, the farmers told us to stay in the cornfields (as permitted) and never go beyond it because it's rainy days. We asked "why?" and they told us that the light outside their house reached only where the cornfields were. Being growing kids that knew scary stuff, it was easily understood. Minutes passed of walking and searching through the cornfields, we caught the said spider for each of us and then we looked for the other group.

We saw a light (not too bright but able to illuminate a surrounding), probably meters away from us. We headed straight for it thinking it was our friends still searching. The light was not within the cornfields but from a large mango tree which was next to it. When we were almost close to the light, we heard what sounded like a chain being dragged. As we reached the moving light and sound of chains, a fireball size of a basketball floated in mid-air, carrying a chain and dragging the other end. It was circling around the tree like it was looking for something. At first we were stunned then looked at each other with confused faces and ran like hell, it was every man for himself. I ran with just myself, ignoring where my friends were. I couldn't pull myself together with all the tension and fear. I finally stopped at the waiting shed beside our house. The other group were there waiting for us and 2 in my group were there sweating and shivering. We talked about what we had seen. Some of our neighbours who had told us about the cornfields were laughing at us as they told us they had also encountered what we had. They call it "santelmo", also known as "St. Elmo's Fire". It is said that it comes from a blood of a murder victim who hasn't received justice, and as soon as his/her blood (even a stain) is washed away by the rain, that's when and where the "santelmo" appears. We never went back to that place.

My mother said it was a product of my imagination but for me, it can't be. I mean it's impossible that a number of us had the same imagination without even saying what to imagine. But I got over that until one night years later, when I was staying in my father's house.

I was kind of a foolish kid growing up. I'd let everybody in the house sleep at night and tip toed my way down the living room to watch television. I'll describe to you our living room. On the way down the stairs are windows which have flower-like carvings so you can't really see the figure on what's outside. If you turn right just when you reach the ground is the television. To the left is a door leading to the garden. Right side of the television is a couch and at the end of it are transparent windows seeing outside. Few inches away in front of the television are another set of couches. I sat down on the couch next to the television because I just applied the slightest volume that only I could. Hours later as I was watching, there was a bright orange light outside of the windows on the stairs (behind the television is the stairs then the windows with flower-like carvings). So I got up went to the end of the couch and looked out the window. There it was again, the fireball they call "santelmo". This time, there were 2 of them but smaller. They were right outside our gate floating and were like chasing each other. The next thing I did was switch the television off and went to bed as fast as I could. That was the last time I saw that "being".

Only one thing confuses me, are the legends about them true? They say, once they're disturbed, they'd chase you until they burn you to ashes. But I'm not volunteering to know myself if that's true.

Anyway, thank you again for letting me share my experience. I hope you'll read my next experiences about these "beings".

Other hauntings by MuFox

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Philippines

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MuFox, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

ghostfun22 (2 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-01-20)
I believe in these paranormal stuffs. However, I don't believe that St. Emlo's fire has anything to do with yhe Paranormal world. When my mom was still a kid, she told me that she was also able to see one but explained that yes it's from blood. But because blood is phosphorus, when it evaporates it creates a "flame-like" figure that moves.
MyleneAunzo (13 posts)
-1
9 years ago (2015-01-30)
I've seen a santelmo/ santilmo before. I was just 6-8 y/o and I'm not kind of scared with them because my mother know something on how to keep them away from us, human. Simply lit the matches and throw it to where the fireball is. She said santelmo were spirit who seeks for justice so basically speaking if this world/ government can't give it to them then they'll seek the justice by themselves.

Hahhah such an awakening to our society today, I guess ahahhahaha

So grant them their right, justice! And if not they'll hunt you nyeahhaha

God Blesss.
pedropaterno (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-10-11)
That was good story,
Because of that I remember my favorite epic-fantasy tv series in chanel 2,
Pedro Penduko.
gianinalovesyou (4 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-02-06)
I believe in "santelmo" I'm also from the philippines:) My tita told us she once saw santelmo. Not just one but a dozens of them. She thought it was a "prosesyon" because they are "sunod-sunod" 😨
Hallon (1 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-20)
Hi guys! Would like to give my side of the story. I am also in the Philippines and in our province I have already encountered St. Elmo's fire a few dozen times already. I am not scared of this phenomenon since my first encounter with this is way back when I was just 6 years old. I saw one flame moving in the air and a curios me went to the flame and chased it. After chasing it I just grab the thing and it just basically dissappeared.

1 thing I noticed everytime I saw this thing is it is always raining and the humidity is hotter on the ground and cold a cold breeze of air. And when I was in high school I learned that this phenomenon occurs almost the same as when lightning. So I can safely say that this isn't some ghost or weird entities but just mother nature showing off:)

Now I'm not sure about the chains as I can safely say that it doesn't have the capability to hold solid objects but as a person able to reach it about 5 to 8 times already I'm pretty satisfied with what I know about St. Elmo's fire.
gels (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-24)
hi there!
Yes it is true... My parents have also encountered that thing, the only pangontra is to light up a match whenever you see them.
ghost_jutz (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-28)
i have a similar experience and I will soon publish my story since the publish page is still not able to be used-.-
MuFox (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
Thank you for the comment [at] ghostrreal202. 😊
Thinking about my reaction pisses me off because I realize I'm such a chicken. LOL 😁
ghostsrreal202 (6 stories) (27 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
That is soooo cool! I would love to see that ❤! I hope you can get over your fear of 'em and find out more about 'em!

-ghosts
MuFox (3 stories) (40 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
It does sure look like one but in our place, that's what they call it.
I prefer it to be a will-o'-wisp because a St. Elmo is more like a thunder than a fireball.
Thank you.:)
Rorick (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
Perhaps they could be something similar to will-o'-the-wisps? Unlikely, but that's all I can think of.
MuFox (3 stories) (40 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
I've been asking about the fire and that's the answer I got. Though you're right. It can be explained scientifically. But everyone of us who saw came up to that conclusion.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-14)
St. Elmo's Fire is actually an atmospheric phenomenon. It was originally thought to indicate the protection of "St. Elmo," which is actually a mispronunciation of the saints name. It seems strange to me that something that previously was thought to be a sign of being protected would become associated with ghostly murder victims. St. Elmo's Fire is described as balls of blue flame & require storm-like conditions (though not necessarily a storm) to appear.

Murder victims are often thought to haunt the place they were killed, they have good reason to stick around after all. I don't know what to think about what you saw.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: