You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Nocturnal Happenings

Real Ghost Stories

Nocturnal Happenings

 

It all started about two months ago when I had come home to my house at around 4.0 am on a Saturday night after working some overtime when I noticed a few of my cd's had fallen out of the rack near my TV. I slept that night but in a light sleep and I dream t of a deep cavern with a very oppressive feeling to it, on one of the walls was a ferocious looking dragon with smoke coming out its nostrils, and was looking directly at me. Then I walked further down the tunnels steep embankment into the darkness towards firelight, as I got closer to the fire I noticed a crouched figure clad in animal skins, it's back turned towards me. I called out to the figure and it turned around to reveal a very old Chinese man who angrily shouted at me that I had not been invited and I would pay the consequences, he brandished a knife and rushed towards me, at that point the dream ended and I awoke.

Two days later I was seated on the couch when I felt a presence behind me, I turned around to see a pretty Chinese woman dressed in traditional clothing who cursed me, what she said was in Chinese so I didn't understand her. She promptly disappeared. It scared the hell out of me.

On cleaning my bedroom I came across a piece of wall paneling in the dado boards I had accidentally knocked out with the broom handle to reveal a hidden compartment, in this space was a blue cloth bag that contained a locket of hair, some fingernail clippings, some ash like powder, two black feathers and a piece of bone. Is this a spell of some sort? Can I destroy it?

Several days later while in the living room I was relaxing in front of the TV, watching some comedy program on cable when I noticed a rather large mass of green like mist up near the roof, it disappeared after about 30 seconds. Things have also been moving in the house. The most noticeable has been chairs that have been moved several feet from the dining room table, I have also seen towels slide off the holders in front of my eyes when I have been in the bathroom.

I asked one of my neighbors about the previous owner, she told me he was a Chinese man, in his 30's who was very polite, but kept to himself. She said he traveled a lot back to Hong Kong with his work, though she didn't seem to know what he did. She said he had probably owned the house for about 6 years before moving out, the house had been vacant for a good year before I had bought it. The house is about 80 years old.

In the hallway I always feel as though I am walking through cobwebs, but there is nothing there. Lights have been flickering in the kitchen when I am in there, I have also had problems with the lighting in the living room flickering but I had an electrician check it out and it was a loose connection in one of the junction boxes, he found nothing wrong in the kitchen.

Every now and then I will see a tall shadow of someone walk down the hallway and enter one of the end bedrooms, to find no one there. Late at night I will hear a scratching sound in the floor, I have put rat baits under the floorboards but the sounds have not stopped. I have also been under the house and not seen any animals or signs of animal infestation.

Any advice you have will be greatly received, I need to resolve these issues and gain some sanity back.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Tiffanyj, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Tiffanyj (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
The house cleansing went well and the atmosphere in the house has changed for the better. I felt a real resistance in one of the bedrooms but the tension seems to have eased now. The scratching sounds in the floor boards have not gone. I will look into the history of the land and any previous owners.
lazria (9 stories) (82 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
The items you found do not sound Chinese in nature, more western as others stated. Even though you saw the Chinese woman, who says the previous owner was the one to put the items you found there? If that owner only lived there for 6 years, but the house is 80 years old, who knows who may have put those items there. Plus, if they were there, maybe someone else in the house's past put them there, but since the last long term resident was of Chinese descent, maybe he came across something and tried to do his best at "holding it at bay". The woman could be related to him directly, without knowing what she said, you can't tell that maybe instead of cursing or swearing, maybe she was trying to warn you of something. I would highly suggest NOT burning said items, seperating them may "break" the charm's magic but depending on who & how old, it may not. You need to loook more into the history of the house, the past owners and maybe even the land. Something else is going on. Good luck and take care.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
Stephy makes an important point. There seems to be an assumption that something shady was going on, but that may not be the case. Your evidence only suggests that previous inhabitants of the house felt strongly about acting for or against something. The charm seems like it may have pre-dated the person your neighbor told you about. The dream & angry woman may have been upset because they thought you might undo some important thing he had done.

I would research the house & property before acting if I were you. I suggested water because some believe it washes away everything (thus the magic of baptism) & because in folklore running water was often thought to stop supernatural things. Fire is believed by some to release magic so it can work. That would be good for you if it were protective but very bad if it were binding a threat to the home. But fire can be cleansing too in some beliefs. Knowledge is power. Lastly, the charm may not have anything to do with the strange possibly ghostly occurrences. So you might want to be prepared to deal with those things regardless of what you decide to do with the charm.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
Here is some information I found:
BLACK and black-and-white SpeckleD Hens are said to remove jinxes. Some workers make a little whisk from the FEATHERS of such hens and use it to brush their troubled clients from head to foot while smoking them in a purifying incense, to rid them of evil To make a Down Home Uncrossing Powder, doctors burn BLACK HEN FEATHERS to a fine ash and dust or blow it on troubled clients.

SWAN
The pure white feathers of swans are used to purify and cleanse by attracting new energy. They represent beauty, grace and goodness. Black swan feathers can be used to purify of unwanted energy.

CROW
The Crow is one of the animals humans have always been afraid of. A crow at the window is said to represent the soul of a dead person. Crow feathers are used for mourning and letting go of unwanted feelings or situations.

From this information, one can gather, that perhaps it was a spell to protect a previous person. Maybe they were suffering from a haunting, and chose to create a protection spell? If that is the case, I wouldn't worry about destroying it, in fact I wouldn't. You can release the contents outdoors, and forget about it, it won't cause you any trouble. The previous person probably forgot about it, since they chose to hide it where only the ghosts would know where it was.

The bone... What kind of bone was it? Its possible that they chose the bone of an animal that they thought could be their spirit guide, and thus further protect them?

These are all crackpot theories, but it sure is an interesting problem you have! Good luck!
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
Hey Tiffany,

My suggestion is to burn the things that you found hidden in the wall compartment. These usually are associate with some kind of black magic or spell like you doubted.

I had a similar situation some years back and when we found it we burnt it and all activity automatically stopped. My guess is someone put it there for the previous owner and now you're facing the consequences. Anyhow, there are many here who can help you with more authentic details, please be patient.

Meanwhile do not keep the spell in the house, in fact burn it outside the house a bit away if possible.

Let us know how you get along

Logan
Tiffanyj (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
Hi, and thanks for all the advice. I have separated the contents of the bag, and will attempt a cleansing ritual on the house tomorrow. One of my friends had some old horse shoes in her shed, so I now have put them on the outside doors and in several of the rooms. I feel a bit strange doing these things. I believe in god or a higher power but have no strong religious beliefs. As for the ghost cursing me Stormangel, I should have said swearing, that's what it sounded like.
VampireSlayer (4 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
Tiffany, these may be demons, bound to the house by the charm which you found in your wall.
reptilian (45 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
I am worried though that a man has been making these things. I once came across an artefact (a mask) of the swagap tribe, and the hate and cruelty within this thing, black from the dried blood it was painted with, was utterly shocking. I could tell this was used in what can only be called torture and murder. Of course something like that could have easily been made not so long ago in the highlands of Papua New Guinea, they only stopped the practice of cannibalism in the 1970's.
But for this Chinese man to have done as much as he has in the privacy of his own home... What on earth was he doing in there? I am left wondering where he is now, what he's doing and how many more people like him are out there.
reptilian (45 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
Well that's quite the nest you have there. I guess moving someplace else would only leave someone else with the problem, so even if you do leave you'll still need to fix the place first.

It may well be that the charm holds the source of some of the trouble, however the charm is likely just a container. Should you destroy the physical thing it's possible its contents will flee to another object, and from the sounds of it your house has no shortage of potential hiding spots. Perhaps it sees you as potential vessel yourself, maybe that is why it seeks to wear you down.
Anyway, if you're going to do anything to it then make sure it has no where to flee to. The downside (or upside depending on your view) is that you will likely find yourself in a confrontation with it. You learn a lot about yourself in such moments.

I'm not sure about simply throwing it into a river, it'll likely wash up someplace and be a problem for whoever is unfortunate enough to be nearby.

However, as Nysa said this is a very western style of charm, not chinese. This does raise the possibility of it being a decoy.
Maybe our deranged chinese witch doctor friend was a clever little deranged chinese witch doctor and thought that if one wanted to get rid of his nasty little traps he'd leave a false charm (one that westerners would recognise) for you to find. You set fire to it or whatever, thinking you've solved your problem when in reality all you've done is cremate some bones and few manky feathers.

Maybe there are a hundred more of these things in your house, real or not. Given where you found it I'd say that it's very likely there are more of them. In which case you will never find all of them.
This does put a different spin on things. Another approach might be to bring in something to counteract it. I don't mean tacky gypsy rubbish, I mean a genuine artifact of power that will overcome whatever is there.

To be honest I cannot imagine your house ever being what I'd call "clean" again, the very wood of the house has likely been tainted. There will always be echoes, or at least scars.
Do what you can. You will need help though, and not some bored mumbling priest but a true spiritual practitioner who is capable of properly dealing with this.
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
I would say that you ask someone who knows to help you with this problem. Perhaps a priest, reverend or pastor, to destroy this stuff and bless the house.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2011-11-16)
The bag you found does sound a lot like a charm or spell. Often charms like that using items like hair & fingernails have the purpose of manipulating a person, but they can also be used to protect a person. The strange part is that it does not sound much like the kind of magic usually associated with the Chinese culture. It is very Western in it's style. It is rather iffy destroying a charm when you don't know it's purpose. If you feel strongly that it needs to go I would dump it out into a stream or river & ask the universe (or any deity you believe in) to end any suffering it might have caused or continue any good it might have done.

Your dream sounds a lot like a call to a spiritual journey, complete with a warning not to try to take shortcuts. I believe your subconscious picked up on whatever the previous owner had been doing there & showed you the dream & the angry woman as a warning about jumping to conclusions & acting rashly. The charm was obviously related to a living person, you can't get hair & nail clippings from a ghost, so I am not sure that the strange events are ghostly & if they are the charm bag does not seem to be related. Do you have any reason to believe anyone (living) would be angry about how the property was built or changed hands before the last owner moved in?
Argette (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
A good deal of seemingly small but annoying events here. The whole thing seems to be unraveling like some sort of mystery. I have the feeling someone is sending you a message. But what? Please keep us posted. The comments below are good ones.

Good luck!
stormangel (3 stories) (55 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
You seem to have an awful lot of different types of papranormal activity going on there. How do you know they were cursing you if you didn't understand what they were saying? Any small box of hair, nail etc clippings would be have to have been puy there by human hands. Interesting that you knocked that particular piece from the wall while sweeping, then again it could be loose if its been forced, stuck back in but worked itself loose over time. I'm confused about the previous chinese owner being in his 30's and the house has been vacant for a year? Unless his father owned the house for a while rented it to his son, sold it when his son moved out and for some unknown reason asked his son to leave these items hidden in the house so there would always be a part of him there? I know you asked a nieghbour but have you asked your current landlord or whover you bought the house from any questions? What was contained in that bag sounds like a binding spell, google it if you are not sure what it is, but its a negative deed that may attract other nagative energies into your home, such as shadow people (who may or may not be malevolent). I have to admit I was a bit skeptical reading your story but unless a posters account sounds like a script from a horror flik then I'm here to try and help anyway. Rook has some excellent advice on cleansing methods you will come across rook in a lot of his comments. So I would try those. Good luck and thankyou very much for sharing, best wishes and let us know anything else or god forbid any new experiences. S.Angel
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-15)
Seldom are the usage of personal items such as hair or fingernail clippings used in a positive manner.

Green is often connected with Jade, an eternal substance prized in China. If I had to tender a guess- said bag and it's contents, including black feathers... And bone...

A spirit binding. A love Spell more likes. Methinks said lady who 'cursed' you was the one who was bound. I'd be very very careful about 'destroying' said bag. Separate the articles into separate paper bags and keep them far far apart.

If after such and nothing untoward occurs- them start burning them one by one into ashes, and cast the ashes to the four winds.
Fire cleanses.

And keep some Cold Iron nearby, just in case.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_in_folklore#Cold_iron

OR if you wish to punish the one who chose to bind someone against their will- the witchbottle.
Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch_bottle

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: