You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Does Having A Religion Protect Me?

Real Ghost Stories

Does Having A Religion Protect Me?

 

I am 13 years old and I live in Wales, Bridgend. Because of the title I want to know if I'm a target because I've been reading many stories on this site and most of the ones I have read included demons ect. I've commented on some about if having a religion will help protect yourself against paranormal beings and so on. I have experienced strange things happening to me lately that's why I joined this site to help find explanations for it.

My first experience happened a few weeks ago when I was in my room typing homework up on my computer. I normally have the door closed and the window is locked (I lost the key...:0). I was lying on my bed when this happened. I started to feel as if someone was watching me so I looked around, nothing there, fine so I went back to typing. Then I felt really uncomfortable as if someone was just lurking behind my shoulder. I didn't think much of it but I still felt like someone was still there so I moved to sit against my wall. After that nothing happened.

Something else happened a few days ago after I took on a religion (Buddhism). I was sitting on my bed meditating at 6pm (I was practising meditating as I was new to the religion. You're supposed to be calm and have a clear mind when doing it but I kept drifting off.) I felt like something pushing against by shoulder and moving across my legs. I jumped alarmed and saw a thick grey mist floating around my head. After a few seconds it disapeared.

That night I went to bed at 11pm or so. I don't have any pets or siblings so nothing would have come into my room (I say siblings for this as in a little brother or sister sneaking into your bed becasue of nightmares or something.) I felt a draft come around by ear and then I heard someone breathing in my ear. This surprised me but I'm not the kind of person who likes to be woken up so I brushed it off. As I flicked my hand around where I heared breathing, something pinned my wrist against my pillow. It was like a really hot hand. That was when I 'offically' freaked out. But soon after it went away.

Since having a religion this thing has been showing it self more often. I've made contact with it by asking its name. It only made a kind of scream? A sort of a scream as is it's voice was starting to go. As I said I've heard that having a religion could protect you against demons but I want to know if whether that is actually right or does it just make it worse? I really need help with what this thing is and if it is dangerouse. Thank you.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nikkstone, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Quiet_Girl (3 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-07-29)
Nikkstone, I have myself been experienced things, I'm religion, not like totally strict religion, but I believe in God (Im Christian), I believe that he will protect me in any bad situation, I'm not saying whether your religion will protect you or not, but if you believe it will protect you, it will, because you believe in it!
If you think those experiences will get worse and you will get insecure about whether your religion will protect you or not, and mostly you just want whatever the thing is to leave, you should stand up in the room, even though you might be scared, you should yell out loud "Leave me alone, I'm not afraid of you" and it should hopefully stop, this is what my mam told me to do, and since the day I either dreamt I did it or actually did it, but forgot, I have never had any of those experiences afterwards, I'm not saying that it won't come back, or that you will never feel anything anymore, because I do still feel things, but I'm not experience things like I did before, anyways you should try it, it might work^_^

Good Luck and bless you[:
WReck72 (1 stories) (116 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-07)
As you learn more spiritually you are more likely to have spiritual encounters. Also I am Guessing you are a teen or early 20's as makes you more likely to have encounters. Have never heard a good reason as to why but based on reports encounters seem more common as teens. This is not something to really worry about it there's not really much you can do about it. Buddhism is a fantastic choice I do not know much about the religion/cosmology I do love the philosophy and teachings. Meditating is great there are tons of different methods you can try if you are having a tough time you can start by practicing some guided meditations just youtube it you will find plenty, Remember good posture.

As for what religion will protect you best get's a bit tricky Islam is not problem free as it has been promoted to be. It's and interesting belief system but also confusing on many points I don't want to get into it though. Read up on Jinns if you want to learn about spirits that can be malice in Islam.
I myself am Christian if you really want to learn about this religion it's much more difficult then you would think most people preaching "Christianity" are WAY off base with what they preach.
Wiccan and other "witch craft" based religions have many protection practices but often times seem to be more trouble then they are worth and very hard to learn about as well because they are so flooded with stupid teeny bopper hearsay.

In short though all protection comes from faith you can prey to any god you choose if you have no faith in it you will not see much for results.
As a Christian I can promise you the god I follow cares for you and is watching out for you weather or not you are Christian so if you want protection you can always prey to the almighty "I am",the name I am is the name god gave when asked who he was. Also if you are seeking enlightenment God also promised to give wisdom to those who asked for it so you could prey for that as well.
Sorry if it seems I'm really pushing Christianity on you I do not mean to I believe the best way to find a religion is to study as many as you can no one can really have faith in their religion if the refuse to consider other possibilities.
Edward89 (1 stories) (3 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2011-11-20)
here is my thought I my self aint all to religiouis I beleave that there is a hell and heaven I beleave that there is a god and a devil I don't follow neather but there is a preach that you might want to look in to his name is Jimmy Swaggart he is the only one that makes any seanse all the rest they just put on a show for the crowds I know it may be hard to take relgious advise from someone that is undecided but it aint religeoun that's going to protect you or any works of man it putting it up to a higher athority that is what makes seanse to me how can we save our selves we are born of sin it takes some thing bigger than us give it a thought
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-19)
Nikkstone - there are many, many religions out there. I don't think there is one true way - it's like saying there's only one route to the grocery store.

I don't think having a religion will help protect you from *ghosts* - ghosts, in my opinion, are either simply the lost spirits of the dead, human, but without a body, (whether or not we can communicate with them) or they are like a video recording of something that happened and it's stuck on a sort of loop.
Demons are another story, but I don't think there are as many demon attacks as people say. Not everything that seems scary is a demon.
Various religions have various opinions about demons, what they are, and what to do about them.

If you are experiencing something weird, the first thing to do is try really hard to debunk it. This time of year, furnaces are kicking on. Sometimes they do weird things - warm air can blow around the room in strange ways, make odd noises, things like that.

Talk to your parents. Maybe they know something that's going on that they haven't mentioned - or maybe they've ALSO experienced what you have, and didn't want to say anything for fear of scaring you.
What religion, if any, are your parents or guardians? Have you told them about your experience? I'd suggest talking to them before talking to total strangers on the internet.

For what it's worth, if you are sure you are being messed with, and you are scared, tell it to go away, in no uncertain words. Tell it to leave you alone. Then - since you are already meditating - imagine a white light all around you.

Good luck
Jitow (362 posts)
-4
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
you took on Bhuda all of the suddden. You have a long way to go my friend, but you are not alone. There are many out there searching for protection from this or tha. Get a Bible and go to a good Bible teaching church, invite the Holy Spirit of God to live in you and there will be no room for anything else to bother you. If you have read many of the post here you will see what works and what does not. Jesus saves and that is the truth.
ClooX (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
Whether you are religous or not, A Spirit can still get to you. Unless you have your house blessed. Having a religion cannot keep the dead away from you. Just keep that in mind. Xx
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
I had another thought. Attempts to work towards enlightenment can be interpreted by your mind as an assault on your physical senses, your logical mind, & your emotions, because you are trying to let go of your attachment to them. What you are experiencing could be a manifestation of your minds attempts to hold on to those attachments. It may not be an outside force at all. That may not change the way you deal with it, but exploring that possibility might help stop your minds attempts to sabotage you.
stephyw2001 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
I'm not going to get into a religious debate, but I just want you to consider one thing. There are some religions that intentionally make you fear for your soul. Talk of Devils and Demons and Hell... These were all established for one reason. To bring people back to church to pray for forgiveness so they won't have to suffer these things. I personally believe that they push the fear tactics to keep people coming back. Whenever money is exchanged in return for services, it is a form of a business. Whether "not for profit" or for profit, it doesn't matter. It is a business. That does not mean they don't have anything good to teach you, but one should never mindlessly believe something. Research, listen to your feelings, and then make your decisions.

"And that's all I have to say about that."
-Forrest Gump
BlueZeeh (guest)
-3
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
DARNIT. My sister got on my account. I seriously need to put a password on this... I did see a ghost when I was 5 and 16, both were my auntie. I miss her so much nnnngh <3 ❤

This comment from GhostBoyDazza is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

This comment from pinkparrot6202 is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

BlueZeeh (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
I, a Muslim, have never seen an entity in my 21 years, nor has the city. We believe in ghosts, but we believe they are unreachable, therefore making them have their own world, in which we call the Invisible World, having all the unseen people and creatures. God, or Allah, was one of them. Therefore, I believe that it can protect you, and if you are wondering, I am not a new muslim. I've been a muslim for 20 years, because I was unable to talk at the age of one.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
Well when you consider that EVERY single religion has in it's accounts bogies at the very least, and demons at most, in their mythology... The answer is no.

But then, every religion also shares one thing in common- a persecution complex. That being a member of said religion, automatically entitles one to be 'attacked' by the non-adherents of said religion.

One of the bigger things I've got against any religion, is that they, and every one of them does this- teaches that their and their way alone will give someone an ability to fight the forces of evil and vanquish naughty behaviors.

Provided you maintain 'good faith' and do everything the nice priests tell you.

And don't complain.

Spirituality on the other hand... Empowers individuals.
Mercury93 (5 stories) (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
if you're new to buddhism, it's best to meditate after getting a buddha statue and feeding the spirits. My family does it, (because we're buddhists and asian) because it shows respect to the spirit in your home, that you probably never knew about. By feeding them, it helps prevent spirits from harming you in any way.

Or the next step is to wear a buddha necklace or gold. Lots of gold. Not fake gold, real gold. It helps alot.
MuFox (3 stories) (40 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
Religion is just about how strong your faith is.
Can protect you or not, it's up to you on how you manage the situation.
Just my opinion. 😊
Thank you for sharing.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
I forgot to say, you should not acknowledge "it" at all, once you truly accept that it cannot effect you it will cease to try.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
The short answer to your question is that nobody knows. There are thousands, if not millions, of accounts of people seeking the assistance of a deity (or saint or hero) when they were frightened or harassed by supernatural "things.". Logically this means either all of the deities exist & are willing to help or the person's belief in the deity is sufficient to make these things leave you alone.

As you have started practicing meditation you will find you are far more aware of the world around you. It could be that "something" has been around & you have just started to notice it. I assume since taking Buddhism as your religion you have read the account of the enlightenment of the Buddha? As he meditated he was harassed by demons (see Hindu mythology for an explanation of these beings). It is possible that those same entities harass anyone who attempts to travel the path to enlightenment. The example of the Buddha tells you how to deal with them. Meditate & do not allow them to scare you. Easier said than done of course, but know that they cannot harm you if you realize that their existence, like yours, is an illusion. May I ask which sect of Buddhism you have chosen to follow? I strongly suggest you find a Buddhist temple & make arrangements to visit it & meet with a monk or meditation teacher. Even if it is only for a short visit, when getting started it is a huge help to have the advice & support of a practitioner. I expect that will be a challenge, being in a non-Buddhist country & not old enough to drive, but it is worth the effort.
nikkstone (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
thanks guys 😊 I'm kind of freaked about that the spirit will bother me whenever 😳but I do understand that this spirit might get more agressive and dangerous so if that day comes what should I do? Should I just tell it to go away or...?
Sade (1 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
Hi 😊 I'm new here. Here's what I think: Religion is all about thoughts and beliefs. There's nothing concrete about it unless you make it so, meaning if you believe in it. I think that when you decided to become buddhist, you opened your mind to the more paranormal aspects of life. This happened because in your mind you had already linked religion to demons and spirits. So technically no, having a religion will not protect you from anything unless you undoubtedly believe it will. The mind is a powerful thing 😊.
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-17)
In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you're religious or not. If that spirit in your room, or whatever it is, wants to bother you, it will.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: