You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Night Terrors Please Help... I Am At My Wits End

Real Ghost Stories

Night Terrors Please Help... I Am At My Wits End

 

I have severe night terrors and it is getting to the point that I barley sleep anymore. I am a 24 year old female with a 2 year old daughter and I have had night terrors since I was little, but as of the last 2 to 3 years they are getting worse and worse.

I have dreams that I am a police officer going into a house to do a drug raid and long story short my partner turned his back and I was stabbed. Only, I can literally feel the blades of the scissors entering my body and I feel every bit of pain. I can feel the blood as it soaks through my uniform, and I can feel my chest tighten as I lose the ability to breath from shock.

I have dreams of responding to a murder scene and having to pick up the pieces of human remains, the rest of the clean-up crew is just throwing the hunks into a hefty bag as though it is nothing but garbage. Then, the boyfriend of the murder victim comes in during our clean-up and puts a bullet in the back of my head. I can feel the steel of the barrel burning through my hair; I feel my scalp being burned away. I feel the bullet cracking through the bone of my skull and the horrendous pain as the bullet pierces through my brain. I can feel the blood dripping out of my skull and saturating my hair and then it's like I'm staring down at myself and into my lifeless eyes. Yet I still feel the pain.

Why is it I can feel the physical pain that occurs? I know why the context is what it is because I'm in school to be a police officer and EMT and we see gruesome scenes every day. I'm used to that but the fact that I feel the pain scares me to where I don't want to sleep because I am scared I am going to literally die in my sleep. Please help me I need sleep so bad. I get nauseated from the lack of sleep. This sucks.

I always saw ghosts when I was younger and now that my daughter is two you can tell she does too and it has brought back my sensitivity as well. I don't know if this has something to do with my dreams because I use to have really detailed premonitions as well and I am horrified that this will turn into just that. Please I am begging for some form of insight!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, erika521, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-31)
Wow! What happened to metanormalcom? I was just going to ask him if he was a friend of Zishu's.
Oh well, maybe next time. 🤔


Jav 😉
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
I can understand what you are experiencing and will endeavour to explain it as best as I can... Our sub conscious is our spiritual consciousness and when we dream, we are basically with in the walls of a paranormal state... And most people who have nightmares or dreams of being hurt don't actually feel any pain because of a gland with in our brain called the penal gland which takes us in and out of our sleep and most of the time confines the dream to the area of the mind, although sometimes there is some emotional back wash... I suspect due to the fact that you have been able to see ghost all your life, your penal gland is not quite switched off when you are dreaming... Meaning as you have these nightmares of being stabbed and shot, you are able to transcend the pain from mind to body which is just how powerful our mind can be, the fact that you are becoming a police officer is the fuel that is feeding your night terrors... I would expect with in time they will go away once you settle more into your occupation... I too have experienced being stabbed from one of these states and understand how confronting it is to comprehend.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
metanormalcom: Here on YGS, we try to be open with any helpful information we have... If you're privvy to info that could help this person or anyone in the future who may read this, please share it... Being clandestine and secretive is something we discourage, as it makes one seem a little, um, creepy 😊
metanormalcom (guest)
-2
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
You have left me breathless. Your story is much symbolic and It's never too late to know why those dreams appear to be so realistic that you almost feel them, I can help you and give you the meanings and support you, not in comments because some people will not like them anyway it's not theyr choice.Please,feel free to mail me at the mail you'll se on my profile, I really want to help you and I have all the info ready. Thank you for sharing.
Saurow (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
Not to scare you now, but I have had dreams that actually became true, but sometimes it played out differently than the dream... And then there's those deja vu's experiences I have got a ton of... I'm just sayin':/
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-12)
I'm surprised that Nysa didn't mention this... I'd suggest buying a dream catcher. Hang it near your bed, but not too close to a wall. I have never used one, but I've read many cases where it has helped the individuals who use them.
generalchaos (2 stories) (141 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-06)
I just want to add my thoughts to this as well. I've mentioned before now that I have really vivid dreams (or nightmares, as the case may be). I've had them as long as I can remember, and it's a rare day when I don't recall most of them in the morning.

I also have died in my dreams - burning to death, gassed to death, drowning, shot, etc... I haven't kept count. I've woken up with hand-shaped bruises where I was grabbed - in my nightmare, nowhere else.

The mind is a very funny thing. It can do marvelous things when given the chance.
I discovered on my own that a cup of hot milk with a shot of alcohol in it sometimes helped make them go away. I don't recommend this way of dealing with them.

I went to my doctor. Because I sometimes snore, she had me get tested for sleep apnea (which can produce restless sleep, among other things). When that came up negative, she prescribed a very small amount of Xanax nightly, before sleep. It's helped a lot.
Probably not the best route, but it's a pretty good one for now.

Another thing that's helped for me is writing them down. You have a good writing style - go for it. Write them down, in every little bit of graphic detail. Just go with it. It can be cathartic. Then once you get them out, submit the stories somewhere...

Best of luck
GC
Jammydodgerman (2 stories) (13 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-11-19)
This has been said a number of times in the comments below, but this is a really important piece of advice. Pick up the phone and call your doctor right away. You may think "a doctor can't treat this", but actually you'll be surprised. Insomnia and nightmares affects a surprising number of people, so if the doctor still can't help you, he/she can refer you to the right person for help.

If you think you can "ride it out" hoping that it will disappear on its own, I think that could be a bad decision. The doctor is pretty much the only person to give you a definitive answer to your problem.

Good luck!
Versus (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-19)
it seems like you feel it might be related to seeing "ghosts" but you didn't say anything specific about them. Is there something specific that made you think this?
lucky7 (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-19)
Just to say, I'm sorry your going through very real feeling dreams. My husband has had simlar type dreams and be very painful. They have stopped for along time now. Not sayin this will help, but he worried about everything, always upthight, and looked at anybody or thing and profiled it and found something wrong with it. When he learnd to enjoy and relax and trust his gust and looked at his dreams as a look out tool. This helped him. Besides that, made sure befor bed he was totally relaxed and happy. Plused he prayed. I hope this can help you. God bless
Tiffanyj (1 stories) (11 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
Erika you should really go and see a counselor and talk about what your dreaming and feeling, we can give you a lot of cheap advice but it probably won't help you in the long run, they must have people you can talk to in the force as they are no stranger to the stresses officers face in the field. Otherwise I would consider quitting your training and get another job, you might not be up to it. Good luck
erika521 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
Thank you everyone for the insight. [at] Nysa I would have posted this somewhere else but there is no where else. I have been seeking information and some form of help for many years. Theres barely anyone out there who will listen to these things other than those interested in the paranormal. It may not be a ghost story to you but for me its more horrific. Sorry to have "muddied" your story pool. And this is not imagination. I am not Stephen King trying to make a new hit novel. This is my life and it is greatly affected by this.

[at] Blue Turtle thanks for sharing you dreams. It really does help knowing that there is other people who can feel the pain in there dreams as well. I seriously thought there was something majorly wrong with me.
Jitow (362 posts)
-4
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
Jesu my friend. Get a Bible read it and pray> I guarantee if you focus on Him that crap will disappear and anything else that is bothering you. The first thing to do is stop an think about what is going on. You are in school, stressed, maybe a little apprehensive about what the job will be like and so on. This is when evil comes into the picture to play upon that anxiety and make it worse. The field you have chosen is a needed andcritical service to all people, evil does not want you to help people in any way. Trust your education, career and life to Christ and God will bless what you have chosen to do. Don't let anyone tell you different or cloud your judgment with hoodoo crap, do the right thing and He will bless you for it and give you the peace and rest that you need that is beyond understanding.
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+7
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
Based on your dreams and your profession, I would say that you have a lot of anxiety about your job. Has anything been happening at work that hits you particularly hard? I know it's a drastic thing to say, but perhaps you need a career change? Though I know, especially in this market, that would be near an impossibility.

But as far as your dreams go, don't worry. I have actually had quite a few dreams where I've been attacked by animals or injured. While they're no fun (feeling the hair of a raccoon as it mauls me, or feeling the pressure and breathlessness as a deer gores me and lifts me off the ground), these dreams are harmless. I wouldn't worry about the possibility of dying in your sleep. Believe it or not, and I can't convince you that I'm not merely relating to you for comfort's sake, I have died in my dreams before (though I'm no expert on the relation between death in mind and death in body, or if dreams relate to that). It sounds utterly ridiculous, but I've frozen to death, and burned to death twice. The second time was excruciating because it was from a nuclear explosion. I had accepted my fate and turned my back on the blast, thinking it would be over in a second, but the heat kept rising at a slow pace and I could feel my skin blistering, wondering if it was ever going to end and even telling myself to wake up!

I interpreted those dreams as flukes, even though I could feel what was happening. It's a matter of brain power, in my opinion. Hopefully, yours end once you figure out what may be plaguing you in real life. I hope your nightmares cease and that you and your daughter are able to find some peace. Hang in there.

And I don't know if this will help, but I heard that if you are able to go to bed at an earlier hour or stop eating at least two hours before sleep, your chances of a nightmare will decrease. Of course I don't know your sleeping habits, but they're worth a shot. ❤
ClooX (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
bluefoxx01 how would you feel if you had to deal with that? This story is quite scary, considering you can feel what's happening to you in your nightmare!
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
http://www.nightterrors.org/

Could be premonitions, could not.

No way to be sure. But the website may help.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
Some people have really vivid dreams & recent research has shown that the parts of our brain that corresponds to actually doing something is effected when we dream about doing it. Your brain just seems to be over-doing it (which is why you are physically feeling it). It seems to have been put in overdrive when your hormones changed due to having a child & your current training is giving your unconscious mind (the part that makes dreams) fodder for many nightmares. You should speak with your physician, you obviously need to treat this sleep disorder since you report you can barely get any sleep due to it.

That said, bluefoxx is right. This person needs advice but this really is not a ghost story by any stretch of the imagination. The poster should have been referred elsewhere for advice in my opinion. Accounts of nightmares muddy the ghost story pool.
kedrioblivion (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
I understand where your coming from. I have had a few night terrors here and there and it has happened for years. People say I'm being attcked by demons or about to be possessed. I don't know what its all about, but I could feel everything. I would be chased, hunted, killed, trapped, or even all of the above. I would feel everything

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: