You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Hallway Creature

Real Ghost Stories

The Hallway Creature

 

I've never asked for help on this website before, but this is one situation that I refuse to tolerate.

Here's the back-story:

My parents' house is a long, L-shaped outfit. The back half was added over the course of three years (1992 - 1995), and eventually housed four kids' bedrooms, and the schoolroom. We remodeled again in 2004, converting the attached garage into a movie theater, effectively elongating the back half of the house further.

Due to all of the remodeling, my parents' entire house is pretty much one long hallway, with rooms branching off to the sides, and one big living/kitchen/dining room area in the very front. Ever since I can remember, I've been terrified of the back half of this hallway, and so has my younger sister. Until recently, we haven't been able to properly articulate exactly what it is about the hallway that scares us, but for as long as I've lived in that house, I have never been in that hallway longer than was necessary. In fact, it's a common sight to see me sprinting up the back hallway in order to get to the front of the house. In fact, no one who enters the house likes that hallway at all.

When you're in the back of the house, it feels like there's something with you. I say something, not someone, because I don't necessarily feel like it's a person. It's just a thing, and it follows you and chases you down the hall. But it doesn't always do the same thing with every person. It follows my sister, but from a distance. It follows me as well, but it literally chases me, always feeling like its mere inches from my back, like it's going to grab my shoulder at any moment and drag me back with it.

My current problem began a few weeks ago, while I was staying at my parents' for the weekend to watch my younger sister. Now, I've been moved out for about 8 months, after having stayed with my parents for about a year, and while I was there I never felt anything like what's been happening recently.

Both nights I spent there, I felt an awful, terrifying sense of dread. The house is spooky at night with its long hallways and dark corners, but this felt different. I refused to expose my back when walking through the hallways at night, and I certainly wouldn't allow my daughter to roam the back half of the house without me, let alone stay in any one room alone. An unnatural fear trapped me in the large kitchen/living/dining room area the entire weekend.

At night, after my sister had gone to bed and I was ready to turn in as well, I would go into the guest bedroom, where my daughter slept in one of the two twin beds. Under normal circumstances, I would close the door behind me, take the other bed, and that would be that. This time, I couldn't help but feel this panic-inducing sense of fear take hold of me and tell me not to leave my daughter alone. After closing the door, I climbed in with her, tucked the blankets tightly around us, and tried desperately to fall asleep. I simply couldn't. Irrational as I felt it was, I got the sense that there was something right outside the bedroom door, very low to the ground, waiting for the chance to get in. I'm not a religious person, but I prayed anyway, and eventually I fell asleep praying. This happened both nights that I was there, the unseen force of fear unwavering. Always sitting outside the bedroom at night, keeping me from entering the back hallway during the day.

I've told my mother that I refuse to spend another night there, so this weekend, my younger sister came to stay at my apartment. Last night, after she left to go back home, I turned in for the night. My apartment is not at all scary; I've always felt perfectly safe and at home there. But last night, after I got into my bed and pulled the covers over my head (to get warmer faster), I started feeling uneasy. Very uneasy. Almost immediately, I tucked the covers beneath my feet, pulled them high over my head, and began to regulate my breathing, trying not to hyperventilate.

After maybe a minute or so of this, and feeling like the darkness was a solid thing trying to close in on me, a portion of the covers were yanked down about four inches, exposing the top of my head. Needless to say, I panicked. I started praying again, over and over and over, imagining a white light around me, trying to force away anything negative that was in the room. I wanted desperately to get up and grab my daughter from her bedroom to protect her from whatever this was, but I was literally petrified with terror. I tried to move my hands from their praying position, but I couldn't find the will to do so. I was, once again, trapped by fear. As with the last episode, I eventually fell asleep praying.

I'm concerned that whatever was lurking in my parents' house for all those years may have followed my sister into my home. I would dearly like to smudge my home to see if that helps, but I'm unfamiliar with the ritual. I feel a little insane saying this, but this thing seems to have it out for me, as I'm the only one it follows so closely, and certainly the only person it seems to be so attracted to (it follows everyone, but only chases and waits for me). I legitimately fear for my daughter as long as this is happening. Either this is something terrible that's bothering me, or there's something wrong with my head and I'm just paranoid.

Please let me know what you think; I'm desperate to stop this before it gets out of hand, and before my daughter is brought into it.

Other hauntings by little_love_lolo

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, little_love_lolo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-04-13)
I'm going to consider this my final update on this particular story. Things ended up getting much better after the cleansing, and the strange feelings all but stopped. Whatever it was, either the cleansing worked and got rid of it entirely, or it simply curled back into the shadows. I do know that when I have visited my mom's house since then, I haven't had quite the same violent feeling of 'there's something behind me', so that's good! In addition, my boyfriend, daughter and I have moved out of the apartment since my last comment, and we're currently ghost/spirit free.:)
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-29)
Thank you for the update, Lolo. So often we don't find out "what happens next" here. I grew up in a house with a back hallway upstairs and my siblings and I were terrified of that hallway. Please keep us posted.
little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-29)
Well, it's been a week since this problem started. I did a condensed version of Rook's cleansing (no candle, and I had a toddler to work around), and for the first few nights after the original post, things were a bit tense, but not as awful as that one night. I've also begun praying over my daughter (and in general) every night, and have found that this, combined with the cleansing, has yielded apparently effective results. I still refuse, however, to stay at my mother's house. I'll wait and see if this sticks; I'm crossing my fingers. Thank you, everyone. ❤
little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
[at] Argette: Thank you, I do pride myself on my storytelling skills. I wish I were telling this story under less stressful circumstances, though!

[at] robertar: I have seriously considered starting daily prayers, as thus far it seems the best way to keep this 'thing' at bay.

[at] Rook: Thank you! I will start the cleansing today.

[at] geetha: I very much appreciate your concern, and will certainly keep you all updated. Thank you so much. ❤
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
little_love_lolo,
I suggest you follow Rook's cleansing steps as it has been known to work. Also keep us updated! We will keep you in our prayers.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
little_love_lolo,

Please try this it is one that I use for myself and my Family.

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church/Positive, Upbeat (songs that give you good thoughts) songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Please keep us informed.

Respectfully,

Rook
robertar (223 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-11-22)
As a parent, I try to pray daily (nightly) that no unclean spirit be allowed into our home. A few years ago I'd read an account by a new mother where her and husband had an entity attacking their baby. They found there was quiet when they prayed, but that the thing might return any night they forgot to pray.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-21)
As always, a spellbinding telling of a fascinating occurrence, LLL. You have style.

You are getting good advice here. I can't add anything, but I wish you the best.
little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-21)
Thank you, Moongrim, that one looks like it'll be a bit more help. ❤
little_love_lolo (4 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-21)
[at] Moongrim: It's ironic that a red door is supposed to repel spirits. My front door couldn't be any redder, yet here this thing is.

[at] Naru: I'm VERY skeptical about exorcisms. And if I weren't, we live in a very well-off town infested with yuppies. This place has its own kind of people. Our local churches would A) probably never perform an exorcism, and B) if they did they would charge an arm and a leg, neither of which I can spare.

Anyone know any smudging or cleansing rituals I can try? 😢
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-21)
I just now noticed that the Real Ghost Repellants page has been rather dramatically...circumscised.

Instead I offer:

Http://www.hollowhill.com/guide/ifghost.htm
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-21)
Cold iron is a poetic and archaic term for iron, referring to the fact that it feels cold to the touch. In modern usage the term has been most associated with folkloric beliefs that iron could ward off ghosts, fairies, witches, and/or other malevolent supernatural creatures.

Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_in_folklore#Cold_iron

Real Ghost Repellents

Feeling unexplained cold? Seeing human figures floating through your room at night? Then you may want to consider a ghost repellent. Dr. Lyons mentions several remedies to Jack, all of them real.

St. Dymphna is the Catholic patron saint of mental disorders. Those troubled by ghosts are advised to pray to her.

Http://www.katherinemarsh.com/RealGhostRepellents.htm

Good Luck.
Naru_117 (19 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-11-21)
I personally cannot help you but if you are Catholic I would advise speaking to a priest about it and possibly asking for either a personal exorcism or a home exorcism... Possibly both if you feel it necessary. I would also think about one for the child as well... If you aren't Catholic I'd advise speaking to your religious leaders and see what they think... Sorry I can't be more help.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: