You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Hilarity In The Presence Of Fear

Real Ghost Stories

Hilarity In The Presence Of Fear

 

This tale is a recounting of another experience I had this past Halloween. So for those of you that haven't read any of my stories yet I am a tad bit sensitive to spirits. I'm so used to paranormal activity that I'm actually very casual about it, unless it's necessarily violent. Even then I'll still act cool about it. Hehe finding Hilarity in the presence of fear really helps one cope with this lifestyle.

Anyways last Halloween my Gypsy/Wiccan friend Bekka decided it would be cool for a group of "believers" to go to a local legendary area. We call this place the road of the cross (I do believe that the place has a proper name, however we do not know it). Before that I would like to go into a little backstory to my dear friend Bekka.

Bekka is very popular at my school for being very brash, brave, honest, and beautiful. She has some Roma in her family and she is a Wiccan in a more spiritual sense rather than bloodline. We actually became friends due to my spiritual encounters. She cannot feel spirit's the same way I can; however she has the natural impulses most people have- which is usually certain emotional stimuli that occurs in the presence of a strong spiritual entity.

Anyways this place is very popular among teenagers due to the numerous rumours that surround it. The road is about a mile long with several hundred crosses (like a holy cross) made out of many materials scattered throughout the road. It's INSANELY creepy and so is the backstory to it. They say that a man went insane and killed his wife and child, believing it to be "god's will". He then created several hundred holy crosses of all signs with prayers etched into each one. This is just the rumours of course. Nevertheless there is a strong feeling of dread there even during the day and I tend to stay away from it at all times.

I foolishly gave into peer pressure and led the way along with Bekka due to the fact that it's near impossible to find even to the point where people believe that it only appears to those who can speak to the dead (hence why they made me lead the way).

We eventually found the road and parked our car to the side next to the cross the size of an electrical pole. We then began to walk around the road in an attempt to seek out the spirit of the wife and child. Bekka was using me as a ghost detector and it was incredibly demeaning and aggravating. However no matter how much I told her it doesn't work like that she continued to use me so. She's lucky I have a high tolerance to her shenanigans.

About an hour passed and my friends were complaining that although the place was incredibly terrifying, there were no ghosts. We began to walk back to the car when I noticed a small shack on the other side of the road. I said that we should check it out but everyone was too chicken. Me, Bekka, and about three other people decide to go while, three people stayed by the car like very intelligent people.

As we walked toward the shack, I began to realize that it was actually a small home. It was the home where the rumoured terrors occurred. At this point my mind was telling to stay as far away from the place as possible. I told everyone that it wasn't worth it and they took this as a sign that the ghosts where there and that I was too stubborn to admit it. However... They were right. I could feel a strong presence of dread emanating from the home. I wanted nothing to do with it. While everyone walked in, I made the mistake of walking off into the woods. Let me explain my incredibly stupid decision. I felt so sick to my stomach that I swear I was experiencing minor cases of Virtigo. I couldn't experience any form of balance and everything was getting blurry.

This is when I see something that still creeps me out to the core. I felt a throbbing in my head when I faced a small area in the woods. At the centre of this was a shadow. A very large muscular man sized shadow. I knew I had to get away. I didn't care if I wasn't sure what it was. I screamed and told it to go away with as much force as I could. The shadow then lifted up its hand, and pointed at me. I then immediately turned around and ran. I ran as fast as I could. I thought I was going to die.

As I was running for dear life, I ran into a smaller figure. I screamed very loud, and so did the figure. It turned out to be Bekka. She said she got worried after a while because she felt a bit sick in the house and I was missing. She was calling for me. However I wasn't far enough from the home to not hear her. I decided not to care and told her we had to get out of here. She kept pestering me why and was trying to keep me from running. I told her that she was being that one stupid overly brave girl who dies in the films because she won't listen.

She began to laugh and started booing me, mocking me. I told her to shut up and then she suddenly stopped. Her face went pale and she slowly turned around. She then screamed and ran. The figure was behind us and was very close. We ran to the car and made sure everyone was in and then we floored it. To this day I believe it to be the restless spirit of the man who created the road in the first place. I haven't gone back ever since.

Other hauntings by BriBri

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Alabama

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BriBri, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

simply13 (3 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-21)
Hahahaha reading your story made me think that I am watching a comedy scary movie.
Thanks for the upload, it was indeed scary haha
BriBri (4 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-25)
Yeah, The whole story behind the road was just a rumor after all. But I still stand by what I saw. It wasn't alive, as far as I could tell. It had no distinguishing features whatsoever. As dark as it was I still should have been able to see a face as The lighting was no better when I found Bekka and she was still as clear as day. I think this may also have to do with the shade that I have been seeing recently and the one that was trapping me in my bedroom. And I'm sure it wasn't just nerves because I do this kind of crap a lot actually and I wasn't nervous at all before hand.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2011-11-25)
BriBri: There was only one road in Alabama that I could find any info on... Here are a couple of links about a road of crosses in Prattville, Alabama:
Http://www.thecross-photo.com/William_C._Rice's_Cross_Garden.htm

Http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2019

As you can see, the explanation for the crosses has nothing to do with a man murdering his wife and child... I think maybe your experience was a product of adrenalin and the very spooky atmosphere... You may have seen somebody, but it probably wasn't an entity... 😊

Even so, I enjoyed reading your story!...Thank you for posting...
isabellahocroft (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-24)
Wow, ahah I'm pretty stupid so I'd be the one going into the house and telling everyone to follow me around the woods. I see a lot of things, feel a lot of things and hear a lot of things. Me beign the stupid one would probably go back and try to find out if it really was him:P

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: