You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: My Sister And The Old Hag's Attack

Real Ghost Stories

My Sister And The Old Hag's Attack

 

My sister went on a winter trip with some friends of hers last year and had a really fabulous time. However, there was a very bad surprise for her during the second night of her trip. She shared a room with her friend in a really cozy, traditional hostel on a mountain. As they were deep asleep, my sister suddenly felt 2 hands grabbing her all over her body. She could not see anyhting because the room was totaly dark. She was trying to resist that thing- whatever on earth it was- but that was impossible, it was trying to choke her. All that she could feel was physical pain and fear! She started screaming and her friend who was sleeping at the bad beside hers woke up and tried to calm her down. My sister got so frightened that she could not sleep at all after this incident. Since then, she always prays before going to bed and she sleeps with a picture of Maria and Jesus next to her head, because she suspects there might had been a demon stalking her that night and she doesn't want to experience something familiar ever again!

I asked my sister "are you sure it was not a dream?" and she insists that this scary experience felt too real, she could actually feel these hands that were choking her and that's so creepy. I know there are realistic dreams and I have to tell you that, no matter how charmed am I by the spiritual stuff, I'm a sceptic and I always try to find a rational explanation for the strange happenings- and usually there is such an explanation- before I turn my thoughts to ghost activity.

In this case, although I'm not convinced that it wasn't just a bad dream, I have to tell you my opinion: I'm a Greek- Orthodox and in my country there is a traditional belief claiming that during the 12 days between Christmas and the 6th of January (which in our religion is the day that Jesus got baptized and blessed the water, making the bad spirits go away) there is a sort of demon- like spirits who emerge on the surface of the earth (they live underground the whole year) and their activity is to stalk people for 12 days, starting from Christmas until January 6th. Usually, they are not mischievous, they rather look for a funny way to play (like stealing food and eating the Christmas candy) but they can be bad. When the water is blessed by a ritual on January 6th, they are supposed to go away and return next year.

The reason why I mention this infomation is because my sister's experience took place on December 30... I'm not claiming this is the only explanation, I just think it's interesting. Thank you for reading.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Greece

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, hekate, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

hekate (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-03)
Ha, ha...yeap! "Kalikantzaros" is quite a strange word to be explained in english! Thanks for reading and for the feedback, as well! 😊
KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-03)
Hahaha!Now I get it! I am sorry that I didn't see that you stated "traditional belief" in your story and was side tracked. But even so, I wouldn't have figured you were talking about "kalikantzaros".Thanks for the clarification...

Filika,
Krystallia
hekate (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-01)
Hello! Actually, it's a tradition that exists in whole Greece, maybe I couldn't describe it properly in enlgish. I'm talking about "kalikantzaros", people refer to it by using different names in many parts of our country. It is not a religious belief, it is a traditional belief.:)
KRYSTALLIA (64 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-01)
hekate welcome to YGS. May I please ask which part of Greece you are from? I'm also Greek and Greek Orthodox and I have never ever heard of this bad spirit emerging between Christmas and Fota (6th January).I'm thinking that perhaps it's something local? You are right, it sounds like sleep paralysis. I am quite curious though about what you mentioned about the bad spirits.

Filika,
Krystallia 😊
Hellhound (2 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-30)
No problem:)
It could be supernatural, but the problem with the supernatural is that nothing is for sure, every person has their own ideas and expectations and hence project these ideas onto their experience. You say that it happens within the same time frame, so it could be the demon you mentioned or something else projecting itself in this way because of your family beliefs, keep a record and keep me updated and I'll do a bit of research and see what I can find ❤
hekate (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-30)
Thank you for your feedback!:) Well, that happened only once to my sister, but I have to tell that my mom and my grandmother have experienced familiar stuff and the weird thing is that the incidents took place at the same period (Christmas- January 6th). I thing that the explanation is actually sleep paralysis, because everything happens when people are deep asleep... However, it's really frightening... I will post more stuff from time to time!
Hellhound (2 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-30)
That is very interesting, I feel sorry for your sister to go through something like that, supernatural or not it would be horrible thing to go through. One explanation can be sleep paralysis. During sleep paralysis you may find that you are being sat on, strangled and even hallucinate, these can include demons or evil entities.
Although there is a lot of lore on this type of thing, for example in the middle east they believe in the jathoon, a creature which sits on the sleepers cheats, weighing them down and strangling them, has this only happen the one time?
And yes it is weird about the timing lol:)
Keep us updated

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: