You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My First Unsettling Encounter With The Unknown

Real Ghost Stories

My First Unsettling Encounter With The Unknown

 

I'm sure many of you have heard of "The Hat Man" as he is called on the internet. I've only recently discovered that the strange experience of seeing The Hat Man was more widespread than my own experience. I have seen The Hat Man and it is something that has bothered me my entire life.

The first time I remember seeing him was around the age of five. At the time we were living in Fredericksburg in a small house located in a quiet neighborhood. It would have been around 1990 when all of this began. I don't remember my first encounter exactly but I do remember many subsequent encounters with The Hat Man.

Basically, I would wake up in the middle of the night to use the restroom like any normal child would, I suppose. My mother always left the door to my bedroom--which I shared with my younger brother--and more often than not he would be standing there. The Hat Man was a dark shadowy apparition. It appeared to be about six or so feet tall. He wore a large-brimmed hat that always covered his eyes. He was dressed in a long coat of some sort, most likely a trench coat. The area where there would be facial features was shrouded in a misty, grey color that gave the appearance that no face existed on him. The worst part of all I suppose, at least in my memory was the fact that his legs just vanished a bit past his knees.

He always just stood there. Never moved. Sometimes he was right in the doorway, other times a bit back. Sometimes more to the right, other time more the left. He never entered my bedroom; I am not sure why not, to be honest. I would have passed this off as merely a troubled imagination if it wasn't for the fact that it followed me.

When I was eight years old we moved about 16 miles out of town, about halfway between Harper and Fredericksburg. He was there too. His behavior never changed, he'd just stand there, apparently staring at me. As I am sure you can imagine, I was quite terrified and decided that wetting my bed was a better idea than trying to face the terrifying apparition that haunted me each night. As a result I kept what I saw a secret from my family for years and instead just took the shame of being a bed wetter instead.

Eventually, when I was 11 years old, my parents divorced and we moved halfway across the state to Hallettsville. I never saw him again...

Many years later, when I was in my early twenties I finally told my mother and brother what I had seen while I was a child living in Fredericksburg. They seemed concerned, but not as much as I was when my brother told me something chilling. After I had moved out of my mother's house when I was almost 16, my brother told me that he got up to use the restroom once and standing outside of my old bedroom was The Hat Man, staring at my closed door.

I've never seen him since and I never hope to, but I have always been concerned as to why he followed me for so long, what did he want and has anyone else had dealing with The Hat Man? I always wondered if it tied into my experiences at the Ezzell School (which I will regale very soon).

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Saiman, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

tomtomjh1983 (11 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-03)
What ever these beings may be, there are many instances across the globe that place this same shadow man among the ranks of being common place.

I too, have come across this being just recently. Though he bares the similar descriptions as many have implied, how I came to see him on the other hand, differs greatly.

My experience started when I fell asleep one night. I was resting sound, until in a near instance I felt as if I were being pulled from my body and forcefully taken into the living room. As this was being carried out, a voice spoke to me saying, " I want you to see what he really looks like." I felt no fear to this voice as I felt it was showing me this being to either caution me or inform me that this being has hidden his true form from my mind.

As we neared the center of the living room I saw him, a tall shadow man, completely black wearing some strange old, western styled hat. It didn't move, it didn't speak, it merely stood there as if it were frozen.

It appeared almost like an image. Unaware of my presence or it's surroundings. The presence showing me this being wasn't harmful nor malevolent. It felt familiar, like some guiding force revealing this beings true form. Well after being shown this form, I was immediately yanked back into body and awoke straight up.

I do not know why I was shown this or for what reason, it just happened. I also have no knowledge as to why this needed to be done. Well in any case I feel I should share my similarity in experiencing this "Hat Man." No matter how common place these experiences seem to be. God Bless!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-06)
Ahhh the ol Hat Man, so many stories and encounters with this entity out there! He doesn't seem to be malevolent at all but they do seem to always give off the unnerving feeling of being watched and stared at. I get the feeling that it may have been watching over you perhaps, or it was intrigued by you or something within the home.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-06)
Stroup, I do agree with you there. My sibs and I never shared our fears with each other growing up, but as adults were were able to talk about them. My parents never ridiculed us, but we still chose not to talk about our fears and our scary incidents.

Stormangel, I never got a good read on the shadows I saw. I guess I considered them sort of sneaky. Haven't seen one in years.
Stroup (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-06)
[at] Argette

I can answer your question about not telling parents / family... Because people have a fear of being ridiculed. They don't want to be called crazy, or it could also be that family will just say "it was a nightmare"

[at] The story teller

I have a question, when you see the Hat Man, do feel his presence? I had a similar experience and I felt the energy and hatred, but I don't remember what mine looked like, just a black blob before I turned over in fear.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-06)
My first thought was that it could have been a guardian of sorts that was following you. But I have to agree with Taz890 that it is really creepy to have someone stare at you let alone a spirit or things not of this world.

I have a question for you. When you mentioned that your brother saw the hat man looking at your closed door after you moved out, was this in your home in Hallettsville?
stormangel (3 stories) (55 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-04)
Your welcome argette, it's great to be able to talk without getting a skeptical look, and the relief (but scared too) that others had seen these shadow beings. I seen 2 teardrop shaped pure black, like oil, things racing towards the electricity socket, first from the corner of my eye but seen them head on when I turned to look. I have mostly told people what I have seen but have never mentioned walking past the kitchen door, seeing what I thought was my own shadow but it was pitch black, I had my head one third turned towards it, and in the split second it took me to realise something looked 'wrong' it was gone, I tried every way of walking, trying to recreate that shadow but couldnt. It done a great job of mimicking my movements but it was faster and lifting its arms up to much, as mine were only very slightly swinging, I was too far from the wall for the shadow to be that size, that black and have such a sharp outline. I don't even want to mention it, it'll be "There she goes with her shadows again" so just had to tell somebody who knows how confusing it is, thanks 😁
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-04)
Stormangel, I know exactly where you are coming from. I saw shadows out of the corner of my eye for many years before I realized they might be anything more than my imagination. I never said anything to anyone, and just found out recently (one of the things that send me to this site) that other people saw them, too. This stuff is all new to me, yet all my life - and my mother's, too - odd things have happened. Yes, I know what you mean - everything you say resonates with me. Thank you for responding.
stormangel (3 stories) (55 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-04)
[at] Argette, personally speaking I wonder if what I am seeing is my eyes playing tricks first, then I because I have shared past experiences with family, even though my mother has had many strange encouters and precognitive dreams, I don't like sharing recent things with them because I feel they might think I am attention seeking, over exaggerating or have some disorder 😕.
The ones I have seen have not had a hat on, there are different 'types' and I could not believe how common it was/is. Some give off a aura of hate while others just seem curious or even friendly. Excellent story, thank-you for sharing, I love shadow/hat-man encouters as the more we share... Maybe one of us could have proper communication and share that, they certainly seem to be getting 'braver'. 😁
30StMFan (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-04)
Maybe the Hat Man was your guardian, and when he was standing near your closed door maybe he missed watching over you (?) 😐
Hellhound (2 stories) (37 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-03)
Hey, very interesting story:)
I have looked around and many people have had such experiences.
I will do some more research as to weather these shadow people or the hat man have reason for howling themselves to people and why.
I would recommend hanging a wind chime (I can't vouch for this but many people with encounters say it does help) and some rock salt around your house.
I'll get back to you when I know more.
Best of luck, I really enjoyed reading your story:)
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-12-01)
saiman, interesting post thanks for adding,
Firstly this was very well written and "feels" like an awful experience you had to go through I'm glad you say it has been some time since you last saw him.
Have to say that it is a common thing with this entity that he just stands and stares, I think that has to be the worst thing that happens with the hat man the feeling of being watched is bad enough but to see the entity doing it is just plain freeky!
And to have your brother tell you that he too has seen him watching your room! That's just too much to think about.
I enjoy reading the posts on here (well some anyway) and when this entity is mentioned I'm always in 2 minds about reading them, I like the posts but I do get the creeps reading them and that part I could do without.
Thanks again for adding this
Carl
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-01)
I just learned about the Hat Man a few months ago when my siblings and I were together talking about our sleep paralysis experiences. My nephew claims to have seen him. My first encounter with this phenomenon was when a coworker told me about seeing the shadow of a dark man with a hat. I did not realize how widespread this sighting is.

Why - so often - do we not share our experiences with our parents or siblings when we are seeing them? Are we afraid of ridicule or giving voice to our fears? That really interests me.

I look forward to the other responses to this interesting post. Thank you, Saiman.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: