You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghost in the Backseat

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost in the Backseat

 

This story isn't about me, it's about my friend's encounter. My friend Matt was talking to his girlfriend outside of his house at night. Because it was cold out, he decided to sit in his car in the driveway. So he went and sat in the passengers seat. As he was talking to his girlfriend, he glanced into the rearview mirror of his car. What happens next, he swears is true and I believe him. He said he saw an old man in the backseat of his car. He did not recognize him at all, but he tells me he can still remember his face as clear as day. He described him as pale, he had a narrow nose, he was clean shaven, and dark eyes, almost black looking.

So he turned around to look back, but nothing was there. That is when he became frightened and jumped out of the car. He ran into his house. As he looked back into the car while running, he saw the man's face pressed against the glass, staring right at him. So he ran back into his house to tell his parents, who didn't believe him at all. This is where the story gets interesting.

When he went back to look into his car the next morning, the seatbelts in the back were buckled up. He also noticed that the rearview mirror was tilted in a different direction. So he decided to do a little research about his car. He found out that his parents actually bought it from a man they were good friends with. It turns out that the man's father died from a heart attack in the backseat of the very car they purchased.

So Matt asked if they could get a picture of the man's father, and it just so happens that they could. I was actually at his house at the time he saw the picture, and when I saw his eyes meet the photograph, his jaw dropped and eyes widened. I took a look at the photo, and he looked just as Matt had described him. The man in the picture looked exactly the same, down to every last detail. After that picture, his parents fully believed him, although they have kept the car.

Ever since that night, however, he hasn't seen the old man in the mirror again.

Other hauntings by Trogdor

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Trogdor, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

GhostStoriesRule1 (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
16 years ago (2008-07-01)
😐 wow... That must have been scary... Hey check out my story: the ghost boy in my house:)...i think...lol
mandakitten (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-05)
it was smart of your friend to know enough to ask questions and seek out proof, so many people just brush it off as there imaginations and don't even think to look at it logically. He can either except the old man at a part of his vehicle or he can try to expel the old gentleman, but honestly, I'd try and except I'd probably also keep the picture with the car to make him happy to be remembered.
Trogdor (2 stories) (1 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-04)
I'm pretty sure that it is his first car. Because I've known his family for quite some time and don't remember them having any other cars.
evilblackwidow9 (6 stories) (132 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-03)
Maybe just wanted to make his presence known. And he could be watching out for your friend. Is this his first car?
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-02)
Dear Trogdor,

The old gentleman in the backseat may have some leftover energy imprint or residual having found himself traumatically dead after a heart attack. He will most likely move on or cross over, and may already have done so if there have been no further sightings. Please see comments and articles here on this site on how to handle such entities. Please also do your own homework and research on how best to remove unwanted guests who are physically or materially attached to previously owned objects in accordance to your own personal beliefs.--Abby
pdelaney (1 stories) (3 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-01)
yeah so do i, it think that hes a friendly ghost so he just just deal with the ghost because it won't harm him
redone1867 (4 stories) (37 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-06-30)
Well I think he may be trapped in the car or it is that he is there to protect your friend and is telling him to buckle up because something may be about to happen. Tell your friend to be very leary of traffic and accidents just to be safe, it may be a warning of some sort.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: