You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Various Paranormal Happenings With My Family

Real Ghost Stories

Various Paranormal Happenings With My Family

 

My dad was twelve or thirteen when this happened. He was hunting with his dad and his brother in Vermont, and the mountains they were hunting on were believed to be haunted. In fact, the book Green Mountain Ghost Tales was based off those mountains.

Anyway, he got lost and came across a beaver pond about the size of an average classroom. He stood there for a second, but he noticed that a man about the size of a toddler was standing on the other side. He started to get nervous and he tried to walk away but he couldn't move. The little man was dressed all in green, with a hat, and a black goatee. He started to beckon to my dad and started saying "Joe. Joe, come to me." Joe is my dad's nickname. But after a bit, Dad found he could move again and he booked it out of there.

Another creepy story associated with my family is that my cousin, Kathryn, is at college in New Hampshire. I find myself obligated to tell you that she goes to Keene State, as the building across from hers is said to be haunted. She was packing to leave for Thanksgiving (we were spending it at my other cousin's house) and her friend (let's call her Emily) came in and told her that our Grandma was looking for her. She described a "shortish, gray-haired lady with glasses", which sounds EXACTLY like my grandmother. The lady then asked to see "Kathryn, she's a short, skinny girl with long blonde hair". Kathryn started getting creeped out at this point because she KNEW that Grandma was in Massachusetts. Emily told her that the old lady was outside their dorm window, and that Kathryn could come see if she wanted. They ran to her dorm and looked, but no one was there. Emily started to get scared, because some of their friends were there, talking to the lady. Kathryn went back to her room feeling nervous. She called my grandma to check that she was still in Massachusetts (she was), and finished packing. I don't know if she and Grandma have a connection or what, but I thought it was a creepy story for y'all to enjoy and/or give advice on.

Other hauntings by Smokex12

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Maine

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Smokex12, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Smokex12 (3 stories) (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-12)
Wow, I forgot about this story and then when I came back to it there were so many comments! Thanks to all you guys for commenting and giving opinions... I will definitely let my cousin and dad know!
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-09)
The first story is very interesting. Historically stories of sprites (wee folk, elves, whatever you prefer to call them) often feature attempts to lure people into the "otherworld." You don't hear those accounts often anymore.

As for the second story, perhaps you should think beyond your grandmother. The description would fit millions of people. Maybe it was an ancestor, your grandmother's mother or grandmother, checking up on a member of the family.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-09)
LOL! My very first thought was the same as Hellhound. The incident with your father in forest, I thought the spirit thing was a leprechaun. Thankfully, your father was able to leave. Was he able to fine your grandfather and uncle. Did they experience anything? Also, did your father tell them about what he experienced and what were their thoughts?

For the second part of the story, I couldn't think of what that could have been until Hellhound mentioned Astral Projection. That is a very good possibility.

My other thoughts were, that she might be a relative of your grandmother or a spirit trying to imitate your grandmother.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-06)
The second part of your story reminds me of the time I saw someone I was in love with at a location he was not at until two hours later. Our entire relationship was like that!

Stuff happens. Strange stuff.
dogboy114 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-06)
Well, sounds to me like your dad found a leprechaun who was angry with him for trying to hunt down the leprechaun's only food source...? 😳 😆
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-06)
It does sound like your Dad may have almost fell victom to a leprechaun mischief.
Leprechaun are know to be no teller then a small child but look like a older man, normally wearing red but in later tales wearing green with a hat. To me this sounds too much like a fairy tale to be true but if you do some reserch on them they go way back to something like the 1600's.
The word leprechaun is defined as a pigmy, or mischievious sprite who enjoy practical jokes.

On a side note: I always discribe my Dad as a leprechaun... Lol Because he's a short little Irish man. Also, in neon lighting his hair look greenish. 😁

Maybe Grandma was thinking of your cousin and had an out of body experience. Was your Grandmother sleeping or napping at the time of your cousin's experience?

Im on the same page as Hellhound here with both stories.
Hellhound (2 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-06)
Hey, great story, very to the point:)

Incident one: lol he sounds like a leprechaun:) I don't know where you stand on leprechauns' but I would say, as it knew your fathers nickname, it was probably a demon or entity that took this form to play with your fathers head, a lot of entities enjoy messing with our heads:)

Incident two: maybe astral projection, out of body experience or something if the sort. Maybe your grandmother was thinking of you and wondering were you are, and maybe even unconsciously sent a projection of her self:)

Very cool if I may say so myself:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: