You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Bad Dreams Or Worse?

Real Ghost Stories

Bad Dreams Or Worse?

 

I have been reading stories from this site for awhile now and have finally mustered up enough courage to write about something that's been happening to me. I want to start off by saying I am not 100% sure that this is actually paranormal or something more explainable, but at this point I just want some kind of idea as to what I'm dealing with. I am 25 years old now and have seen these things for almost as long as I can remember.

Ever since I was around 8 years old I have been having recurring dreams, or at least I think they are dreams, but I am very unsure. In one dream I see a shadow figure standing over me, I can't move my body at all and I feel really depressed and defeated. This figure feels like an older male but being a shadow I can't make out any features. I see him relatively regularly, more so than the other two "spirits" I see.

Another entity I come in contact with is a man in a 30s style suit. He would always be angry and would put his hands on my neck and choke me. I have woken up several times gasping for air and my neck would be sore but there wouldn't be any bruising or marks so no one ever believed my stories. I have seen this man since I was around 15 or so.

The final entity I have contact with is what I believe to be the worst of the three. Every time I've seen him I get this feeling of dread, a kind of feeling that if I get out of bed I would be killed somehow as soon as I did. He is tall and his skin is tight over his skeleton almost like he has no muscles at all, literally just skin and bone. He always has this ear to ear grin with yellow teeth. His eyes never blink and they are solid white. He will walk around my room and pick things up and examine them, like from where he comes from he has never seen things like a pen or a book before. The whole time I can see him, he keeps glancing over at me, watching me.

Since I have moved in with my girlfriend I have seen at least one of these things almost two or three times a week. But they were not as frequent at my old apartment even when she slept over. I don't think it was stress from moving since I saw these things when I was younger and lived in the same house until I was just out of college a couple years ago. I didn't have a troubled child hood my parents were happily married until I was 21 and decided they didn't see eye to eye on things and had an amicable divorce. No body I know passed away prior to these visits, I didn't smoke marijuana or drink when I was younger, don't now either. I have seen a therapist and I am not on medications nor was I prescribed any.

If anyone can help me please feel free to contact me, I could use all the help I can get at this point. Thank you for your time today.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LG1986, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-09)
Hi I was writing this to yo last night and something our spdoesn't want me to my internet shut down. I shall try again I had these night mares when I was little up until I was 8yre. Old what worked for me was prayer. You should also burn incense Frankincense and myrr works best these beings jinn my belief calls them can be good or evil like mankind they have free will my advise learn how to protect yourself, your spirit, I also agree with the others you should research. You may not have my same beliefs but if your christian you can also use certain verses from the Bible to protect you I hope I have been of some help Thanks for sharing. P.S. They were not night mares in my case I was haunted.
aya22 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-09)
LG,
I found this website which could be really useful for you.

Http://www.lucidity.com/LucidDreamingFAQ2.html#dreamcontrol

From what I know, the best way to start having lucidity is to keep a dream journal- and you're already doing that. Write down in the morning everything you remember. Eventually you'll begin to remember it longer after being awake, and you'll remember more detail as well. The goal is to be more consciously aware of when you're dreaming. You'll be able to exercise some level of control over them.
It can also be a lot of fun too. Lol, I've 'taken' myself to the beach many times. During falling dreams I create a giant bird to catch me. When a killer is chasing after me, I create a gun in my hand and a safe place to hide. I have something like a safe phrase I say, "this is my dream." Then I have free reign.
Anyway, this may all sound really weird to you but it is recognized as completely real and has even been studied before. I hope it works for you. If it does work, then you have your answer as to what these horrible manifestations are. If not... Well, just keeps us posted. 😉
-aya
pie1025 (2 stories) (29 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-12-09)
Hi LG,
The following is what came to my mind when I read your experience:
1) It seems spirit guides can play such tricks to you. When I had some issues a few years ago, a psychic friend of mine did some clearing and had told me that this was because my spirit guide had recently changed then. It dint make much sense at that time but I was desperate that I was open to anything that helped at that time. I should say that things got better after the consultation.
2) Our consciousness/mind is similar to a photographic plate that gets exposed to multiple images. This can cause experiences like yours and in such instances, meditation helps if you are open to it.
I am not as knowledgeable as many others in this website, though I would like to help in any way I can. I pray that you regain your peace of mind soon!
LG1986 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-09)
[at] Argette: My grandfather served in the Marines, in the Pacific during WW2. I also have relatives farther back that served during the civil war, that's as far back as I can get.

[at] Aya: I am not aware of lucid dreaming, will do some homework on that.

Both my mother and myself had experiences, Ill post it in greater detail later but a quick summary: I was working at an auto parts warehouse alone early in the morning, heard the main office door slam shut, thinking it was a co worker I went to say good morning and no one was there. Talked to other people at work and they had had similar experiences.

And no, there isn't any negativity aside from day to day things that everybody has to deal with. I'm a pretty easy going, laid back guy when it comes to stress. I don't really get bothered by things like that.

I hope that clarifys things for you:) Thanks again.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-09)
I believe your experience is a combination of sources creating these paranormal illusions you have endured over a long period of time... A paranormal illusion is different all together in regards to illusion brought on by drugs or mental illness... It is your own spiritual consciousness creating and manifesting these episodes much similar to how sleep paralysis affects people and usually the sufferer describe similar accounts to yours including the experienced of being choked... Sometimes negative energies in a home can contribute to the illusion as it's just a little extra fuel on top of other reasons such as fear of the dark, stresses going on at any given time and the back end of bad nightmares... You are one of these people who can transit consciously between realms for a period of time where the imagination and our super consciousness can basically recreate or interact in a world of it's own, unfortunately for you... You are consciously riding these episodes in a way you would rather not... You can overcome these experiences usually when you are able to confront your fears or understand the reasons for having them.
aya22 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
Sorry, couple more questions...

Are you aware of lucid dreaming? (the ability to acknowledge that you're asleep and control your dreams)
Also, have you EVER, EVER experienced anything outside of the norm? Any other ghostly encounters of any kind, or encounters family members have had?
Is there ANY source of negativity in your life- such as (but not limited to), trouble with a family member, a job, a friend, anything?

Sorry for the 4th but just trying to clarify and help out if possible. You don't have to answer, just think about it. Thanks for responding! I really hope keeping up a dream journal again provides some source of comfort and/or sheds some light on the situation. Best of wishes, take care.
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
LG, just wondering if you have any grandparents or other ancestors who may have experienced violence during their lifetime.

Also, your girlfriend seems to be a good influence on your dreams.
LG1986 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
Thank you all for your input, let me try to answer as many questions as I can.

[at] Argette: As far as PTSD goes I can not think of anything overly traumatic from when I was younger. But as I understand it, a symptom of PTSD is blocking out memories, I will dig into it a little more on that end.

[at] Aya: I used to keep a dream journal in high school. It was more documenting the frequency of the incidents as opposed to the events of the dreams. I should start one again and see if I can see anything.

[at] Nysa: My therapist at the time said it was most likely a phase (I was 13 or 14) after a while I stopped going mostly for financial reasons. I used to sketch when I was younger, since its a realitively inexpensive art form I think I will give it a shot.

Again, thank you all for your help I will keep you updated as I try a few of these suggestions.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
Dreams are usually messages from our unconscious mind. People in our dreams often represent aspects of ourselves. It sounds a bit like you are struggling with guilt or anger with yourself. A recent study using lucid dreamers seems to show that our bodies react physically to what happens to us in our dreams, so feeling the effects of dream attacks might be a perfectly normal occurrence. Try thinking of these entities as parts of you, do their actions make more sense? Could the entity examining your things be the part of you wondering "is this my life? Are these the things that define me?" etc. Did you discuss these dreams with the therapist you saw? I would recommend discussing them with a therapist that uses psychological analysis. Also try using your dream images in an art form you are comfortable with (drawing, poetry, sculpting), art & dreams both tap the unconscious mind.

But could they be more than dreams? Nobody can say, but I lean towards no. We know that our minds create dreams, including hypnogogic or "edge of waking" dreams & visions. So it seems unreasonable to me to suggest, without knowing more about non-physical entities, that they are to blame for "some" dreams. We know of no technique for spirits to project themselves into our minds. That said, it is not necessarily impossible for a living or non-living being to communicate with us psychicly, suggesting scenarios to our unconscious mind for us to dream about. I would thoroughly explore the dreams as messages from the unconscious before looking for outside explanations.

Lastly could you be awake & really seeing these things, but since it is happening so immediately after waking you interpret them as dreams? It's a possibility but again I lean towards no. You are pretty clearly saying that you only see them when sleeping or just waking up & not while up doing things away from bed. So again, dreams & hypnogic hallucinations are the most likely explanations.
aya22 (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
Hi LG,
First, welcome to YGS! 😊
These things that you dream really sound frightening, especially the last one- they are your own personal boogeymen! There could literally be a vast amount of reasons why you dream what you do, and repeatedly. These visions could be a representation of something within your life or subconscious mind that you fear (for one). I have had recurring dreams as well, and while I recognize that the first one may have had meaning, everything that's followed is... How to explain this? I know I often revisit the same places/situations because it's something my mind is familiar with, and these usually represent something within my waking life. I really hope that's all this is, as it might put you at ease and help solve the situation.
On the other hand... I agree that your descriptions make it seem as if you're awake and not dreaming at all. You say you 'see' them. Also, you mention feeling paralyzed when you see the 'first' one. Many people have had sleep paralysis occur to them (just read up on it on this site). Some argue it's caused naturally and some believe there's more to it. I don't know much about it, but I've experienced it once (and only once). My situation makes me believe it wasn't natural.
Your story caught my attention and I really understand your frustration- more than you know! So I'm really interested in what happens and what you may figure out. Perhaps keep a 'dream' journal. The next time it happens write down what you experienced and try to remember as many details as possible. I also think it important to jot down anything you might have been doing before bed, anything going on in your life, etc. If these are dreams, you *might* recognize a pattern. However, my gut tells me there's something more to it.
Thank you for submitting this! Keep us posted.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
Hi LG:

You have answered a lot of potential questions such as you don't do drugs, no troubled background, etc. Thanks for that in advance. I am a little troubled because the way you describe these entities, it sounds as if you are awake, which would totally exclude the "bad dream" theory. It seems to me that this is not three entities but only one... And I use the word "only" very loosely. I do believe you and I do feel very troubled over this. I believe that other posters will have some advice for you such as things you can do to "rid" yourself of this spirit, demon, or otherwise.

Good luck to you. I will be interested to read what other posters suggest for you.

Zeta.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
Sounds like you've got any number of entities that may or may not be a problem. If you feel the need to try and eliminate them from your life; try this site:

Http://www.hollowhill.com/guide/ifghost.htm
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-08)
Although I have found that reoccurring dreams subside when the issue that is unresolved in the dream is resolved in real life, I don't think that's the case with your dreams. Other than the usual reincarnation or genetic memory explanation, I can only wonder if this dream isn't akin to PTSD of some sort. Did you experience anything traumatic as a child? I hate to pry, but perhaps the dreams began after something happened (before age 8).

Take care, LG.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: