You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: The Boogeyman

Real Ghost Stories

The Boogeyman

 

I truly believe that young children and animals can see things we adults cannot, mainly because of the stories my mother told me when I was around 18 months to 2 years old. This happened to me when I lived in Florida, I currently live in New York now. I still have strange occurrences happen to me to this day, but that's for another time and another story.

This entity I experienced when I was a toddler was my best friend. My mother would tell me one random day I started to talk to my "imaginary friend" and she also told me I called it the "boogeyman". This entity did no harm on me or my family even though the "boogeyman" is based off of something evil. I have no idea why I called it that, it was just the name I gave it. My mother told me strange things started happening since I started talking to "it" like the oven would turn on by itself, the lights would flicker, the coasters on the coffee table would move and the toilets would flush by themselves.

One night while everyone was asleep except my mother and sister, they were talking in my sisters room and all of a sudden my mom seen the kitchen lights flicker on and off. Thinking it was one of my brother, she went into the kitchen to catch my brothers in the act. She seen no one, and checked my brothers bedrooms and seen they were fast asleep along with my other sister in her room. She called my dad because she was scared but my dad not believing in that stuff said it was probably one of the boys playing a joke.

Everyday I would talk and play with "it", even talk to "it" while I was in the bathtub. My mom dismissed it at first, but the strange things kept happening and she started thinking it was something more than an "imaginary friend". One day my mother asked "What does the "boogeyman" look like?" And I told her it had red hair and that "it" was in fact a woman.

Years later my mother brought up the story to me when I was around ten or eleven. What she told me didn't actually freak me out, it was more comforting than anything. My mother told me that the day she asked me what my friend looked like, I had described my dead grandmother on my father's side. Both of my dad's parents died before I was born, my mom's died years later when I was older.

My mother and I firmly believe that my grandmother came to meet me. You see, my grandmother loved to bake, so my mother says it was probably her turning on the stove. And from other stories and things I've read about spirits trying to get attention, I believe that she was trying to get my mothers and fathers attention.

Thank you for reading my story:)

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jessy_tor3, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
Also sounds like your grandmother to me. Thank you for the story.
Jitow (362 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-20)
If you do not experience it anymore then maybe it was your relative. The description sounds a lot like "the Harlequin". Google it and see if there are any similarities.
JCAbigbear (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
Hearing about the experience with your grandmother kind of brought a smile to my face. When I was about 8 years old, my grandmother passed away. A few weeks after she was buried, I woke up in the middle of the night to see her at the foot of the bed. (I was sleeping with my parents that night.) I wasn't scared, but I did feel warm. Now that I'm older I kind of doubt myself, but reading stories like yours reassure me that I did see what I saw.

Much love,
Julio
jessy_tor3 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
From what I can remember no I did not see her again. I think her spirit is at peace now. Unless she pops in to see her great grand daughter (my sisters daughter) I'm not sure.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
I agree with zetafornow's theory on this one. Like zetafornow asked, did you ever come across your grandmother's ghost again?

Thanks for the good story!:)
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
interesting post jessy_tor3 thanks for adding 😊
Have to say it kept me guessing until the end like a good mistery story and was sweet to think it was your gran popping back to visit you.
All the best
Carl
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
I do agree with the other posters. I might add something though... You probably called your grandma the boogeyman because the boogeyman, as a kid, is something or someone that nobody can see. So you probably thought since you were the only one who could see her, she must be the boogeyman. Just a thought. After that period of your life that your mother recalled for you, did you ever see your grandma again?

Thanks, zeta.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
What a nice story.
My Mamare (Grandmother) has visited my son (he was 2 at the time and now 3). Its nice that yours was able to visit you as well even after death.
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Can't wait Jessy_tor3! Looking forward to more of your stories, creepy or not! 😊
jessy_tor3 (1 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Thank you guys for reading:) I have some more stories to come, they are more creepy than heartwarming though:/
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Thank you so much clever210! Ohio my whole life, and thank you! I'm so excited! Relationships are hard work, but definitely worth it! If the most important things in life were easy, they wouldn't be worth it! 😊
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Thanks, Kuhlmad! I see you are a fellow Ohioan. Congrats on your engagement. I have been married for 5 years. It takes a lot of hard work, but it is so great!
ktc96 (1 stories) (8 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
this is a great story. I liked how your mom blammed your brothers thought haha
ZawwHy (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Thanks for sharing your story:) I really enjoy positive experience once in awhile 😁
Kuhlmad (3 stories) (57 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
couldn't agree more clever210, I enjoyed this very much. Thank you for sharing.
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
That was a very heartwarming story. Thank you for sharing. I like when people post stories like this. It's nice to read positive experiences.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: