You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Green Hill Cemetery

Real Ghost Stories

Green Hill Cemetery

 

I'm back with another story as promised. This story is about one of Amsterdam, N.Y's most haunted cemeteries. If you look up Green Hill Cemetery on the web you will find it. If you read my story The Hidden Door this happened a few years later when I was 16 years old.

After the experiance in my last story I became interested in the paranormal and start a ghost hunting group with my friends. I spent over 1600 dollars on equipment such as 3 infrared cameras, 3 digital voice recorders, 2 E.M.F detectors, and an expensive digital video camera. We called ourselves A.P.I (Amsterdam Paranormal society) and we decided to investigate the so called "haunted" cemetery.

Now the first day we went we didn't get much just seemed really calm and relaxing. So we stayed for a few hours trying to capture any E.V.Ps or E.M.F readings and nothing. We decided to leave and come back the next night and when we did things got weird.

As soon as we entered the cemetery the air felt really thick and we just didn't have a good feeling but we ignored it and kept walking. We didn't get more the 30 feet in the cemetery when all of a sudden the 2 of my friends I was with (Zach and Chris) started running really fast out of the cemetery screaming things I can't say on here and that scared me so I ran with them. I kept asking what happen and they just kept asking each other if they saw that and I didn't know what was going on.

When we got back to Zachs house they didn't tell each other what they saw they just sat down at the table drawing what they saw to see if they saw the same thing. To my suprise they both held up their drawings and it was the same. A black hooded figure. They said when we were walking in they saw it coming towards us not running but looked like it was floating.

After some sleep and clearing our minds we decided to go back and on this night it was paranormal heaven. When we went back I brought with me my video camera this time cause the other 2 nights I didn't. I started video taping and they starting doing E.V.Ps. I walked away from the group to see if I can get a personal experience and while I was walking I swore I saw a black figure running extremly fast through the cemtery but I just figured it was my eyes messing with me or just an animal. I went back to the group and we place a digital recorder on one of the tombstones and walked away.

While walking through the whole cemetery we started hearing footsteps behind us and felt like someone was walking right next to us. So Zach asked if anyones there can you make your presence known? And all of a sudden I was looking at the camera and no more the 3 feet away I see the whole screen go blinding white for a split second and I told them I think I have something. We rewinded the tape and I put it in slow motion and you can see a full apparition pure white but you can tell it was a human because I paused really quick when it can into the screen and you can see the outline of its face and shoulder, its hand raised up as if he were running.

I paused it again to where the apparition was in the middle of the screen and you see part of the legs and back but its like turn to static as of it was electric coming off its back. When we were trying to debunk it we did everything we can. Running past but we you can see every feature on us when we ran past. We could not explain how white it was. Then we listened to the audio on the camera and noticed that when we walked we were walking on a mess of leaves because it was fall and when this thing was running by there were no sounds of footsteps at all running. You didn't hear anything from this thing when it went by. All you heard was what sounded like someone blowing into the mic but you can hear us walking in leaves perfectly.

So we left thinking that's all we got and we checked the recorders getting many many E.V.Ps. One saying "GET THE F*** OUT", "ILL RIP YOU APART", and "TOPPER". That was a great night and I'm going to do everything I can to get that video up on here A.S.A.P. I'm hoping I can find it. I love going to that cemetery cause it peaceful during the day but at night sometimes all hell can break loose and its just a night of fun for paranormal investigators.

Thanks for reading and I'll have another awesome ghost hunting story up soon. Sorry its so long.

Other hauntings by BenH518

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BenH518, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Silverkitsune310 (1 posts)
 
3 years ago (2021-08-05)
Hello, Benjamin! My name is Leo Lewis, younger brother of Raymond and Ana Lewis, lived in Amsterdam all my life. I've been researching the history behind Widow Susan Road recently and learned that Greenhill Cemetery plays a part in the tale. Not much is said about Greenhill on the internet, but after a little research I found your story. It's amazing what you wrote, and even though it was written about 10 years ago I'm glad I found it.
I have a personal experience with Greenhill Cemetery, walking passed it down Church Street one day with a few friends along the way to one of their houses. I've also heard two separate stories that were pretty scary and similar to yours, one from one of the same friends from my previous experience. I've known them for a long while and am now together with their sister, whom recently retold their story, so I have no reason to doubt them.
Have you ever found the footage from your story? I hope you do someday. I've just discovered this site, so it'll be a good place to tell my personal experiences from not just Greenhill, but a few other instances. I have no reason to not believe that Greenhill Cemetary is haunted, or more specifically, home to spirits that reside there.
I hope you get this message, and wish you well.
dezzy92 (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-19)
I live just a block away from that cemetery and I have had my own paranormal experiences in there as well. I have taken pictures at 3am, but the next morning I woke up to look at them, they were gone. Like I never took the pictures. No one deleted them at all, but they weren't there. I have been wanting to go in there again with my camera and take videos and do more investigating in the cemetery again.
BenH518 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-06)
That's very helpful Mugsy and yes actually I did hear about that "the woman in white". My mom has told me stories about that. I sure will look into that. You live in Amsterdam?
Mugsy (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-05)
There is the legend of "The Lady In White", who is said to walk the cemetery at night. She is most often seen near the headstone that looks like a drum and Sanford's crypt. She has also been seen by the old gates on Church St. Just up and around the bend from Prospect. This was a very old story when I was very young. Perhaps you could research this and see if that was what you caught on your camera...
BenH518 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-24)
wow its been over a year since I been on here and reading these comments are great (except cristines) you suck. Haha but the video is still around but my friend zach let his friend barrow the camera a while ago and never got it back. He said the video is somewhere in his moms house he just has to find it. I hope he does cause it was very interesting. 😁
mystique20 (1 stories) (15 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-09)
Ben: thanks for sharing...:)

N-Ishwarya... I'm a little confused... I read a story by you "my future husband" and you said you had been married and had children and were soon going to have grandchildren. But in your comment here you say you are just 14... Which exactly are you?
BenH518 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
What I do remember about "topper" is that whatever said it had an accent. Sounded spanish.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
Ben: Me again LOL! 😆...I did take the time to Google "Topper the ghost"...There is a movie (starring Cary Grant) and also a couple of books about one Mr. Cosmo Topper... The saga does deal with the paranormal 😆...Maybe you could find the movies or the books and find a clue in them about what "Topper" means in your situation... From what little I've read about the story, it is about friendly ghosties, so maybe the EVP that mentioned "Topper" was trying to tell you there was nothing to fear?...My curiousity is piqued now, so I'm going to find out more 😆
ParrotPig104 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
A fasinating story - do you think it might be posible to upload the photo to Google and share the link with us? If not no worries but I'm just really interested by this. I did a brief search on Google for "Topper" and found nothing. I agree with zzzgranny, might just be a nickname/abbreviation.
Hope to hear more from you!
ParrotPig104
sylunedarkchylde (6 stories) (26 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-16)
Funny, cause I have heard "Topper" somewhere before, and it was also associated with something paranormal.

No, I know the book and the TV series, but I just can't remember where I heard it or what it was, exactly. X___x
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2011-12-16)
Ben: I have no doubt you were all being respectful, but I wonder if the guardian showed him/herself because of past transgressions of others?...Seems like you didn't have much of a chance to get into your hunt before that experience 😆...

That "Topper" would bug the crap out of me! 😆...Are the headstones still legible?...Sometimes a person's nickname is engraved as well...
BenH518 (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
thank you guys for commenting my story and being interested. I'm trying to find a why to put the video up but I recorded it on a video camera with the little tapes. I tried plugging the camera in the computer but it won't work cause its on the tape and not the camera itsself. I might just plug the camera in my huge tv and just record it off the tv onto my phone then upload it. That's all I can think of.

N_ishwarya- sorry I haven't done anything paranormal in years. The group is long gone.

Geetha50- acually I don't have the recordings anymore. But I do still have the footage I just have to find a way to put it up.

DARKNESS- thanks for the kind words and yes debunk is a big part of ghost hunting and everyone who ghost hunts should do it and not assume everything is paranormal. When I read the sight I didn't believe any of it because I walked through that cemetery all the time due to it being an awesome short cut to places and never saw a thing. So I had to prove the sight wrong and I did but I top of it I had even crazier things happen that the site never mentioned and that possibly no one even knows about.

Zzsgranny_yes I have done research on topper. I went to city hall and tried to find anyone in the graveyard named topper but couldn't find a thing. I still have no clue what it means. And the cemetery was not damaged or disrespected in anyway shape or form. I'm not a religious person but I still have all respect for the dead.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
Ben: Have you done any research on the term "Topper"?...I'm wondering if it's someone's name/nickname...I agree with DARKNESS, that "debunkation" should be priority in any perceived paranormal event...

As far as ghost hunting in cemeteries goes, I feel as long as you're being respectful there isn't a problem... I don't feel that people who are buried in any given cemetery haunt their final resting place, unless it's in the vicinity of where they met their demise... In my opinion, some of the older cemeteries could be haunted because of the number of people having been buried alive before the practice of embalming...

I also feel that every cemetery has a guardian; some entity that makes sure everyone who visits is being respectful... This may have been the hooded figure your friends saw, and also the voice in the EVPs...

I'm looking forward to viewing the footage... If you can upload it to youtube and post a link, that'd be great!...Thank you for posting 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
BenH518: Hahah I could feel the enthusiasm you all had whilst reading your account. The video you have sounds very interesting and it would be great if you could upload it on to the site if possible, I'm sure many people would love to see it.
The main thing I wanted to mention that I think it is great and very wise of you all to try and debunk things scientifically first, like you mentioned in you comment below mine. This is a very good way of conducting your expeditions, and something that a lot of other people do not do! Keep it up. 😊

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+5
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
Cristine, this is not a site for being hostile against those that share accounts, please consider the reason for the site when making comments.

This comment from Cristine is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
I would love to hear and see what you captured on your equipment. Your story sounds interesting and I would like to hear more about your experiences.

Moravian,
You are right in that cemeteries are a place of rest for the dead. But don't wish a demon or other bad things on people. That's not nice. Any place you go, you have to give respect for those in that place. I hope this author and his group gave that respect. If they did, I think they would be okay.
n_ishwarya (1 stories) (14 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
can I join in your team. Though I am from India and 14 I am so brave. Will you add me in the group 😕
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
-4
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Cemeteries should be OFF LIMITS to ghost hunters. Our loved ones and ancestors are interred there. Is nothing sacred? If you get a demon problem snooping around in graveyards - you certainly asked for it. Sorry, but somebody has to say something.
isabellahocroft (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
maybe the black hooded figure was death chasing someone to take them? Ahah:P x
BenH518 (2 stories) (13 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Haha sorry for the typo if anyone caught that. I meant to say A.P.I (Amsterdam paranormal investigators)

Shadowyrhys- haha thanks for reading.

Snowhite- yea those spirits seemed angry but were harmless. If they were going to do something bad they would have the 3 or 4 hours we were in the cemetery but all they didn't was give me evidence that they exist.

Moongrim- the EMF didn't work to well cause of a lot of powerlines outside. So we didn't what we can with the equipment we had. Just a digital voice recorder and a video camera. But all in all we just wanted to have a fun time and we did.

P.S.
On website about green hill cemetery they saw green hill is known for there haunting by glowing orbs, horrible smells, and leaves moving. I ended up debunking that these when I was there. First the glowing orbs. In green hill there's a road right on the side of it that's a main road to get to downtown so always a lot of cars. At night when cars past the reflextion of the headlights would hit the tombstones and from far away it looked like orbs moving slowing and disappearing but its just the car passing. The smell is crows. In the cemetery there are thousands of crows in the trees and flying above. There's so many the cover the sky at night its kind of cool. But birds do poop and when there's that many pooping in the cemetery and on the sidewalks and in the trees its going to leave a horrbile stench. Even when the wind blows. Last the leaves moving. Easy. WIND. Its outside. Of course leaves are going to move. But I can't debunk the footage and EVPs we got there. That's something totally different. And my friend zachs mom told me that when she was in highschool a classmate she knew hung himself in the cemetery. I don't know how true that is but if it is maybe its him we saw. We will never know.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
Well I'm certainly looking forward towards that vid. That's definitely a good idea, scoping out the cemetary beforehand- getting a baseline of EMF fields during the day. Or I assume that's what you were doing.
snowhite (203 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
The EVP can prove there were a lot of nasty souls there. I guess the dead thought that is where they belong and do not like the fact that we "invade" their space. Can't wait to read your next story. I am just too ckicken to go to the graveyard at night.
shadowyrhys (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-13)
oh scary stuff ben. Wonder what it called be cause if I saw that I would run the heck out of there.

Thanks for a cool story

ShadowyRhys. 😆 😆 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: