You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Earliest Encounter

Real Ghost Stories

My Earliest Encounter

 

I've never been very scared of the supernatural, especially ghosts. In part this is because I believe I've been experiencing things since I was really little. This is the account of what I believe to be the first chronologically.

I live in the country, with an empty field across the road and a wider space between the next house and mine than would be found in the city, I'd guess about half an acre or so. I mention this to give you just some idea about the surroundings and that it'll come in to play in a later account.

Just before the year I went to kindergarten and through some of the next, I would see the same figure every night just outside the window at the foot of my bed. I literally could not go to sleep until I saw it, and then after getting over the creepy feeling I'd fall quickly to sleep.

It appeared to be a furry creature, a greyish brown in colour. Every night, it would block my view outside of the window with building materials such as wood boards, brick, or the like. I'd see the actual process of putting them to the window, for example, if it were bricks, I'd see it put the sealant in between each of the bricks. Each time it would seem very real, and even after not being able to see the entity anymore, the materials blocking the view out the window would remain until I fell asleep. This of course would be very disconcerting, and every morning I would run around the house to make sure that the window was uncovered. I do not recall if I was able to see out of the window until I verified or not.

This all continued until I had an odd dream about the creature. I know that you don't prefer to have dreams mentioned on the site, but it serves as the very last time I saw the entity. It was working as a mechanic at a shop, and it asked simply for my hat in order to fix our car. My parents gave it to it and it ate it in front of me. When I woke the next morning, the hat was gone and I've never seen it again.

I know how this sounds, and it's for that very reason I rarely tell anyone about it, but I have been to this site for a while now and would like to chronicle the experiences I've had. This while unusual is the first I can remember.

Other hauntings by teneki

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, teneki, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

lizziebee1992 (2 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
very creappy. It sounds like it is a creepy entity but I don't think it is going to do any harm to you.
Paraltive (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-09)
A tikoloshe looks like a monkey.
Im not sure if its the wright picture I'm seeing, tell me if not.

Your story fascinate's me.
Has there bean any other encounters like this? If so would you mind shareing?

Thanks, Charlie 😉
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-20)
I'm doing the chronological order thing too. There are some I'm looking forward to posting more than the rest for explanation, but for the ease of reading, I'm refraining until they come around in my personal timeline.
zarric (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-19)
Nysa,

I have submitted the first one labeled "1. Helpless at 3am". If they post it you can read them as they get posted.

I will be posting them as they occurred. (chronologically) They will be labeled by a number for anyone that wishes to read them in order.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
Oh good! I look forward to reading them, I am already intrigued.
zarric (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
Nysa,

I have been preparing them as they get ready to start accepting stories again on Monday.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
I will be happy to share it if I use the topic. I am studying folklore so it is bound to be appropriate for a paper at some point.

Zarric, you allude to a situation you are dealing with that has been difficult to understand? You should submit an account of what you are dealing with.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
teneki,
I've been watching this comment thread progress through the last couple of days, I was trying not to say anything because...well, my sisters think I'm nuts for saying anything about this stuff. But, when I between 4 and 8 years old, I had dreams about dragons. The first one had a dragon come up out of our swimming pool, breaking through the sheet of ice to do it, then fly away. The next night/morning we had a pretty good sized earthquake hit. I ran and told my mom that the dragon had caused it to happen when he was breaking the ice to get out of the pool. This was such a vivid dream that I didn't believe I was dreaming. A year later, it happened again. This time it was crashing through the fruit trees in the side yard and crushing them like they were little sticks. I told my mom about it in the morning and the next morning another earthquake. This was when my mom srarted paying attention. She went to my uncle, who was a pediatrician, and told him what was going on. He didn't think it strange at all. He said that kids were more in tune with their intuition (he called it something else, I cannot redall now) and as we grew we would eventually lose that inner sense of impending natural disasters. I remember him telling me, when I asked about it as a teen, that as humans evolved they had lost certain instincts they no longer used. And some of those will just pop up every now and then even after several generations.
I'm not saying the same thing happened with you, but hell, when am I ever going to get a chance to tell that experience again, huh?
It is something you may want to consider anyway, since you have looked in so many other directions. They are two separate actions, building a blockade over your window nightly is very different, but you never can tell.

Jav
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
Please let us know if and when you do the report. I for one would love to read it if you'd be willing to let me do so Nysa.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
It is an interesting thing to consider. Can a folkloric creature travel with a member of a culture? I suppose the first issue is whether or not it is a physical being, does it always exist in some physical form (one source suggested it could be a shape shifter)? If so it could really only come to the new location by someone bringing it on purpose (the possibility that such creatures are controlled by a "magician" is mentioned), or as a stowaway. If it is primarily a spiritual being that can manifest physically perhaps space does not matter much & travel is a mental process for it. But what would be it's motivation for leaving? Africa has plenty of "victims" for it so there does not seem to be a need for it to travel. Another consideration is that perhaps it already existed in the new place (Michigan in this case) but is generally not recognized as the same creature. The sources I found compare it to Bigfoot. One source also referred to it as a water-sprite that shape-shifts into the humanoid, bearish creature. Maybe it exists anywhere there is water or perhaps it has migrated in the water to different parts of the world. The issue is endlessly fascinating, I am considering it as a topic for a research paper for one of my classes now.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
That's a good way to look at it. Odd that consuming your hat was, well, a sort of consummation - a sort of symbolic devouring. That was one strange dream.
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
In a way, I'm glad this happened. If it never had, I probably wouldn't be as interested in the paranormal as I am.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
I was thinking someone must have physically come over with this entity, so that does not surprise me.

I am learning so much here!
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
While I was reading up on it at zarric's suggestion, I noticed someone else in the US who said he'd had an encounter, that said the one he encountered came over with some people who immigrated. I'm also in a favored environment being in farmland.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
This is such an unusual story that I think no one could make it up! A tikoloshe is something new to me, so I thank you all for the introduction. I'm glad I never ran across one, or if I did, I do not recall. I grew up partly in Michigan (moved around a bit) so I suppose if Teneki experienced one, I could have also.

How would a creature from one culture infiltrate another? I'm curious about that.
zarric (1 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
I've had plenty of time to look into these kind of things, due to my own situation. Hope it helped.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
Wow it is so awesome that you got a suggestion that helps you start to understand your strange experience. I don't think I have ever heard of that so I am going to look it up too.
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
A tikoloshe looks very very close to my memory. It also said they enjoy scaring school children which also fits.

I found a black and white drawing of what the wikipedia calls a "bear like humanoid creature" so I'm thinking this is fully what I experienced. Thank you zarric.
zarric (1 stories) (10 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-12-17)
I could only find three things in the description you have given. A urisk, a tikoloshe and a menehune. Look them up and read about them and look up some pictures. With the very little physical description you have given, it was the best I could do.
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-16)
I have thought of one thing I didn't mention, but I'm not sure if it matters or not. Underneath the window in question, and next to it, are two lilac bushes.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-16)
The extreme strangeness of your story is why I believe it. I have had some bizarre experiences, as well as bizarre dreams, and they are very difficult to describe without feeling like you might be a bit crazy. You may never know the reality behind these visions, but perhaps you can find some meaning in the experience or in the symbolism. The creature may have been protective of you, or perhaps it was just going about its own business, not realizing you were watching. Perhaps when it realized you could see it, the hat thing was its way of saying goodbye, or a token to let you know what you saw was real or to remember you by.
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
As far as I know, they never took measures to discover if there was a physical person looking in or not, I was very young after all. I will say, that someone like that being around would be very out of character for the location. That window faces another house so I'd assume that anyone approaching the window would have to cross that property running the risk of being seen by the neighbor.

It also wouldn't explain the coinciding of the dream and not seeing the entity anymore.

I am glad you're keeping an open mind about it instead of dismissing it however, because I know how it sounds, but I promise you this happened.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-15)
Thanks for the details, this is a very unusual account. You say your parents did not believe you, did they ever consider that an actual person might be out there? At that age I can imagine the stressed mind dealing with a weirdo creeper outside your window by seeing it as a monster & imagining it was covering up the window as a way of coping. I mean piling stuff up in front of the window is so symbolic of craving privacy. It seems counterintuitive that something looking in your window would also block the window. If your parents took steps to ensure that there was not a pervert peeping in your window we are left with one freaky ghost/creature that acted very strangely.
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
"Can you describe the animal / creature better? How big was it, did it stand on 2 legs or 4 (when not building up your window), did the features seem bearish or wolfish or did it have the features of many animals combined, etc.?"
As I remember it, given that it was thirty some years ago and I remember more the large qualities over smaller details, it was furry but otherwise human. I do remember more human hands than front paw type hands. I never saw it away from the window, so I'm not sure if it would walk on two or four legs.

"About how long did this go on? Did you ever tell your parents?"
I would estimate about a year and a half, and while I never told my parents while the wall was being blocked, they did see me a couple times checking the outside of the window the next morning and told them at that time what I was doing. Both parents aren't believers in ghosts or other supernatural entities so of course they didn't believe me.

Finally, while I've had plenty more experiences, there was only one animal in nature and it was much more "normal" of an occurrence, and several years later.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-14)
Well that is an unusual account. I have a few questions. Can you describe the animal / creature better? How big was it, did it stand on 2 legs or 4 (when not building up your window), did the features seem bearish or wolfish or did it have the features of many animals combined, etc.? About how long did this go on? Did you ever tell your parents? Also you seem to be saying you saw things through the years since then, were the other unexplained things animalistic in nature? I look forward to hearing more about this.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: