You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Just Moved In To A New Very Old House

Real Ghost Stories

Just Moved In To A New Very Old House

 

Let me start off by saying that I am not sure if I do or don't believe in ghosts, I believe in vibes, actions, environments and people can give off good or bad vibes which tend to be right more often than not.

Myself, 3 friends and my girlfriend recently moved in to a house we are renting, a couple of us are students and the others work full time so we were looking for someplace cheap. We found a pretty large house not far from the school and downtown, rent is working out to be $250 each in an area that is usually 400-500 a person. At first when we viewed the house we assumed rent was cheap because the house is old and almost no renovations have been made to it other than those that have had to been. We moved in on the 30th of November and instantly some of the people who helped us move and my girlfriend got very bad vibes from the house. They expressed feeling uneasy, and one girl even went as far as not entering the room that connects to the hallway to the basement.

Let me describe the house, it is a one and a half story house so the upstairs has very low weird angled ceilings. The lights are all old fashioned they stick out of the wall on fixtures but the wiring was all redone a couple of years ago and it all works fine, however the house still uses fuses. The basement is very, very small and you have to take a trap door to get down to it. Basically all that is down there is the furnace and water heater and fuse box.

Since we first moved in we have all experienced different and weird things, we chalked them all up to the house being very old and living with 5 people in a 3 bedroom house. But tonight while 3 of us were hanging out we got talking about it and did some research and came to the conclusion that our house is haunted or at least we think. I will describe some of the things that have happened.

The temperature varies ALL the time from room to room but it is not the same, for example my bedroom is always only extremes going from very hot to very very cold, our kitchen is always colder than everywhere else and the living room changes depending where you stand or sit. We chalked this up to there being 5 people who all like different temperatures and change the temperature a lot, but our temp never goes out of the 65-70 range.

The lights in our living room on 2 occasions have flickered for no apparent reason, the light is a dimming room so we fiddled around with the dimming and no matter what they still flickered. We switched it on and off and it still flickered and then eventually went away on its own. The other night in our garage (its detached) I went to clean up a mess from a party we had the night before, the lighting was EXTREMELY dim, barely on and I could not see right, as well as I got a really weird feeling but I had to clean up so I started and after a couple minutes the light was as bright as usual.

Two of the guys I live with have both on different occasions talked about hearing noises coming from the hallway that connects to the trap door, and one night last week when they were having a cigarette in the kitchen the trap door slammed shut for no apparent reason. The hallway that connects the trap door to the kitchen also has a side door to outside, this door is more convenient yet none of us use it for a reason we can't explain, this room also gives very bad vibes for me personally and I avoid it 100% other than during daylight hours, it has laundry hookups but we do not have laundry machines moved in yet so for now we are storing empties there.

I have a lot of trouble sleeping and the other night around 5am I went to go downstairs to use the bathroom, I decided to take down some dishes with me and I did not want to turn the light on because it would wake up my girlfriend, when I got to the top of the stairs I heard a rustling and a weird growling/eating noise coming from the bottom, I FREAKED out and ran back inside my room woke up my girlfriend and we both stayed up for the rest of the night without leaving the room until it was daylight.

Everyone in the house has "heard strange noises", we again chalked it up to the house being old and living with 5 people all on different sleeping schedules. The guy who lives in the room next to me says that tonight he heard a scratching noise coming from the basement, we have no pets and there is no way that any animals could have gotten inside.

We have also had more than a couple electronic malfunctions, our internet randomly cuts off but only for my computer and my girlfriends, not the others in the house even the guys laptop in our room is fine, our adapter that let's us hook cable up to our TV has not worked in this house but worked fine in other houses. Our wireless printer no longer works and one persons computer randomly stopped working the day after we moved in and he had to take it in to be fixed. Certain outlets stop working randomly and only seem to work sometimes. And last week when I came home from work I went to make dinner and blew a fuse, I changed it and the fuse blew the second I got back in the kitchen, I unplugged some stuff and changed it again, the same thing happened, I got my roommate to come help and after we changed it together it worked fine.

Many things get moved around and misplaced, every time I go in the kitchen it seems like EVERYTHING has been moved around not just one or two dishes, our kitchen is always a mess with lots of dishes and whatnot so I can see some things being moved around but it always feels like to me that the entire setting is different, I chalked it up to living with lots of people. This morning I went to grab my usb stick from the table downstairs, it was not there so I came upstairs and asked my girlfriend where it was, she went downstairs and grabbed it from that table and I SWEAR it wasn't there, people lose their phones, keys, wallets and shoes all the time, this morning also I was looking for my wallet which I always keep in my coat, I checked in my coat first place for it and it was not there, I had to leave so I left home without my wallet, down the street the wallet was in my pocket when I reached inside.

I should also include that our landlords are REALLY REALLY WEIRD. They are swingers, and are a couple in their early 50s, they give off very WEIRD vibes, not bad or good just strange like they are up to something or hiding something, we chalked it up to them being swingers.

Everyone has also had the feeling of not being alone or being watched, my girlfriend especially feels very uneasy and won't go downstairs by herself at night time. Almost all of these occurrences do have an at least somewhat logical explanation that is why I say I am unsure whether or not I believe in ghosts.

At this point I am not really sure what I am asking or wanting to hear, am I crazy? Are all these logically explained, is there a spirit or ghost? Should I be worried or what should I do? Either way the "activities" seem to be happening more or at least noticed more over the last 4 or 5 days.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, iain, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

strife (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-19)
very weird, id say maybe get an electrician to check the fuse box maybe broken somehow that would explain why some sockets don't work, the growling, well that could be a noise from outside maybe.

I live in an old house too and all I can say is if its not a a little pop or creaking its not the house. I've also had things go missing and I find them in plane site a few moments/days later.

Id say if your not scared of what you'll see/hear put up a cam or an audio recorder at night, but I wouldn't suggest that because that would make you uncomfortable in your house in case you do find something, only do it if you are moving out or don't care if there's something paranormal in your house.

Best of luck to you and your friends.

Also you'er not crazy.
ParrotPig104 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-19)
If the occurrences are bothering you and/or your house mates I seriously suggest burning a stick of sage around the rooms in the house. You could also get a blessing or call a spiritualist church and ask them about the situation and how they would handle it. You might also want to consider a couple of cameras around the house overnight and check on them in the morning. Just a suggestion 😊

Regards,
ParrotPig104
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-19)
This is not a kind thing to say, but have you done a thorough check for possible hidden cameras in your place? If you get a weird vibe from the owners, you feel like you are being watched, and the place is extra cheap, then it might be worth checking around. Especially areas where you feel the most watched, or uncomfortable. It's only a suggestion, but it won't hurt to look around.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-19)
Javelina is right: a lot of what you could be hearing has a natural explanation. Your landlords are hiding something alright. Do you think they ever enter your rental house when no one is home?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-12-19)
My father was an electrician. We have also done upgrades on our own wiring. Let me just say, when the inspector comes in to check off your work when you do an add on to your home, you learn a whole lot about what is no longer allowed.
The growling and crunching noises could be from the water heater, as you can bet that is old as well. The noise a furnace makes, especially an older one, can blow you right out of bed.
Plain and simple, they are making money renting out a house that is not up to code for a rental property. Many states and townships have laws that cover the rights of renters. I would look into that ASAP if I were you.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-19)
Your,, landlords are lying to you. If they had done any wiring upgrades you wouldn't be having to change fuses because there would be none. You are most likely suffering the effects of exposure to an electro-magnetic field. They are surely breaking several city ordinances. You see, there is a reason you got it so cheap.

Jav
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
Argette: LOL! 😆...I know right?...That's absolutely, downright frightening!...I think I'll be having nightmares tonight about 50something year old swingers! 😆
Argette (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
I think I'd rather live with ghosts than rent from swingers! Maybe the landlords are hiding the house's history from you. I have nothing to add that has not been already said and said well. But I do understand the part about hearing noises downstairs at night and I have to say, it freaks me out to read your story.
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
[at] zzsgranny: I have a niece that did the turn and take a picture where she feels something, and the smoke in that area formed a perfect head and two arms reaching towards the camera. She discovered later, that the house had been a drug house the tenants just before her, and that there was at least one and possibly more overdoses there. So the camera does work.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
Well it sounds like something is wonky. Maybe it is a ghost, maybe more like a disruptive (but non-sentient) energy that was left behind by previous tenants or the owners, or by a specific event. Something else I think you should consider is that it could be one of you. It has been theorized that some living people put out & suck in energy in much the same way it is thought ghosts might. As a result lights dim, electronics act funky, & maybe "poltergeist-like" activity will be observed. Is one particular person usually present or at least in the house when strange things happen?
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
This could be a combination of the prosaic and paranormal: badly wired/heated old house (the wiring may be new but it may not have been done correctly) together with odd/unfriendly nonphysical energies/entities. House could also have been built over magnetic ley lines, or have other such geophysical issues that lead to the EMF leaks zzsgranny mentions. Photos and recordings and journaling would indeed be good follow up, to see if you can establish a pattern or find other evidence.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2011-12-18)
iain: Well, it's okay to be skeptical... In fact, it's preferable... Looking for the logical explanation first is something we preach here 😆...I have a few suggestions that may shed some light on the sensations and feelings you and your housemates are experiencing... First of all, check for any EMF (electro-magnetic field) leaks... These leaks can lead to the feeling of being watched or sensing another in the room; some even get physically ill where the field is very strong...

You can use a digital recorder to see if you can pick up any unsusual sounds or unfamiliar voices, or use a video recorder for a few hours in a place where you most often have these "feelings", if it will be unused or undisturbed by yourself or your room mates for a while...Also, keep a camera handy, and when you sense anything, snap a photo in the direction you feel it coming from...

By all means, keep a positive outlook and atmosphere in the home... Thank you for posting, and looking forward to the results! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: