You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: The Dagg Farm

Real Ghost Stories

The Dagg Farm

 

This story is about our trip to The Dagg Farm last summer. This farm is well known around the Pontiac in West Quebec for a famous poltergeist that harassed the family there in 1889. The Dagg family is still a large family in the area and the graveyards around town have lots of old Dagg family members buried there.

This link will tell you the whole back round story and also has the sworn statement made by George Dagg and multiple neighbours of his stating that these events took place. I won't get into the back round story to deeply here as this is about our experiences at this particular farm. Needless to say this was quite a famous case at its time and many people traveled from a far to witness the strange goings on at the house. There is an old movie about it at the archives in town but it hard to get a hold of because people always have it out.

Finding the Dagg farm it seems is a right of passage for the local kids, as everyone I've spoken to about it has been there at least once. It took us four or five time to finally find the place. It is an old wood house that is completely surrounded by large trees, which hide the house from the road. On the day we finally found the place it was just at sunset like we planned, we had two flashlights, and a patio torch that burned lamp oil, this was my first ghost hunt and I thought having fire would add to the mystique.

The house does have a strange vibe to it, once we crossed the trees everything went quiet, we could no longer hear the wind in the trees or the birds signing. This place is in the back corner of a cornfield with an intersection of two dirt roads near by; beyond the roads is all forest. It was unnerving for it to be so quite but we continued on any way. The house has a small porch in front of what we assumed was the back door, all wood of the house has faded from white to a pale grey now. In the first room downstairs was a big hole where the stairs to the cellar used to be. When we shined our light down it, it was like the light was swallowed, it wouldn't reach the dirt floor which couldn't have been more than four or five feet below us. Very strange. The walls were all exposed studs as if some one had ripped all the old plank boards off the walls, and their was a random old metal tricycle in there too, it was faded green and parked in the corner of the room with it's front wheel to the wall. We went up to the second floor on very old and rotten steps, at the top two rooms branched off one smaller than the other one. Inside people had spray painted silly things on the wall like 'I was here' or 'so and so is gay' (like I said, the kids come here.) but I just couldn't get my feet to take me into any of the rooms. I didn't feel like I was being watched, it wasn't a cold spot, I just couldn't do it.

The worst things at the Dagg farm happened to us in the barns out back. There were two of them; one was clearly where they kept horses complete with a hayloft on the top. The barn still had its stalls for the individual horses with old rotting hay in the loft. It was very dark, a lot of rusted old tools scattered on the floor with some newer beer cans from previous visits. When all three of us had gotten completely into the barn a rope, which was hanging from, the ceiling between the hayloft and the barn started to swing back and forth! It was the strangest thing I have seen in my life as if some one had slowly pulled it back then let it go. It was an old fibre rope, hard to explain but I see a lot of this kind of rope around the old farms in the area. We didn't stick around to see when or if it stopped, we got out of there!

The second barn was a bit newer than the other one but still old now a days. It was clearly used for the tractors and farm implements. It wasn't very big but one side had three walls with an open part at the front, the second part had four walls with a big door on the front. I walked into the dark open part as neither of my other friends would go in after what just happened with the rope. To the left there was stairs leading to the top floor, this still gives me the creeps as I write this, but past the stairs it was very dark with just a bit of the newly risen moon shining in and I swear I saw something come out of the shadow and look right at me! It was just a vague out line of something darker than the darkness around it. I could clearly see the out line of a head and shoulders and the head actually turned to look at me. I got this horrible feeling like I shouldn't be there and ran as fast as I could out. I didn't stop when I reached my friends just told them to come with me and we booked it back to the car. I have goose bumps all over my body right now just remembering it. Sorry for this story being so long! Cheers!

Other hauntings by angelus_crudus

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Canada

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, angelus_crudus, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-18)
That's really freaky. You just ran; I probably wet my pants in the process. LOL! As for the robe swinging, could it have been the wind blowing it? (Just trying to rule out other possibilities).

Just had shivers thinking about what you saw!
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
Hi Angelus, no new ghost hunts yet?
Am waiting not so patiently 😊 ❤
Justin_9493 (11 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-15)
Thanks for sharing your story with us. Very creepy indeed! Thanks again.
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
Please let us know when you did your next ghost hunt! I LOVE it! 😆
angelus_crudus (3 stories) (35 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
thanks for the feed back! Now I just have to find another haunted house to explore, my haunted house is pretty quite these days, *sigh*
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
just did and found a bit more on a british site ~ misterious britain and ireland.com and does say it was the scottish girl dinah that had the most contact, even spoke to it. Plus with the growing interest the spirit stopped being so distructive, played up to the people who came to see what was happening and would sing too.
Thanks again for a fantastic post 😁
Carl
angelus_crudus (3 stories) (35 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
Thanks for the intrest in my story, please do google it, there are more than just the link I posted about it.:)
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-11)
interesting post thanks for sharing.
Sounds like a great first ghost hunt and also an interesting place to visit will have to google it to find out more...
Thanks for the link though.
Carl
angelus_crudus (3 stories) (35 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-10)
Also clearly after 122 years the poltergiste is gone, it's just residual energy left at the place.
angelus_crudus (3 stories) (35 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-10)
The figure in the dark was tall and hummanoid. I could make out the shoulders and the head of the thing.
Also, the people who originally expierinced these things didn't make any money off it, so I fail to see why or how they would 'commit fraud.' lol.
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-10)
I've read the story about the Dagg family. If there is so many people claiming this story is true, then it propably is. Strange things have happened to many people through the years.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-09)
That this intelligence is able to make himself visible to Dinah, little Mary and Johnnie, who have seen him under different forms at different times, at one time as a tall thin man with a cow's head, horns and cloven foot, at another time as a big black dog, and finally as a man with a beautiful face and long white hair, dressed in white, wearing a crown with stars in it.

And yet completely invisible to everyone else? Sworn statements are no barrier to those who are determined to commit a fraud.

Congratulations on your ghost haunt tour. But I'm afraid I'm less than impressed with the Dagg family poltergeist. A hundred and twenty two odd years later and the best the poltergeist can do is make a rope swing a bit in a drafty barn?
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-09)
Great story! This sounds like a really interesting place. I am definitely going to read up on the history. Thank you for sharing your experiences at the farm. I probably would have ran too if a dark figure came out of the shadows and looked at me. 😨 Very creepy, and enjoyable read. 😊
BlueTurtle (3 stories) (176 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-09)
Any place like this would be really exciting to investigate, especially for a teenager, and I can relate. One question though, the figure that you saw, was it humanoid or could it have been an animal? I'm sure if the place was abandoned, there would have been raccoons or other things living in the haylofts, and the thrill of a possible paranormal encounter could have driven the mind to see something far more spooky.
Just a thought, but an interesting story nonetheless!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: