You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: A Haunted Life

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunted Life

 

Just a little background information before I start. I'm a 24-year-old writer living in northwestern Pennsylvania, near Erie, and I've had paranormal experiences off and on throughout my life.

My first experiences happened in my family's first house, which my family and I lived in until I was a sophomore in high school, when the house burned down early Christmas morning. The police and firemen could never say for sure what started the fire, but they believe it was either electrical, from the lights on our Christmas tree, or from candles that were left burning in wall sconces by the front door.

Anyway, the house was built in the 1850s, and went through several owners before my father's family moved into it. It used to be an apartment building, with one apartment on the top floor and the other on the ground floor.

My parents told me after the house burned down that it also used to be an undertaker's house, and he stored the bodies in the basement. I wonder if that had anything to do with my fear of the basement, or if I was just afraid of the dark as many normal people were when they were young.

Anyway, my room was upstairs and was not really a room - it used to be the top-floor apartment's kitchen. A short hallway from the stairs opened directly (with no door) into my room, and from my room one could access my parents' bedroom, my sisters' bedroom and the bathroom.

Throughout my childhood, I insisted on having the bathroom light kept on and the door open as a sort of night light. I often heard footsteps coming up the stairs (much too loud and regular to be the house "settling" as my parents claimed). It scared me, but I sort of got used to it.

I also had a metal wardrobe whose doors often opened by themselves, and would open again and again after I closed them. It spooked me out, but I never stopped to think about what might have been causing it. Also, the downstairs door that connected our kitchen to the garage opened on its own quite often, but only when I was in the room.

My mom would jokingly say, "Oh, it's just the family ghost." She thought it was kind of cute; she didn't have any notion of belief in real ghosts or other spirits, and her idea of incorporeal beings pretty much only went as far as Casper the Friendly Ghost.

The worst thing that happened in that house happened when I was about in 3rd grade. I was upstairs playing in my room with some toys, while everyone else was downstairs in the living room. My room had one window with plastic venetian blinds. That night, the blinds were down. But as I heard a slight scratching noise coming from the window, I looked up to see the blinds opening by themselves. They slowly opened at a regular pace until they were fully opened. Terrified, I raced downstairs and joined the others. When they asked me what was wrong, I didn't tell them. They still don't know about the blinds.

Up until the fire, I always felt uneasy sleeping at night, and continuously heard the footsteps and dealt with the wardrobe doors. I felt strangely relieved when the house burned down. We tore that house down and had a nice, newer prefabricated home placed on the same lot.

In the new house, I was overjoyed to have my own real room, complete with four walls, a door and a beautiful big window that looked onto the yard. I thought that, maybe, my experience would be better in this house. For the most part, it has been - except for a couple disturbing encounters.

Back in the old house, I experienced what I discovered later is known as "sleep paralysis" a few times. I was awake and could see, but couldn't move or speak. It only happened a handful of times in about 15 years.

During my senior year of high school, the sleep paralysis returned with a vengeance. I woke up and saw the clock: 3:33 a.m. My television was on, as I always left it on at night because the noise helped me stay asleep.

But this time I couldn't move at all. I couldn't even wiggle my fingers or toes or turn my head. I could barely breathe, and I broke out in a cold sweat. I felt an extremely heavy weight on my chest and legs and the most suffocating fear I'd ever felt in my life. I was so scared I started to see stars and felt like I would pass out.

Eventually, after about 20 minutes of struggling, the pressure left me and I could move and breathe again. But the fear stayed with me the rest of the night. I could not fall back asleep until the fear finally abated the next night.

That summer, I left for college - a private Christian school in western Pennsylvania. I thought that, if anywhere, I could escape my paranormal past there. But I turned out to be very, very wrong.

I loved my time in college. They were the best years of my life, and not even a few traumatic experiences would change that. Nevertheless, my spirits seemed to follow me there.

About halfway through the first semester of my sophomore year, the sleep paralysis returned.

My roommate was a stranger to me. I was stuck with him when a friend whom I'd planned on rooming with dropped out, and his spot was filled with a freshman transfer. He slept on the top bunk, I on the bottom bunk.

That night, I felt the most viscerally intense fear I have ever experienced in my life. Nothing before or after that could even remotely compare. I was so terrified my heart was fluttering, my skin was numb and wet with sweat, my thoughts were jumbled and incoherent and I felt like I was going to die. I could not move any muscle in my body, no matter how hard I tried. This time I couldn't even open my eyes, and I felt the familiar weight pressing down on my body.

But this time, my tormentors made themselves known. They spoke to me.

There were three voices: a male voice at my right ear, a female voice at my left ear, and another male voice right in front of my face. I don't remember exactly what they said, but I do remember the male voice on my right saying "hello" to me, in what sounded like a normal voice.

To my surprise, I said hello in return. I wasn't afraid of him. He had a normal voice and I felt like I'd known him for a long time. I had struggled with depression for years, and medicine had not helped. I thought now I might have been tormented by this spirit and his friends, and they might have been the ones who caused the footsteps, the opening doors and the opening window blinds.

But after I told him I didn't want him around anymore, all three started laughing at me and mocking me. They started talking to each other about me: about the failures, bad choices, and mistakes in my life. This made me angry and I struggled harder and they laughed harder.

I managed to force my eyes open and turn my neck to the left, where the female voice was coming from. I didn't see anything, but I forced my hand up and grabbed at where it sounded like her voice was coming from, and I felt her neck. It felt like normal skin, like a normal neck of a slim, young woman.

But they just laughed at me louder and louder. Eventually I couldn't take it anymore, and I told them all to leave in the name of Jesus Christ.

Right then, they all screamed, and as the screaming faded away, I regained control of my body and could breathe again. I lay there, still terrified, but eventually got out of bed and typed up what had happened. I didn't want to forget or wake up later that morning and think it was a dream, because I knew I was awake and it was real. I was shaking hard all over, and my skin was slick with sweat and my eyes were blurry with tears. The clock said 5:00 a.m.

I eventually told my family about the encounter, and they wanted me to be tested for any mental problems, just to make sure. I saw a doctor and was tested for various problems like schizophrenia that might cause hallucinations. But the doctor found nothing and said that there was nothing wrong with me.

The visitations mostly stopped after that. But once when I was home on spring break, I woke up to a very loud crash that came from the living room/kitchen area - the kind of noise that's so loud and abrupt that it jolts you out of even the deepest sleep. I got out of bed and went to investigate, and saw that the kitchen garbage can was on its side in the living room, with all the contents scattered throughout the entire first floor of the house.

This freaked me out, because every night I put the garbage can up on the table so the dog couldn't get it, and it's far too heavy for either the cat or the dog to move at all, much less knock it off the table and drag it into the living room.

Also, when I went to go back to bed, my room was not the way it was when I went to check on the noise. I saw that my nightstand and lamp had been moved. The stand is heavy wood, with two drawers filled with stuff and the heavy lamp on top; way too heavy for any of our animals to move. It had been pulled out from the wall at an angle, and the lamp upon it was turned on and fallen on the floor.

I immediately suspected it had been the work of spirits; after so many experiences in the past, I just couldn't kid myself or deny it. I simply replaced the nightstand and lamp where they should be, read my Bible for a little bit and went back to sleep.

Another time, during that same spring break, my bedroom lamp turned itself on just as I was leaving the room one morning. I went and turned it off, but when I went to leave again, it came on again. (And no, it's not a motion-sensor lamp.)

Later that same day, I was home alone and reading a book in the living room downstairs. I started to hear a pawing noise from upstairs, you know, the noise cats make when they paw at a door. Well, I went upstairs and opened the door into the bedroom from where the noise was coming from. There was nothing there. I just kind of stood there and furrowed my brow, wondering if it was what I thought it was. I closed the door firmly and went back downstairs.

The noise happened again. I tried to ignore it, but it kept going and it was driving me nuts. Not with fear, but annoyance. I was trying to read, thanks! I went back up and opened the door again; again, nothing. I closed the door hard and took my book outside to read because I didn't want to deal with the noise again. I then saw my cat come up and rub against me; and I realized it had been outside the whole time. The noises could not have been the cat.

Those last experiences happened three years ago now, when I was a junior in college. Nothing has happened since, and I hope it doesn't again. But if it does, I know now the power in Jesus' name and I won't be afraid to use it. While those experiences scared me at first, I'm not afraid of the spirits anymore.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BelievingSkeptic, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

HauntedTomboy (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
Really? I'm a writer to! But you wouldn't want to escape you paranormal experience that its very bad. I made a mistake like that once bad idea 😐
BelievingSkeptic (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
Thanks for the comments everyone. Someone said that depression, etc. May attract negative spirits. I totally agree, and I definitely think there were some spirits lingering around my old house because of its age and all the negativity from people who lived there before (including us, too...).

Yeah I was struggling with depression for a long time, so I can totally believe the spirits were drawn to me because of that, and I'm pretty sure they enjoyed exacerbating it. Whether or not them only going as far as they did had anything to do with me or not, I'm just glad it never got worse to the point some people have, of physical injury and danger.
wolfeyes72206 (32 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-31)
hello one and all I am new here and enjoying a lot of these stories... I like to help people and make friends, yes I too have a story but don't like to tell unless asked, the memories still scare me.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Argette: I have no problem with posters telling the trolls where to go and how 😆 because it does get frustrating when you can see right through their facades... And really, it helps that I have "deputies" LOL... Thank you for your support, also, and Happy New Year!
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Being a very new poster, and one who was openly frustrated with some of the less civil posts, I feel kind of guilty participating in the thank yous that are due to zzsgranny and the others who are genuinely helpful here. But, what the heck, it's almost the end of the year, and I don't want to be ungrateful. I think this is one of the best interactive web sites I've ever encountered and so I would like to add my thanks, too.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Taz: Thanks sweetie! ❤...There are some here that I know "got my back" 😆...Winter break is almost over *shew* and it's NOW the most wonderful time of the year!...Well, unless you consider the end of Summer break LMAO! 😆
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
[at] zzsgranny you know from us all here you and what you do is respected and we thank you for what you do on here.

I for one would still be arguing with some of the trolls I have had the enjoyment of meeting if it was not for you my dear loonie granny! You have stopped me getting too drawn into there garbage and I thank you for that and everything you have done and will continue to do here.

So to the one and only zzsgranny I say keep up the good work, look out for the newbies like you do and thank you ❤ ❤ ❤
Carl
P.s sorry for jumping in there but it had to be said
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
*sigh*...Okay, I'm going to borrow Rook's soapbox for a minute, hope he doesn't mind 😊

There are times, unfortunately, that the comment section turns into a circus... I do my best to redirect the flow and most of the time the posters respectfully oblige...However, what really burns my a$$ is when there are those who feel the need to stick their noses where it doesn't belong by telling me how to do my job...Look, I don't get paid to this... I do it because I respect Martin, the other mods, the authors, and fellow posters; and most of all because I love this site...

If the thread doesn't suit your taste, offends you, works your nerve, or pisses you off then move on and let me do my job as a moderator... The less people involved, the shorter the mess will be and we can get on with being our happy little family!...

That doesn't mean everyone should refrain from voicing their opinions, but, to add to an already wayward thread with a comment about how badly it has strayed is rather redundant, wouldn't ya' say?...

I appreciate the offer to assist in making this a better place to come, really, I do... And I'm going to take you all up on the offer because I have a life outside of these pages and I can't always be here to monitor what's going on... But please, when I'm in the middle of a situation like this one with enchantix, I could use support, not a lashing for doing what is asked of me... Thank you...

Here's your soapbox back, Rook... Thanks ❤
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Lynrinth, most of the posters here are able to conduct fair and civil discussions. Sometimes there seem to be agendas, though. I believe we can work around them. It cannot be that difficult to be diplomatic.
lynrinth (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
LOL! I LOVE site! The "discussions" here are the best anywhere! 😆
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Javelina, I thought we were talking about that particular poster who surfaced a month ago (approximately) and then about 10 days ago with some really vicious comments. Doesn't deserve to be named, although the name ends in an "e" (Yikes, so does mine!).

So now I am really confused!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Argette,
Sorry, I read that comment differently. I could be wrong though. Happens all the time.

Jav
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
BelievingSkeptic
I'm glad you haven't had any more incidents occur in such a long while, a very good sign, but I'm sure you know that already. And you have a great attitude about all of it too. Thank you for sharing.

[at] zzgranny,
I hear tell we got us a regular "Fountain of Youth" around these parts. Well, I want in too! I'll take 26, if you don't mind. It was a good year and I think I'd like to try it again, thanks!

Jav 😆

Enchantix12,
Your sassing back to the moderator of this site gives your age away. Too late to fix that, huh?

[at] venky,
I have the same question as Logan... Are you for real?

[at] Razza01,
Zzgranny is the moderator here, her word is law. That isn't so hard, now is it? I don't have much patience for people who make snide remarks in an attempt to make themselves look as if their contribution to the conversation solved some major debate. The kid is too young. The kid is busted. If that is too tough for your tender feelings you might want to buckle up. Especially if you are planning on jumping into any more non-arguments. It may work on the playground, but it won't work here.

[at] 510mot,
Nice catch brother. Glad you're back.

[at] Moony,
...forget it...

😊
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Razza, you are spot on! We seem to have a few trolls who erupt every once in a while and create mischief. The moderators and seasoned posters try their best to keep them in line.

I've observe some really silly comments here lately, and some that are absolutely laced with venom.

Will you and the others here join me in trying to keep everything civil? Let's see if we can do it!
Razza01 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
I am new to this site and have been reading the various stories over the last few days, I have to say I think personally this has just turned into a slanging match and seems to have drifted away from the actualy story and help/advice someone needs. X 😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
venky: Yes, I am a Granny, and damn proud of it, so if your comment was meant to be an insult it didn't work 😆...You don't know the whole story behind this conversation with enchantix, so it would be best if you keep your opinions to yourself...
logan (3 stories) (222 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Venky... Are you for real? I have read your recent comments and really I have to ask again... Are you for real?!

I am having the toughest time understanding this guy... Any hlep people...

This comment from venky is hidden due to low rating. Show comment

aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
I'm only 25, I have been fibbing about my age for the the last 3 years Granny, so you can change my status to young man if you like.😆
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
Nysa: I've been 29 for 24 years LOL 😆...Wow!...That's all I can say; just: wow 😆
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
I suppose if I can jump back to 29 on my birthday you can jump from 11 to 13. I am sure granny will fall for that.

Seriously, I am 29!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
enchantix12: I'm sorry, but I don't believe you... In fact, I've already contacted Martin, the webmaster... I want you to understand that it's not so much about you breaking the rules, as it is about why those rules are in place to begin with... There are stories and comments on this site that would make your parents very upset if they KNEW you were reading them... Please visit the following site, as they have many links that are better suited to your age group... And when you really do turn 13, I look forward to your return...

Http://www.storytimeforme.com/topics/ghost-stories-for-kids

Thank you, and see you in a few years!
enchantix12 (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
At zzzsgranny: I did it because I have just turned 13 but anyway thanks for the site.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
enchantix12: No, you're not 13 just because you removed your age from your profile... Let me help you:

http://www.ghostsandstories.com/ghost-stories-for-kids.html.

That's only one of many sites that are more appropriate for your age... Please take this seriously...
enchantix12 (14 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
Zzzsgranny: please can you just leave me alone? I AM 13 and haven't given any personal information so please leave me alone.
truth_seeker (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
Its nice to see that you are fighting 'them'. Just keep believing and praying in God and you'll be fine. Take care. God bless you
ToriaBlade (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
The foot steps and your closet opening are both crystal clear signs of either a poltergeist or ghost; either one that's messing with you on purpose, or doesn't know it's dead and is perhaps doing things it did in it's life, oblivious to you. The fact that the activity continued in the new house that you had built over the burned one tells me that this particular ghost wasn't attached to you, but to the ground itself, that particular place. It sounds to me like the dead are simply drawn to you because they know you can hear them. I had a similar experience that lasted for about six months, until I stopped it. If you wish to know more you can email me...anyway, as for the sleep paralysis, it's possible that the two men and the women talking about you while you were unable to move may have been demons. I don't mean demons in the religious sense, either, I call them demons for lack of a better word. They are really simply corrupted human spirits. They're evil. They feed off of your mistakes; your fears, etc...I'm not sure why they targeted you, and I could be wrong. But that's one theory. Also, it's my belief that it doesn't matter what your religion is, all energy comes from the same source, no matter what face you put on it. Therefore, you could command it to leave you alone in the name of your dog, as long as you believed what you were saying, and your intentions were pure... You can drive it away with faith in yourself and good energy. I'm glad to hear you've stopped having trouble, but if anything happens again, I may be able to help. I know how scary these things can be.
Blessed be
Gabrielle
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-28)
enchantix12: please read and follow the "Comments Guidelines" at the bottom of the page, this one in particular:

"You must be 13 years or older to post a comment. If you are under 18 years old, please do not divulge personal information that could make it possible for someone to find you, for your own safety. If you are 18 years and older, it is up to you, but we still do not encourage the practice. Please use common sense."

And this in the "Terms of Use":

"Services are available only to individuals who are at least 13 years old, whether acting on their own behalf or as an authorized employee or representative of a corporation or other business entity. If you do not so qualify, do not attempt to register for or use the Services."

You need to delete your account as soon as possible, or it will be deleted for you by the webmaster... Thank you
enchantix12 (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-28)
At moongrim: you have no right to make fun of muslim beliefs as I am a true muslim myself, it is my job to defend my religion against atheists like you. So please mind your language and respect not just Islam but every religion. Please replay. 😠
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-27)
I am not sure what you find so offensive,Moongrim.Is it that someone believes in a higher power or is it that they feel free to say so on a site exclusively about things that have yet to be scientifically proven? I am not a holy roller by any means but I have accepted that there are things in the world that beyond my understanding. I assume that you do too, given that you believe that ghosts roam the earth. You have said that cold iron is very effective on them, am I right? Can you prove it? Do you know how it works or are you speculating? My point is that I don't understand why its Belief in God that offends you so when there are ghosts,poltergeists,fae,and magic discussed here too.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: