You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Dark Figure with a Red Eye

Real Ghost Stories

Dark Figure with a Red Eye

 

My encounter took place at a farmhouse in Lammington National Park (WH), Queensland, Australia. The farmhouse is very old, around 100 years old (I think) and was previously owned by the O'Reilly family - one of whom is famous for his rescue of the survivors of a crashed plane.

The house is regularly rented out to holidayers and I have stayed there on several occasions. On my last of these several years ago, I swear I saw something which I can only guess was a ghost.

As anyone who has ever been in the country will know, it gets very dark at night. This, plus the layout of the house, made it a great place to play hide-and-seek-in-the-dark. STOP LAUGHING IT'S A GREAT GAME.

I was the seeker and decided to search in the main bedroom. There was a fire in the room opposite so I could vaguely make the contents of the room. However as I entered I suddenly stopped as directly in front of me a pitch-black shape appeared out of thin-air.

I can't specifically describe the shape as it didn't seem to have a distinct edge and seemed to be constantly changing. It was however roughly my height and width. The thing itself was completely pitch-black, despite the fire behind me. I could also make out the contents of the room on either side of this thing.

Dark Figure with a Red Eye Almost as soon as it had appeared a very dark red point of light - where I imagine it's right eye would have been - appeared and began to grow brighter.

At this point I felt no fear, merely surprise and confusion at its sudden and unexpected appearance. I had never before seen anything like it. I did however decide that I no longer wanted to enter that room and so quickly walked backwards out of there. As I did so the red eye began to fade again and the entire thing vanished.

After having explored the rest of the house and finding all but one of the hiders, I decided it was time to search the main bedroom again. This time, no strange shape challenged me and I quickly found the last hider on top of the wardrobe. Thinking that what I had seen could possibly have been him, I asked if he had been there the entire game, to which he said he had. It was also obvious that there could have been no way for him to have gotten up or down off from that wardrobe without making enough noise for me to hear him from anywhere else in the house. It is only a small house but is very cluttered and very rickety. The floor creaks at every step.

I don't know what it is I saw that night and I honestly have no interest in finding out, I just wanted to share my experience with others. It was an amazing experience and makes a great camp fire story.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JPing, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Rosee (5 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-08-30)
Yes, very frequent Aboriginal sighting, but considered to be evil.
david181920 (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-31)
Loved the story. (And yes I realised the picture was for illustration purposes only) I have had two experiences similar too what you described. One was of a shadow that was making a fuss in my room (it did not have any eyes). And the other more interestingly had one red eye like as you described when I was in a remote area of south west NSW as a child. As I stayed at my great grandmothers 1850's house. This occurred as I looked outside during the night. It did not seem to have a body (no one would see a pitch black body against the pitch black background of the country night though.
And was wondering due to remote locations of our stories if it was an aboriginal spirit (not the same one) coming to inspect its clans land. (I know this sounds stupid but many aboriginal ghost stories involve red light) that being said however my great grandmother's family had lived in that old house for generations and a few people had actually died at the property. Who knows? I am going to post my story anyway.
samialyssa14 (1 stories) (9 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-08)
Ha! The story is great but I can't stop laughing about how many people think the picture is real. Its obviously a demonstration... P.S. Maybe you should edit the story and say that Ha ha.
lacusclyneofzaft (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-03)
I know what your talking about. I had it happen to me before. It was went I was 12 or 13 years old. I was reading some thing online and then I got off. I look out of my window and saw a pair of shadow figure and red eye.
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-12)
Oh sorry, but that is a very scary story, I would love to hear another story from you!
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-19)
Yes princess123, I did make it in 'paint'. The picture is a drawing I made to demonstrate what I saw. Why so many people think it is a "fake photo" is beyond me.
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-18)
not to sound horrid or anything but, I zoomed in on that picture and on the edges there is spray "paint", like my kid has on his computer, I am thinking that you have just made that on "Paint"

If it is not please tell me so I can apologize!...

P...123 😜
SomeoneUDontKnow (15 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-24)
its probally a shadow spirit such as the one I have seen. (I will post a story on it soon)
megankay (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-24)
wow, I'd probably would of freaked out a tad cause that's kind of scary...
❤ Megan Kay ❤
princess123 (7 stories) (186 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-24)
WOW that's interresttinngg! I love that picture! Looks sooooo, real x x x (I no that it is!)
🤔 🤔
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
Out of all the times I played hide-and-seek in the dark, this was the only time something bizarre happened and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people out there who have played and never experienced anything unusual.
Choua (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-04-15)
I've been told by my parents and grandparents that you should never play hide-n-seek during the night time. If you play hide-n-seek at night, then ghosts will come and play with you. They'll go hide and they'll make sure you find them. It's scary, but it's true.
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
The picture IS NOT real. It IS a drawing. I CANNOT stress the OBVIOUSNESS of this fact enough. Is there an echo in here?
Snowcaps01 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-31)
Hi PrincessKatie and yeah that picture is real I'm just wondering how jping got it if he was running away from it. 😆 😁
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-26)
He was hiding on top of the wardrope in the main bedroom, which (if you remember) is behind the door, so he wouldn't have seen me.

You're right, I should have asked him and everyone else if they had seen anything strange. But at the time I was a little shaken and unsure as to what I had just witnessed. I wanted neither to scare anyone or give them any reason to worry about my mental health. 😆
lindamichelle1 (7 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-25)
gah...ive been to that place!
i totally forgot I had until you mentioned it xD
i would of only been like 10. And can't remember if anything creepy went on.

pretty creepy.
u should of asked the guy in the room if he saw you come in. And if he felt anything in the room
chuzwuzum (2 stories) (29 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-12)
hey Jping. I'm from asutralia as well and have heard that Lamington National Park is haunted. Another good haunted place in australia is the Quarantine in Sydney. Went there when I was 12 and saw what I believed to be a ghost but wasn't to sure. Anyways look out for my story shortly 'unwanted party guest' as soon as I'm able to publish it on here.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-10)
Hello Jping. I can not think of my response if I were in the same situation. I wonder if this could be a "shadow person". I do not know, just offering a suggestion that someone probably already has (sorry, I haven't read through the comments yet). Thank you.
Cirdan (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-12-10)
Thanks for sharing this story, it was interesting. I hope it's gone now, or don't bother you.

Oh and for those who complains the picture isn't real, I guess JPing made it as an example on what he/she saw!
JPing (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-26)
The picture is a drawing in case you didn't realise. I thought that was obvious from the fact that it clearly isn't a photo.
ghostlovr (2 stories) (54 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-25)
Well that story would make a good camp fire story but because of the picture I have to think that this story isen't true. Any one could easly make a dark picture with a red dot anyday. So sorry but I din't think your story is true
JPing (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-11)
Keep in mind, the thing I saw only had one eye which was more of a red dot of light than an actual recognisable eye. Although I too have noticed that there are a lot of stories about dark figures.
ugurozokur (1 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-11)
Big Red Eyes in the dark outside bedreeom window...

A few days ago I suddenly remembered something that happened to me when I was 7-8 years old (32 now). It was late night and mom sent me to bed and I did. Laying in my bed, I turned my head to the side and looked at the window. As soon as I turned my head I saw these couple of red eyes staring at me from outside. I wasn't scared to death but I was a little frightened. I stared back for a few moments and then decided to show mom. It was gone when she came to the room and I forgot about it until now. I am 100% positive that they were a pair of red eyes and I wasn't alone there that night. It is interesting that a lot of people have met this figure almost with same details (feelings, descriptions etc) thousands of miles away from here. What is it really? Some kind of demon? Not a ghost though, that I am sure of. If anyone has an idea please e-mail me or post a comment
PrincessKatie (7 stories) (420 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-26)
red eyes mean demon that's what I got told. Nice picture it ait real which that picture isn't real of course. 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-21)
Thank you for sharing your story with us. As one plaugue with paranormal occurances (so to speak) I appreciatte the fact that you have been able to articulate your story.

God Bless!
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-29)
Dear JPing,

Good comment there to Enchantee. Nice to see you and hope you have been doing well over there and you are in good spirits. Best wishes, nice to have your comments on this site. Blessings, Abby
JPing (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-10)
It's not a photo, it's a picture I drew in 'paint'. If there is anything there, then it means nothing.
ellycat (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-10)
i just was playing around on paint with the photo there is something there not normal I inverted the colour and there is this thing there
ellycat (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-09)
freaky the thing about fireplaces I live in ipswich (its close to brisbane) and though I don't have a fireplace there is around 5 or 6 fireplaces in the street this story doesn't shock me considering that it can be called the supernaturl state of australia I can list heaps of things of the top of my head the devil pool where a startling amount of white young males have drowned minute minute lights carravin (I think I can't remember) gorge where around five men and a whole herd of cows are missing the mill (cant remember the story toowong cemerty (witch I'm going to in august yay) where the angel of death has been sighted even the brisbane town hall is huanted oh and tully where the first ever ufo sighting was sighted (sorry I get side tracked alot) heaps of animals eyes reflect red so maybe it was just a owl or something who knows
JPing (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-06)
Thanks Martin.

The picture is very rough, but should give people a general idea of what it looked like.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: