You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Cow Fields

Real Ghost Stories

The Cow Fields

 

I've lived in the same town all my life, it's small and in middle of the countryside, south of England. Around two years ago, me and a friend of mine called Lisa decided to go for a walk to this place we called the "cow fields". To get to the cow fields you have to go down a long thin road, that hasn't been used for years, surrounded by trees either side. The reason we go there is because of how beautiful it is, with all the rolling hills and streams.

When we got to the fields, it was around 3.30pm in the winter, we had about 2 hours of light left to explore around there. We sat on a small hill that has a stream to the right, and it curves round infront of you where there is a bridge to some fields to get back to the road.

I was looking over to the trees behind the stream in front talking to Lisa and having a smoke, when I saw a figure, he was holding onto the trees swaying back and forth in the wind with them, but it was more jaggedy, I didn't say anything to Lisa because I thought it was just my imagination, but it wasn't like I looked over and he disappeared, he was in the trees always, never left my sight.

He'd sometimes move from tree to tree, hunched over and limping as he walked, it was quite far away but I could still make out that he was wearing some kind of cap, it just looked like the shadow of a man.

I noticed Lisa was looking over in that direction, I was panicking, but due to my mental health history I didn't put it past just a lapse in my recovery. Lisa seemed to quiet down, and started staring over in that direction, that's when I suggested we left. I wasn't sure what would happen as we had to walk towards the figure to leave the fields, both me and Lisa were hesitant.

As we walked towards the bridge, the figure faded away, I was now 100% sure it was just me, and I had been making myself think Lisa had seen something when in reality she was just looking at the trees and daydreaming. We walked through the remainder of the fields and got back to the road, as soon as we stepped foot on the road I saw faces, I don't know how to explain it, but they were in the tree's next to me, it looked as if someone had taken a picture with a slow exposure time as someone turned their head, but they were all moving, so blurred and grey with their mouths gaping open.

That was the last straw for me, I turned to Lisa who was frantically looking side to side, I couldn't not say anything, I remember just talking so fast, like it burst out of me. I said "Are you seeing this?". Without saying anything she started sprinting down the road, I followed.

She was in front of me by far, I looked behind me and I saw the figure from the tree's standing around 15 metres away from me, I ran faster, I turned around again a minute later and there was nothing there, I slowed down because I just couldn't keep that pace up, I saw Lisa frantically looking at me over her shoulder, I looked behind me again and the figure was there.

He was probably around 4 metres behind me this time, just standing there whilst I ran further away, I didn't want to look back again because I feared how close he would be. I kept running when I saw something out the corner of my eye, whatever was standing behind me was now running next to me through the trees, I could see the cap on his head.

The strange thing was, I couldn't see him if there was a gap in the tree's, only when it was close to the trees. I finally got to the end of the road and we were under a lamp light, when we had started running it was only just starting to get dark, within about 3 minutes it was almost pitch black.

Before I had a chance to tell Lisa what I had seen, she was crying hysterically saying "it was right behind you, he was standing right behind you." She also started talking about the faces, and the man in the hat.

I don't know what we saw, but I have NEVER gone back to those fields.

Other hauntings by Geezy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Geezy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-24)
wow! I had an experience like that while travelling through Ireland back in 94. I saw a little man sitting in the tree watching me and me watching him... Never ran so fast in my life 😐
fllnangel17 (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
The first thing that sprang to mind upon reading this -- elementals. That to me would explain the faces in the trees. As for the figure you saw, I'm still scratching my head over that. Could be an an elemental trying to take on a more human form and failing, which is why his movements from afar seemed jagged when you first saw him.
RoseThorn7 (3 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
That was awesome. I really was getting chills reading this story. It's just so creepy.
darkbunny209 (2 stories) (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-31)
My friend has a field where someone killed people and when I went camping we saw people being killed and heard screaming so we went outside and saw a man holding a head we ran screaming to my house 😨 anyway it will be ok try and find out who it is 😊

~darkbunny ❤
Verookka (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-31)
Beautiful
________ story
Geezy
__________
Loved it
__________ too.
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Thanks for the update Geezy!
And can't wait to hear more of your stories!

Thanks again for sharing! 😊
Geezy (3 stories) (6 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Javelina
Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you ask anyone in my town, they will all have a story to tell you about something abnormal/ paranormal happening, I don't know why but it has always been a big part of our town, its history and stories.

The only legend I can recall is one I was told when I was quite young, quite near the cow fields (maybe a 5-10 minute walk) there is a heath, it has a huge pond and then acres of woods, there is a hill close to the edge and its called "Hangers hill" by the locals. There is a story that people were taken up there and hung for crimes hundreds of years ago. It's horrible to go there at night, I have a story from around there but I'll try and get that up on the site instead of writing it here!

Aya22
Thank you! I have an experience about the only local well known story, which I'll try and get posted at some point!
aya22 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Wow! This story really sends chills down my spine. It gave me a serious case of the heebie-jeebies. Moving ghostly faces with gaping mouths? Someone running with you, staying directly behind you? No, thanks! The UK is so steeped in history and it's hard to imagine what could be lingering from centuries ago. Are any of the local ghost stories affiliated with this area you were in?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-30)
Geezya
I like this one! You had me running along with you. Very frightening! I haven't a clue what it was, and honestly? I would say it's probably best that way. Hopefully, it was just passing through.
You've lived there all your life and never heard of that happening to anyone else, right? Can you recall ever hearing anything like this in your area at all? Old legends? Because this is some scary stuff. And I'm with you, I wouldn't go back there if they paid me!

Thank you for sharing,

Jav 😲
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
I don't know what to make of this one! It could be anything. As Pjod notes, there are many possibilities in history. Anything from William the Conquerer's invaders to smugglers and even Yankee troops. Or Druids, witches and the like. Hope we hear more!
Geezy (3 stories) (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
Looney- Thank you!:) I'm not sure about the history of those fields, all I know is that it has been used for livestock for hundreds and hundreds of years. Lots of locals have stories about all around the town. It's a historic market town with a lot of tragedies in it's past, so I'm not surprised people get a bit spooked!
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
nice description and rather scary- I enjoyed reading this. The fields of England have much history- who knows what goes on out there at night.
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-29)
Omg! Great story! You had me at edge!
Thank you for sharing!

Do you know any history of the place?

Looney
Geezy (3 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-28)
Moongrim- Thankyou for your input, I don't know if it played off our fear though, because we had been there plenty of times before with nothing strange happening, so we weren't nervous or frightened going into the field or sitting on that hill.:)

Moravian- Thankyou! I'm glad you enjoyed it, it was one of the strangest things that has happened to me! Haha
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-28)
Ha! This ranks as one of the best stories I've read here. I am alone on break from at my job in an old salt mine in upstate new york as I read this. Never know where these are going to be read. Thanks
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2011-12-28)
It almost sounds as if the spirits of the place were messing with you. As if they sensed your fear and were determined to make you afeared. Definitely something more than a bit fay about those fields.
Geezy (3 stories) (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2011-12-27)
We never really spoke much about it after that, it was a huge shock. We had been using a pendulum quite close to going to the fields, I've always thought that had something to do with what we saw.

The only story I've heard otherwise is about Lisa's house, she lives literally yards away from the lane into the cow fields and the previous owner of her house told her that there is a spirit of a chicken farmer there, and that he still goes on his path to where the chickens used to be, like vases and ornaments will fall over in one direction when no windows are open and no one was close to them, its apparently the farmer just walking straight into them on this way to the chickens.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-12-27)
Good call on not returning, it seems clear something did not want you guys there. Have you ever asked around to see if anyone else in the area has ever seen anything in the fields?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: