You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: James' House

Real Ghost Stories

James' House

 

About 4 years ago, when I was 14 I spent a lot of time with a friend called Kate. We lived in the countryside of Hampshire, a county in England. Her house was more rural than others though, she lived on the only road going out of our small town, her house was the only house on that road and it was around a mile from any other houses. Behind her house there were fields, they went on so far back you couldn't see anything else.

The house was white, originally it was a cottage, but it had been built up and was now a two story, 3 bedroom house. I have had several experiences in that house, but as it was so long ago I'm unsure if my mind just embellished the stories of smaller scares.

The first thing I remember happening was when Kate told me not to worry, but every night there would be three knocks at her bedroom door, it was just a child they called "James". Her mum told me the story behind James just after Kate had told me about the knocking. She told me they had someone who could communicate with James round after they experienced some strange things. The man told them that this spirit was a 9 year old boy, called James. He had died in a war when he was 26, and had then reverted to his happiest times, which was as a 9 year old boy in his old house (the cottage Kates house was build from).

The reason the knocking was always on Kate's door was because that was his old room. After that explanation I still didn't believe it was haunted, because I didn't believe in ghosts and spirits. That night I stayed in Kate's room, Kate was sleeping on the bed and I was on a materess next to her bed, I begged her to stay up until 12 because I was scared of the knocking, in case it actually happened, she promised she would but fell asleep shortly after 10.

I tried to wake her at 11.50, I remember looking at the clock, just panicking but she just moaned and rolled over. The knocking started at 12.02am.

I was sure it must have been her brother messing around, but the heavy latched door slowly swung open, and seconds after the computer chair swung in a circle. I'm not sure if this was the wind, but I freaked out. Now this is the part that I'm pretty sure was a dream, a very real dream. I remember looking to the side of me towards Kates bed, so I could grab my things, as I looked over I saw a little boys face under the bed, inches from my face, he looked strange, not happy or sad, more like he was playing a prank on me. A micheivious grin I'd say.

The one thing making me think this wasn't a dream is that I don't remember waking up, I just remember grabbing my things and running to the stairs crying, Her mum was sitting on the couch in the living room and I was begging her to take me home, I was absolutely terrified. She called my mum and I got to go home.

Another night I stayed there, and probably the last time I ever did, I remember the family were watching most haunted, I didn't want to get scared by it because I knew what happened in the house and it would make things worse for me, so I decided to go outside and jump on the trampoline. After a while I heard something, it was like a raspy breathing and scratching, I looked below me where it was coming from and a women was underneath the trampoline, I could see her face through the black netting.

She was wearing all black, with a patterned scarf wrapped around her hair. She was using her fingernails to scratch the netting I was sitting on, she was staring straight at me. I ran back inside crying and that's when they told me about the several other ghosts in their garden, including a women who lost her baby and still looks for it most nights.

I didn't really talk to Kate much after these experiences.

Other hauntings by Geezy

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Geezy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
It was a good idea you didn't go back anymore you know best what you can and can not handle. But if you are still interested in ghosts nothing can stop you from reading about them unless you suffer from bad dreams but books are a bit more of a controlled scare you can always put a book down. It was a very good story and thanks for sharing I hope others enjoyed as much as I had.
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
[at] Granny, that's a good point about this author having these experiences for her own reasons and perhaps at some point in her life she will go full circle on her own spiritual path... I too believe things happen for a reason... And I couldn't agree more about the chances of a ghostie hurting someone, a butterfly would have more of a chance...it's just the fear of the un known that gives people the creeps and unfortunately their own fear most of the time is the whole essence to the haunting and other sub conscious frights associated! 😨 😆 😁
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
Geezy: People move in and out of our lives for a reason, I've always felt...It's possible that your friendship with Kate and her family was one way for the universe to "ease" you into a life with the paranormal! 😆...I agree with Aussie (great minds and all LOL) that she and her family's way of dealing with the day to day occurances should be commended... So many times people freak out and think their ghosties are going to murder them in their sleep or something 😆, when all they really want or need is attention, acknowledgement, or help in crossing over...

I'm glad your friendship didn't end on a sour note... You could say that it's really not "over", but has moved on... 😊
aiafaith1 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
Wow. Totally creepy. The woman underneath the trampoline would have freaked me out so much, I probably would never come out of my room again! Thank you so much for sharing!

AF1 ❤
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
Thank you for sharing your story I found it most interesting for a few different reasons... I think it's commendable that your friend and her family have enough peace and tolerance with in them to co exist in a home that is connected to others in the spiritual realm and I'm sure their ghosties appreciate them as well... Three knocks? This is symbolic of an intelligent haunting... It clearly represents communication from this boy who is knocking to let you know his there... Most fascinating to find others who believe that when we die we can revert our age back to where we feel the happiest... I too believe we can do this based on some of the ghost who have visited me looking decades younger... The lady under the trampoline would have probably given bowl movement to most people regardless of how experienced they are... But having a think about it, I feel she was showing you how she felt imprisoned by her torment? Helpless in a sense!... Quite interesting how she chose to present herself to you and maybe this women needs some help to cross over, as she seems to be more tormented and confused by her past... I can understand too how difficult this was for you to comprehend, Kate and her family thought they were doing the right thing by telling you not to worry, but in hindsight they were probably better off saying nothing... As you couldn't get to sleep anticipating some of their nightly interactions with their ghosties.
Geezy (3 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
Ind1500, if you read the comment I first posted, I explained why we didn't speak after that.

It wasn't me avoiding her because her house was scary haha, it was me being too terrified to go back to her house, and the fact that we didn't go to the same school.

Going round her house was our way of meeting up/ staying in contact, when I was too frightened to go back it slowly ended.

Thanks:)
Ind15000 (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
Sounds like an interesting story!
I'd love to here more!
Call me dumb, but I don't see how this effected your friendship with your friend... 😜
Best of Luke to you! 😊
ghostlover6678 (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
I am sorry the ghosts tore you and your friend apart. But don't get me wrong, but maybe it was for the best, ghost wise. I got the chills just reading about the women under the trampoline, I can't imagine how YOU felt! 😨

I don't know how Kate and her family could put up with all the knocking and bagging if you can't put up with it for a single night, I would be the same as you, scared out of my wits! 😨 You were right to call your mother and not wait it out scared out of your mind, its what I would have done.

Because its not your own house I can't suggest that you "get your house blessed" or "Hang some rosery beads up", but I can suggest that you to stay out of the house. I hope you and Kate become friends again, just not in the way were you would sleepover at her house 😳

-ghostlover6678
Geezy (3 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
It was the first weird thing I properly remember happening to me, before these experiences I didn't really believe in things like ghosts and spirits, It was sad losing Kate as a friend, but I just couldn't go to that house any more, and we weren't at the same schools so we contacted each other less and less, it eventually just faded out!

She added me on facebook a couple of months ago, I think we've both changed and grown up, completely different people now! Not much hope of rekindling the friendship I think.

Thanks for all your input guys!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
Geezy: I think the spookiest thing a spook can do is be under something you're sitting or lying down on LOL... I agree with teneki, it's sad that you lost a friendship over your experiences... Have you tried to contact your friend lately?...
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
Geezy,
It is sad that you lost a friend over these occurrences. Although, at least with the first one you were warned that this would happen.
But having a spirit show up while jumping on the tramp? And scratching at it from underneath? No thanks! I would have reacted as you had. Just let me go home.

Thanks for sharing another chilling experience!

Jav 😲
HoppysParanormal (6 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... Chills... Put... A... H-haunting... Image... In... My... H-h-head...
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
I'm sorry to hear that the experiences killed a friendship for you. 😢

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: