You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Ghost Riders?

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Riders?

 

This experience happened this past Halloween -2011. My family had our usual celebration around the bonfire. Part of our usual celebration includes an offering at the crossroads, technically a Y in the road, about a quarter of a mile from our driveway. I volunteered to take it down and make the offering around 11:30 p.m. It is a fairly simple ritual that only takes about two minutes.

Just as I was turning to walk back to our bonfire I heard hooves on the road. It sounded like two horses moving at a decent pace but not extremely fast. None of our immediate neighbors have horses so it seemed strange that someone would be riding this road at night. I tried looking down both sides of the fork in the road but I could not see anything. I only had a small flashlight with me so I could not see very far. I stepped back into the brush a little bit afraid the riders would not see me and run into me.

It sounded like the horses were getting closer and I could hear squeaking now, like it was pulling a hay wagon or something, but I still did not even see any lights which I would expect if someone was pulling a wagon at night. When it sounded very close I finally saw two horses pulling what looked like an amish buggy on the fork at the right. As it passed I saw a man and a woman whose faces were lit by a small oil lamp. The horses, the people, and their buggy all looked strangely greyish. Not ghostly, more like unnaturally paled. I gasped but they did not look at me. Then suddenly they were gone. Disappeared as if they had never been there. One thing that jumped out at me was that they did not have the reflectors and safety sign that amish buggies have to have. I ran back up to my family and told them what happened. Everyone grabbed a flashlight and went back to the crossroad. We found some ruts like a wagon had gone past but those could have been there before from some agricultural equipment.

The strangest thing was that the offerings I had left were already gone. I have done some basic searching at the library and I have not found any records of old buggy wrecks or anything like that in the area. Do you think I saw ghost riders and horses?

Other hauntings by Luna0794

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Luna0794, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
Luna0794 - I just now got around to reading this story and I'm really sorry I missed it.

I don't have anything to add to the comments except a "thank you" for submitting this story. There are a lot of people who are under the misconception that Paganism, Wicca, etc are... Trying to be nice here 😉, less than desirable religions, practices, beliefs, what have you. Your story, and the comments and links provided therein, have hopefully gone a long way to help educate some who didn't know what Wicca is.

This is a great story, in all aspects. To have witnessed something like this had to have been amazing. I also think it was a residual haunting and would like to suggest that this year, when it's time for your offering, see if you can be there at the same exact time. Just to see if it happens again. Since your family does this every year, it would be...mmmm...exciting I think is the wrong word, but the only one I can think of right now, to see if or when it happens again.

I'd love to see "Ghost Riders 2" on here in about a year, give or take a few months.
Luna0794 (3 stories) (19 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-08)
Argette; that is really neat! The only offerings left outside our door is what the barn cats bring us. 😲
Ghostadventues; I don't think I was in any danger they didn't even seem to notice me. I do wear an amulet every day that I believe protects me though. Thank you for your concern.
Crecentblue03; it does feel like I peeked into the past that night! I feel very lucky to have experienced it, even if it scared me a little when it happened. I think most of our offerings are enjoyed by our animal brethren but when it disappeared so quickly after seeing the ghostly carriage it seemed really spooky!
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-07)
This is very interesting Its like you are in our time and they are going about doing what they would do normally back in their time you know with you in this day and time but seeing their time that's maybe why they didn't notice you. As for your offering maybe one of the beautiful creatures of nature took those. Wow what an amazing thing to have happened to you!
ghostadventures (1 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
hey be careful next time he could come after YOU! 😕 next time bring a cross
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
Thank you all that have given me so much to google. I am going to be 'stuck' here, to the detriment of my house-work! Lol. I am of Scots decent, it seems my education is only just beginning! Thanks again folks, for all the info., it is much appreciated. 😁
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
I agree granny & I think this account too is probably residual. Perhaps the timing was coincidental or maybe the ritual attention to the spirit world encouraged it to happen then. The fact that the riders did not seem to notice anything supports that conclusion in my mind, as well as the presence of the carriage.
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
Luna, we have found dried corn cobs, leaves and the shells of various plant pods outside our door. Go figure!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
Well, after reading the discussion, I have to question whether 99% of these sightings with vehicles/boats must be residual?...Does any one remember the posts about "The Death Coach"?...I believe it was Geetha's story...

Okay found it:
Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=12893

Great account of what DOESN'T seem to be residual...
Luna0794 (3 stories) (19 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
Argette; in my family we believe that the focus of the offering should be stuff harvested around the time of the holiday. We are sort of having our ancestors continue to share in the celebration of harvest time because we think they continue to be important. Our offering to Mother Earth is made in our garden. What kind of offerings do animals leave you?

Foxglove; both sides of my family moved to this area in my great-grandparents generation. One side from the Appalachians, the other side from the East. If it was my ancestors coming to partake of the offering, none of them lived on my road or the road that breaks off at the Y. I don't know if any of them used a carriage pulled by horses. We have performed that ritual in my family as long as I can remember. I think my mother did a similar ritual when she was part of a Wiccan coven before I was born. My grandmother has traced her family tree back to Scotland and my grandfathers back to Ireland. I don't think anyone has done our family tree on my dads side that far back.
Foxglove (23 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
Oh wow, can I first just say that this is an awesome story!

Maybe a silly question, Luna, but does any of your family go way back in the local area? Is it possible that the ghost carriage was actually your ancestors coming to collect?

I am also curious as to how your family originally came by the crossroad offering tradition. I know crossroads (and especially a three-way fork) to be important in Scots folklore, especially in the context of Samhuinn/Samhain...

OMG, Nysa et al, such an interesting line of questioning. Don't forget ghost ships too. In one of my hometowns (St Andrews, Scotland) there's a reoccurring apparition of a phantom coach that rides along one of the roads into town, supposedly belonged to a murdered archbishop who was waylaid and killed in the 'burbs. Although apparently you can only see the top half of the coach apparition, since the original road surface was lower down.

It's actually interesting from a philosophical perspective- where does 'the soul' begin and end, does it extend through inanimate matter- do objects have their own agency and spirit or do people 'transfer' their own energy onto them? I wonder if there are any ghostly sightings of an object without a person/animal involved. Anyways... Great read! -Fox
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
Yeah I have always assumed the same thing about clothes Mystique, I just never thought of that applying to larger, more separate things like carriages & motorcycles (etc). Maybe it is that simple, although now I am imagining ghosts creating thought forms like the Green Lantern. Teehee I watch too many movies.
mystique20 (1 stories) (15 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
[at] granny & nysa... Just wanted to share my thoughts about "ghosts" of inanimate objects...

Maybe they (inanimate ghosts) have to do with the self image of the human / animal ghosts... I assume we see ghosts in clothes because they see themselves that way... (does that make sense?).

Thanks, M
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
Interesting point about these two couple not looking at you... My son and I saw two people in a ghost car in broad daylight drive into the park and neither of them took a staring glance at us... The girl in the passenger seat kept her head straight... And let me say this!...Me I can understand not staring at... But not to look at my son who stands 6 foot 8 inch tall, handsome with an athletical built T-shirt off and all only several feet away from the car which was almost going in slow motion, that alone was bizzare... You haven't experienced nothing until you come across one of these, I still can't believe it or offer you one of my usual theories about them, however I am thinking now that the afterlife, may just be a world as real as this one?
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
Nysa: Those are puzzles for me too... Like ghost trains and cars... Very intriguing since I've never had such an experience... Maybe someday! 😆...
Argette (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
Luna, thanks for the information. I have been pondering what I could leave at the crossroads all day. I was thinking gifts of nature, so they would easily blend in with the environment.

I know it is off subject, but small animals have left offerings at my back door. Strange...
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
Sightings in which ghosts seem to have things with them intrigue me. A ghost horse I could understand, as I believe animals have souls, but a ghost horse pulling a carriage with ghost people in it? How can there be ghosts of inanimate objects? I know there have been many accounts of ghosts with various objects, but I just can't work out how it is possible. Such puzzles lay heavy on my mind.
ninjaz007 (9 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
Fergie, this is a good article on Halloween, if you still want to learn more. Http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween
Luna0794 (3 stories) (19 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-02)
Thank you all for your interest in my ghostly happening.
Argette; I have not followed that link but zzsgranny is right, my family is Pagan, different members of the family follow slightly different paths. The offering is made to the ancestors. By that we mean those of our bloodline and those who came before us that shaped how our life is lived. We make another offering that night to Mother Earth for her bounty, but that is not done at the crossroads. For this offering my mother bakes a bread bowl then we fill it with nuts, berries, and apple slices. During the ritual I poured wine over it. The ritual is really just words and actions showing respect and thanks.
Justcurious; I did not think to shine my light on it while it was beside me. I think I was too surprised.
Zzsgranny; thank you for helping people understand the holiday I was talking about!
Lynrinth; your thought is a lot like mine but I have never had anything at all like that happen so I was hoping to hear what all of you thought. Thanks for your post.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
Good description granny.
I agree with lynrinth in this case. Normally I would think it to be a residual type haunting, but the offering going missing changes that.
Aaah! The Holy Grail of hauntings, full bodied apparitions.
Thanks for sharing!

Jav 😊
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
Thanks, zzsgranny, that DOES clear it up for me. I live at a crossroads, and maybe I will consider this custom next year. 😳
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
Argette: I believe this O/P to be of the pagan religion, most likely Wiccan... October 31/November 1 are celebrated as Samhain... The offerings are given in thanks for an abundant year, and as hope for the coming harvest... It really has nothing to do with demon worship... This is another example of Christianity attempting to appeal to pagans with similar celebrations... All Hallow's Eve (Halloween) and All Souls Day just happen to fall on October 31/November 1 respectfully...

Hope I helped to clear some things up 😊
Argette (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
I was curious about offerings made at the crossroads, so I looked it up online and found this link:

Http://www.luckymojo.com/crossroads.html

And this one:

Http://reclaimingthedarkgoddess.blogspot.com/2010/11/day-of-hecate-at-crossroads.html

All new to me, and I'm not sure I want to get involved with it.

Now, I'm going to have to look up ghost riders...
Shadowyne33 (11 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
I really want to know what the offering was and what it was for! Please share!:)
lynrinth (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
Well, I'd say your Halloween offering at the crossroads did the trick. You made an offering, the ghost couple came, and it was gone! It could've a residual haunting from the nineteenth century, or early twentieth. And, being Halloween, the veil between the two worlds are thin, soooo it's possible your offering brought forth a haunting of sorts. Scary, but what a Halloween that will be to remember!
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
This is very interesting to me! We are not big on Halloween in South Africa, therefore, I do not know the customs ie 'offerings'. As a child, I had never heard of Halloween, maybe because my Gran, who brought me up, was very religious. (Methodist) It is only in the last 3 or so years, that my youngest grand-daughter has gone trick or treating in their complex, with other children. Please enlighten me on this subject.
By the way, I really liked your story. Thanks for sharing. 😊
JustCurious (2 stories) (434 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
Its possible you could have seen Ghost Riders, the one thing I can think of though is did you try and flash your flashlight on them? And if so did they stay the greyish, unusually pale tone, or no?

Peace
JustCurious
Argette (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-01)
Now this one is really scary to me! When I was a kid, I used to dream about this sort of thing - riders passing by the house at night. But you heard and saw them.

Can you tell me more about the offering at the crossroad? Who is it made to, what is it, etc. This seems to play a role.

Thank you for sharing this, Luna0794.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: