You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Footsteps On The Stairs

Real Ghost Stories

The Footsteps On The Stairs

 

Quite a few months ago in June or July, my grandparents took a trip to Florida for a quick vacation. So my mom and brothers were house-sitting for the time they were gone. I go to my grandma's every other Friday to spend the night with my mom (My mom and Dad divorced two years ago and this is where my mom and I meet.)

Before I tell you what happened, let me paint you a little picture of their home. They live out in the country, but they have neighbors across the street and maybe six down the two mile road. Their house is surrounded by woods and swamp. The upstairs when you first walk in is just the place where there is a couch and coat-hangers.

If you walk just a few feet and turn to the left there is a small hallway. On the left is my Grandpa's small 'man-cave'. Across from that is a bathroom, and next to that bathroom was my mom's when she lived there. At the end is a guest room.

Now, if you don't go to the left. In front of you is the dining table, next to that being a small kitchen. If you walk through the kitchen and go straight, you go to the master bedroom and if you go right just before their room you go to a door that goes outsie. If you turn right you go down the L shaped stairs. I'm not going to explain the basement, its not very important. Just a living room and stuff.

Anyways.

I was pretty bored, so I grabbed my camera and started taking random pictures, due to my like of photography. I was facing the front door and heard footsteps coming from my mom's room into the kitchen. I knew she was in there and heard the fridge open. I assumed she was getting something to drink. Then I heard the footsteps going towards the stairs. My bag was downstairs and since my brother's friends were over, I planned on sleeping in the guest room. I rushed to the stairs to ask if she could grab it.

I peeked my head over the edge and realized no one was there. I quickly walked to my mother's room and saw that she was playing away on her computer. I instantly got excited and told her what I heard. She confirmed that she hadn't walked out of her room and suggested that I see if one of my brothers were downstairs-since the other went to get food. I did so and saw my brother was fast asleep.

I've always believed in spirits and ghosts, so the fact that I got to hear this is exciting! I also find it facinating that the time this occured-along with another experiance I will post another time-my grandparents were not there. Nothing really has happened there, but it wouldn't shock me if there were some spirits because the land they live on used to be a peppermint farm. Plus, my brother told me that in the swamp two horses got stuck and died. I asked my grandma if it was true and she said maybe, but she wasn't sure.

Anyways, until next time!

Other hauntings by KaiWolf

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KaiWolf, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KaiWolf (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-09)
I'll try that. If you read my other story, my mom caught a few pictures of a spirit when she was taking pictures of me. I'm not sure how to post them on the story, but if I could I defiantly would!
ghostlover6678 (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-09)
Oh I didn't realise that you were facing away from the stairs... Maybe try taking some more photos, in random places and where you heard the occurance. It may help, something may show up on the photos! 😁
I'v always wanted to capture a spirit on my camera, but no luck so far 😢 Hopefully you will have more luck than me! Xx

GOOD LUCK! GOD BLESS!

-ghostlover6678 😁
KaiWolf (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-09)
No, my brother was defiantly asleep. Besides, he's more interested in the paranormal then I am. By saying it used to be a peppermint farm I was suggesting there may be a lot of spirits. There hasn't been any other experiences, just normal few weeks.

And no pictures of anything strange showed up, because I was facing away from the footsteps.
ghostlover6678 (1 stories) (35 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-07)
Interesting story, you mentioned that you began to take random photos, but did anything show up on them? I can't give my opinion or "debunk" as they say in the ghost programs, the sound of the footsteps or the opening of the fridge, I do think you may have somehthing paranormal going on! Think of it as something exciting, not something to be afraid of 😊 Has anything else happened since the footsteps?

Keep us posted 😁

-ghostlover6678
raccoonbonapart (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
The part about the horses interests me because something similar happened at a house that my parents lived in when I was a baby and that house was haunted too.

What is the significance of the property formerly being a peppermint farm? Are you just saying that people have been living on this land for a long time so there could be a lot of spirits, or is there a connection between peppermint and paranormal activity?
aiafaith1 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
Wow this is an interesting story. Your brother might have been playing a prank on you... Ask him! If it wasn't him though, I find it funny that the ghost opened the fridge, and when you're dead you can't even eat. Haha. Got a kick out of this story. Thanks for sharing. 😊

AF1 ❤
pinkparrot6202 (41 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-01-06)
this may relate to murder I am thinking outside the box, this footsteps could mean something it could feel like an unwanted spirit who may need serious help, or needs something.

Thanks love this story
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
There's always the possibility of a natural explanation, but that's just boring! It sounds to me like phantom noise, which I understand to be created by the residual energy of former or even current inhabitants. Not a haunting, per se, but it still qualifies as "supernatural". Have you reviewed your photos? Maybe something will turn up there.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-05)
It's interesting that your grandparents don't see or hear anything, but maybe they are shut off to such things. Keep your eyes & ears open when visiting, eh?
garvary159 (1 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Also it should be remembered that wood expands and contracts - the creaking noises are normally wood, and can sound like a person walking around...
Zanator (9 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Maybe your "fast asleep" brother was playing a mean prank on you...
KaiWolf (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Nysa,yup that's where they went. And no, for some reason things don't happen to/around them. And crescent, I'm not quite sure. Two years ago I stayed there a lot in the summer and sometimes I'd look at the stairs and even though the lights were off, swear I saw something dark move. Anyways, I don't know if it's residual, because my mom said when she lived there, she already had my older brother.

They were living in the basement and under my brother's crib was one of those little rolling toys that you put your kid into so they can walk-anyways, she heard footsteps come down the stairs then it flew out from under his crib.
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-04)
Whell, I have to agree with you hearing these things are very exciting. I used to hear things a lot when I was little until I turned 8 they seem to have stopped I think that's because I stated praying and this is why. I was small and very afraid and it was always walking around I heard, or one time a sinister laugh. I don't think its out to harm you because you are an adult you can better understand this, its most likely a rasidual haunting of someone who once lived there a long time ago and unaware they are dead just going about their regular day or night unaware of you but it is ezciting
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-03)
I am not sure if I follow, the footsteps traveled from your mother's room to the kitchen, then went down the stairs toward the basement? Did you ask your grandparents if they ever heard phantom footsteps when they were home?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: