You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: A Haunted Life :: Strange Events Beyond My Grasp

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Events Beyond My Grasp

 

All my life I have experienced or witnessed the unexplainable. I always brushed them off, until I began researching them on the internet about 18 months ago. It started with a sleep paralysis experience and a host of experiences I pretty much ignored for many years.

These experiences led me to believe there are powers, spirits and occurrences that are beyond my grasp. Since these are all isolated events, none would qualify as a haunting, at least in my opinion.

My experiences are all very similar to others described here, none are especially unique. But they cause me to wonder: Why is so much beyond our understanding?

Little Girl in the Field: There is an old road running north and south in my town. The north end is lined with houses and buildings, most constructed within the last century, but about 18 blocks out the houses begin to thin out and there is a long stretch that was once farmland. It is now vacant field with few out buildings and scattered newer homes. After a half mile or so of this, there is a commercial stretch, some medical buildings and an old cemetery. One day I was driving from a medical appointment, going past a field, I saw a small girl in late 19th century or early 20th century clothing, standing in the middle of a field, crying. Shocked, I pulled over a ways down the road, stopped my car, turned around, and headed toward her to see if she was lost. Only she was gone when I got there. And there was no building around, no hiding place. I drove up and down the road for a while, but - nothing. I began to wonder if I'd really seen her. And I haven't seen her since.

Aromas: My husband and I live in the 110-year-old house where his first wife died. I believe at least one other person died here, too. The master suite, a former lumber room or unfinished attic, is over the kitchen and I frequently smell the aroma of toast or bread baking at say, 2 or 3 a.m., but I know it's not from the kitchen. Well, not when I notice it, anyway. It's not my husband, because he is there beside me, and my daughter is at school. So what is it? The strongest aroma was cinnamon toast, about a year ago. I sleep very lightly, and I know I was not dreaming. I was, however, getting very hungry!

Cold breeze passing over me: One night last spring, it was too cool to have the windows open. The furnace was still on and the room was snug. I felt a cold cloud coming toward me and felt it pass over me. Because of the way the room and the bed are situated, it could not have come from a window. It has not happened since.

Other noises: Until recently, I heard my name in an urgent whisper, usually in my mother's voice. This happened in a variety of places. (My mother is still living.) At our house, we have also heard things fall over but when we check to see what has fallen, everything is in place. A time or two we have heard men's voices downstairs, only to find there is no one down there.

Lights: Every once in a while, there will be a bluish flash in the bedroom. There is one window, facing north into the tops of a grove of trees. So I'm not convinced the window is the source. It happens infrequently, and I would have forgotten all about it, except that a coworker who thinks she has ghosts has experienced it too.

Shadow people: I have never seen shadow people here, but I have seen them in my grandmother's house (b. 1863) and - I think - one of the two houses I grew up in (b. In 1888 and 1915) - or maybe both; I can't recall because I brushed them off as my imagination. I have never lived in a new home, but I have lived in newer apartment buildings, and I have never had a single experience in an apartment building.

Certain rooms: In the 1888-era house I lived in as a teenager, there were two back bedrooms, once used for the housekeeper of the former owner. We think she died there. My siblings and I were all terrified of the smaller room, but never said anything while we lived in the house. We were young adults before we shared experiences. The room was always cold and depressing. We used it for storage, and that might have been one of the reasons it felt weird. If we had to go into the back hallway at night (the linen closet was there) we would hurry and avoid looking at the closed door. I should point out that this house was also very near a cemetery that had been moved in the 1890s.

My office: My office building is about 50 years old, built near the site of a terrible house fire that killed a woman. The house on our site was the house next door, and was built around 1890. It was torn down just before our office building went up. When I am there alone, I often hear what sounds like electric typewriters in the main office. Sometimes I will hear other noises, like paper crumbling in other office; I just had this experience before Christmas. We have had mice, so that's been the usual explanation, but it doesn't seem to be the explanation just now. There is a certain part of the office that is feels different. I took photos to show them to a sensitive friend, and she picked up something. (No orbs; I'm not a believer in orbs as ghosts, anyway.)

Other places: A few years back I went to a party at a house the owners think is haunted. We had a tour and I knew right away where the most haunted spot was. It just felt different. I've noticed this with people, too. I once had to deal with someone who later became well known in our state for misuse of public funds. I have never felt such evil emanate from anyone.

All of these things seem disconnected, but they have led me to question whether or not there are simply things we cannot completely understand, or wrap our minds around. Which is why I landed here.

I have some other haunted work place stories to share, but those are for another time.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Wisconsin

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Argette, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

cecil04 (6 stories) (62 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-20)
Argette wow, thanks for sharing your summary of experiences, this was really enjoyable to read!

I will not go into detail about any of those (at least not now), but I can say one thing for sure:
You seem to have what in my culture we call an "open third eye".
I mean yours seems to be wide open from time to time!

My advice is: learn/train how to "open" and "close" it, at least for the sake of not getting scared in the worst case.

Keep investigating and researching, I want to see you un-puzzled about things like these one day!:)

I'm eager to read more of your input!

All the very best ❤
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
Anneke, I know that my house was built in the late 1890s by an elected official. It is not too fancy, but it does have some lovely old stained glass windows. At least five families have lived here. The house is near the campus of a small college, and for a while, the older lady who owned it rented the rooms out to college girls. It is entirely possible that someone who lived here in the past made cinnamon toast.

I believe I have had communication from one previous resident, but that is another story.
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
Have your husband's ex wife baked bread, etc. When she was still alive? I mean, did she love to bake things? It could be her that is still inside your house, perhaps she sounds like your mom...?
But ofcourse it could be someone who died there a long time ago, that is still busy 'baking bread'. Perhaps the old coock in the older days. Find out more about the history of the house, sound very interesting!
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
I read what you intended us to read!

Good points to think about. It is a continuing source of amazement to me that we can sense evil.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-13)
That is I wonder how many... (great proofreading Nysa!). I hate having to correct myself.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
I often wonder if these little isolated events happen all the time but people are too busy or self-absorbed or disbelieving to notice them.

I had an experience similar to yours with the embezzler. I was visiting a friend when someone her husband was doing business with stopped by. He was only there about 20 minutes & he did not say or do anything in the least bit inappropriate, he didn't so much as look at me wrong. But I unconsciously spent the whole 20 minutes moving away from him, he was not close to begin with but I could not get far enough away. I felt a little threatened but mostly sickened (literally ill) & disgusted. My friend laughed at me when he left because I had edged away so unnaturally. About 2 years later I recognized him on the evening news when he was arrested for being a serial rapist.

I how many supernatural experiences are really people feeling an energy that someone left behind. Maybe when we tap into that we even see & hear glimpses of the people or events that created that energy. I sure enjoyed reading your experiences.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
Granny, I'll have to ponder that one. My experience has been that I am more intuitive when I'm worried.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
Argette: I don't know if the stress makes us more sensitive, or the sensitivity makes us more prone to stress?...Good question 😊
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
Thanks, guys!

So many possibilities, Javelina and Taz! Yes, the flashes could be anything, but our bedroom has one window, which faces north away from the street into the tops of cedar trees. I wondered if my eyes were going. I never connected it to a haunting, until recently. It may not be. I may not ever know what it was. It's happened only a few times.

Javelina, it's been a while for me with the voices, too. Maybe we grow out of these "voices"? I always figured it was aural hallucination.

I do recall Holly Hobby. When I was little, my sister gave me a Holly Hobby plate. And yup, that's the style; used to see it in the late 80s/early 90s, too. I just thought it was a mystery, not a haunting. But you never know, I guess.

The other thing I have noticed is that in times of extreme stress, I tend to be a bit psychic. Does stress make us more sensitive?

So many questions!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
Argette,
I'm so happy you have decided to share your experiences here. Very interesting as well.
I had the same thought as Moongrim about the little girl, but it would be more interesting to know where she went. Also, my eldest was in love with "Holly Hobby" dolls when she was small and loved to find dresses that made her look like her dolls. They were so cute! And were the style you spoke of.
Hearing your name spoken in a voice you know but that person is nowhere around is frustrating at one end and unnerving at the other. It's been a while for me, and I wish I had the answer for that as well. I kept thinking it was just me.
The other voices, the conversations? Is there a body of water nearby? Sound travels miles over water. And that's all I've got for that one.
The lights: Are there any street lights on the road near your home? I only ask because when I drive at night, street lights will randomly go out as I get closer. It's called Street Light Interference, SLI for short. And those of us that have this effect on them are called 'SLIders'. We have no control over this effect, and for now it is merely an anomally. Just throwing it in the basket with the rest.
I think I should stop now or there won't be anything left.
This was fun Argette! A laundry list of sorts. And so much to ponder.
When you toss it all into the pot, I wonder what you will get?

Thank you for sharing! (about time)
~digging an elbow in your direction~ 😉

Jav ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
ohhh argette you tease! Lol loose ends indeed!
Like I said I'm glad you decided to add these and have to say the waking to smells of food would drive me crazy.
Only time you should be woken up by cooking smells is if your getting breakfast in bed!
So keep writing, tie up these "loose ends" and post again soon please 😊
Carl
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
Carl, thank you so much! I was thinking about you as I posted and was hoping you would be around to read it tonight.

There are a few odds and ends I am saving. Oddly enough, it has been nearly a year since I've had any strange experiences at home. Work is another matter.
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
wonderful post argette thanks for adding 😊
Have to say I'm glad you decided to post all of your little experiences in one full post, and I can't wait to hear more about your office experiences!
Really enjoyed reading these and will be adding to my favs 😁
Will be looking out for the next post.
Carl
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
Zzsgranny, I seem to recall blue and pink clothing on the little girl, but they were dusty, grayed down, not true. I am not aware of any Mennonites in that neighborhood - most of the Amish and Mennonites live in really rural areas. And yes, I have no idea where she went. The field is treeless. She looked to be crying. I thought she was lost and wanted to find her to help her. We do have some religious sects here that don't dress as plain as Amish or even Mennonites, but do wear modest, old-fashioned clothing.

Did I imagine her?

I will go look up your story.
aya22 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
Argette, thanks for submitting all of these experiences.
As for the waking up and smelling baked goods in the middle of the night, that's just plain evil! Kidding. That would be really nice, actually. But, for sure, it sounds like you can discern what's around you. Whether it be people, places, or what's not easily explained. Your description of the person who misused public funds sounds quite scary, and it is a very awful thing to do. I've met a few people who've given me the absolute heebie jeebies, but have never known why. Looking forward to learning more about your office!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
Argette: Moongrim's suggestion may explain a girl, but I think the question is, where did she go?...Having grown up in Northeast Ohio, I have been exposed to the Amish/Menonite community...I'm sorry, I can't remember which branch wears the brighter colors and which are more "puritanistic" for lack of a better word... How would you describe her clothing as far as color, prints, or lack thereof? (navy blue or black)...

Also, I can relate to those "phantom" scents... I have a story posted: "Scent Of A...Ghost?" you may be interested in...

Raggedwolf: I had to LOL at the cultural differences, once again... Most of us here in the States refer to college as "school"...And you said "smelt" 😆...Hand to God, I had to look that up after the last discussion! 😆..."Smelt" here is either a little silver fish, or the method of melting down iron ore to use for steel...Although, it is used by more educated people in the sense you used it 😆
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
Zzsgranny, thanks. That is it exactly: I never really "believed" in what are often called paranormal occurrences until so many odd things kept happening.

Moongrim, you might be on to something here. We do have Mennonites, Amish and other groups that might explain this little girl's garb.

Rath, you may be correct. Some incidents only surfaced in my memory after I started reading the other posts here.

Raggedwolf, she is at college. Or was when this occurred. She was away at college. Many people, at least in my area, refer to college as school.
raggedwolf (1 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
Nice stories. One question, you said your daughter was at school when you smelt bread. At 2 - 3am?
rath9375 (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
I have a feeling you have seen more than you remember. These "little" things are just a peek at what you can do.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
When it comes to the young girl, I don't suppose there are any Mennonites in the local vicinity? It's a bit of a reach, but still...
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-01-12)
Argette: Thank you for submitting your collection of weirdness... I can so relate 😊...I believe it's a culmination of the "little" things that finally leads most of us to the conclusion that there's a lot we don't understand, and probably won't until we've passed on ourselves...

Thank you for posting, and I'm looking forward to reading more about your office! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: