You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Dachau

Real Ghost Stories

Dachau

 

This story is very short, but very deep in my opinion. Anything to do with this terrible chapter in history should be.

Around a year ago, my dad and I took a trip to Munich, Germany for Easter. I absolutely fell in love with Germany, it was one of the best trips of my life. Even though there are wonderful parts of Germany, that certainly doesn't mask its dark past. On my trip, my dad and I scheduled to go to Dachau to wander the concentration camp there.

Unlike most concentration camps, Dachau didn't partake in the mass executions by gas chamber. The gas chamber there was hardly ever used. Even though the severity of the camp's cruelties might not've been as bad as other camps, it was still very grave.

My dad and I lingered behind a tour for awhile that was held in the main building. The main building's purpose was to classify newcomers- to get their papers, to number them, shave their heads, confiscate their clothes, and anything else to process them. It also served as an area for torture.

We followed the tour group into the room mainly used for punishment. There were whippings, but what Dachau is more infamous for is how they hung men up by their arms. They would tie their hands behind their backs, and then hang them up by their hands. This ripped the muscles, ligaments, tendons, you name it. I only half listened to this, and it left my mind as I continued on further into the building.

This is where it gets unexplainable. As I was wandering around in the third to last room, I felt uneasy. My shoulder blades began to ache unbearably and I felt lightheaded. This only worsened over time, and as I reached the last room, I could barely stand and ended up sitting on a window sill for some form of comfort. Of course my dad thought I was being dramatic, but believe me when I tell you this feeling was real.

I decided to go outside for fresh air, and within minutes of being out of the building I felt better. It wasn't until later when I remembered what exactly they did to men in there. They hung them by their arms.

I'm not entirely sure, but I have a feeling that I felt a portion of the suffering they went through. I don't think it was intentional, I don't know what it was. But whatever it is, I'll never forget it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Claws, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sistermary (4 stories) (13 posts)
+2
11 years ago (2013-09-04)
Although I'm curious to go on a tour of a Concentration camp I don't have the guts to. My great uncle was a POW in Stalag 18A in Austria during WW2 for 2 years which he described as an awful experience.
4 years ago my fiance went to Munich on business. He and some colleages went on a tour and ended up at Dachau. He doesn't believe in the paranormal, or so he says, but he felt so overwhelmed by a feeling of hopelessness that he had to leave halfway through the tour to go sit back on the tourbus.
Thanks for an interesting story.
Claws (guest)
 
11 years ago (2012-10-22)
[at] sunbeam90

Sorry for the very late reply, I haven't been on much lately.

I've been thinking that exact same theory for awhile now. I always hated sleeping with the sheet and never liked ice in my drink, two things that are German customs. It was a giant coincidence. I could've had a past life in Germany:)
sunbeam90 (3 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-06-12)
good story. So you really felt that special pain. Maybe you had some kind of deja vu or past life experience. What other emotions did you feel at Dachau? Did you have the feeling as if you had been there before?
Maybe you once were an inmate at Dachau and you died that special way.
And you also said that you fell in love with Germany. That might also be a hint for a past life lived in that country.
Argette (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-14)
Nysa said it very well. The depth of pain and the amount of it would certainly leave some sort of energy behind that would affect those who visit.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+7
12 years ago (2012-01-14)
I am not surprised to hear of someone literally feeling the pain that people suffered there. I bet it happens more than people admit. I don't think that any spirit has stayed behind to transfer this pain to the living. It seems likely to me that the energy left behind by that suffering is still there & palpable to those who are sensitive enough to feel it.
Argette (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-14)
You are very brave for having toured this terrible place. I sometimes think we all should, just to understand. How could this - the Holocaust - have happened in the 20th century? My father was with a division that helped liberate one of the camps. He shared some stories with me. I'm afraid of what my reaction would be if I toured such a place.

Thanks for sharing this. It's a grim reminder of what must never happen again. And we must never forget.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: