You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Water Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

Water Ghost?

 

My first experience with unexplained water was when my husband (however, he was only my boyfriend at the time) and I lived in a two bedroom apartment. We lived there about 3 years on the second floor which was the top floor of that section, so no one lived above us.

The apartment came with its own washer and dryer tucked away in a small closet. They were side by side type, not stackable. The house chores were split up between us, so the laundry became mine usually doing it once a week. About a year into living in the apartment, I began my usual duty of separating laundry to get ready to wash. I collected the first pile and opened the closet door to the washer, dumped the clothes and soap in, closed the lid and laid my hand on the dryer top, as usual, while I looked at the washer dial to start it. As I did that I realized my hand was in a puddle of water. It was on top of the dryer covering the whole top, about an inch away from the edges, and was not spilling down the sides. I was very confused about how it got there. It had not been raining. I looked at the ceiling and saw no water damage. I looked around on the floor, no water. I looked along the walls, no water. I asked my boyfriend and he had no clue after he looked everywhere I had just looked. I scratched my head, shrugged and cleaned it up.

A few months later I was dusting the furniture in the spare bedroom. I went over to the night stand to dust it and stopped in my tracks. The clock radio was flashing wildly with weird shapes instead of numbers (digital clock) and there was water all over the radio and the top of the night stand about an inch away from the edges. The radio was fried. I unplugged it quickly before I touched anything else. There was no evidence of a leak in the ceiling and no water on the carpet or down the side of the table. I called my boyfriend to come look. He was baffled. We threw the clock out and I cleaned up the water, still scratching my head.

After we moved from the apartment we rented a townhouse for three years, but nothing happened there. We got married and bought our own home that we have now lived in for 13 years. The water incidences that happened in the apartment were a distant memory and never really thought of or discussed at all... At least until about the 8th year we were in our house. We have a fairly large eat-in kitchen and off of the kitchen is a large bump out where we had wicker furniture and made it into a sitting area.

We came home after going out for dinner one night (only gone for about an hour and a half) and flipped on the kitchen lights, walked to the point where we could see a full view of the bumped out sitting area and the floor was full of water. It had not been raining at all. The water covered the entire floor but stayed several inches away from the walls all the way around the room. We just stood there stunned. We looked at the ceiling and my husband even touched the ceiling and ceiling fan. They were dry and no evidence of water coming through. We checked all the way around the windows in the room. All closed, locked and all dry. We check the walls, light sockets, anything that could explain the huge amount of water. We couldn't find anything. We even smelled the water to see if there was an odor, but there wasn't. It was just plain 'ole water. So he got the mop and I got a bunch of towels and we cleaned it up, but also began to recall what happened in the apartment and scratching our heads.

A few months later we came home from work at the same time one evening. We walked in together, put stuff down and I had some trash in my hand. Our trash can was the type with the foot peddle you step on the flip the lid open and was over at the end of one counter in the kitchen. I went to open the trash lid and to balance myself I put my hand on the counter, right into a puddle of water. It covered the entire counter, but was about an inch away from the edge on all sides. Nothing was dripping down. We looked at the ceiling, the sink, and any possible way the water could have gotten there. We found nothing. My husband doesn't believe in ghosts but that time he said "oh, come on!" Then we cleaned it up scratching our heads. I have since dubbed the incident the "Water Ghost".

I did do a little searching on the internet about ghosts and water and possible meanings, but I really didn't come up with anything. I told my Dad the whole story and he was fascinated and tried to do some research but barely came up with anything himself.

Nothing has happened with water since, but I am still baffled and scratching my head over it to this day.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lexis1996, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Downofpower (13 posts)
-1
10 years ago (2014-03-20)
Oky I didn't heard it from the internet but a guy I know he do black malgic told me that demons possess water and specialy at night 3 am good luck
justloafing (1 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-03-05)
Wow I just happened to find this because of water in my house. About a year and a half after I moved into my house I had water on the floor.

One night my girlfriend, a friend and I sat down to eat dinner. The chairs are high so you rest your feet on a cross bar on the chair. We probably were sitting eating and talking for about 20 minutes.

I was finished and when I got up I was standing in water on the tile floor. Nothing was leaking and the same thing happened. No water was touching a wall or below a window and the weather was beautiful. It was about a foot away from the water cooler and completely dry around the cooler. No leak from the sink or plumbing. No leak from the ice maker or water from the refrigerator. This water just showed up and it was probably covering around 40 square feet of the floor.

This is on the second floor of the house. No water lines above in the attic. Now that might seem strange but here is the strangest. I mopped up the water and brought the dogs in from the deck also second floor. I was taking them out so they could use the bathroom. There are 2 landings in the staircase. The first landing you can go out the door and down another set of stairs to the driveway or take another set of stars to the basement. Well at the first landing to where the door goes outside was a small puddle of water not near the wall and about 6 inches from the door.

This only happened one time. I was looking up water on floor on google and ran across this.
LaurieB (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-04-20)
This JUST happened to me. I fell asleep around 10 last night and woke up about an hour ago (4am). I had left the tv on downstairs so I went down to turn it off and there's a foot and a half wide rectangular puddle between my coffe table and tv. I live in a 3 floor condominium and my first floor is where my living room and kitchen are and is the 2nd floor of the building. The 3rd floor is the bedrooms. It is raining outside but there's no leak from the ceiling. Directly above my living room is my bedroom so there's no source. This is very strange and has never happened to me before. I'm a little svared,. Wjere did it come from?!
Trybal_Knyte (6 stories) (37 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-01)
lexis,

In my culture, water is often seen as a portal. I live on an island and I cannot have salt water trail in to my house as it is an invitation for other beings to enter without permission. I am sure I read about some American Indian tribes who also have similar stories. I hope that you can find the explanation. Great mystery though.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-19)
lexis1996,
There is another possibility here, it's just another one of my 'running with scissors' theories that hit me every now and then. And it goes something like this...
Because water is a life sustaining, life giving force, I'm wondering if there is any poosibility that someone close to you or your husband happened to give birth near the times these episodes took place. I realize it's a longshot, but you want all thoughts on this, and that's mine. I hope it helps, but even if it doesn't, this is still very interesting, and yes, definetly a head scratcher.

Thank you for sharing.

Jav 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
Haha everything I wanted to say has already been gobbled up by Nysa, Miracles and Cosmo ahhh gotta love it! 😆

Lexis1996: Are those the only weird experiences you have had? What about dreams and feelings etc, also your family and partner? Definitely a message of some kind, the water has to represent something. 😕 Very intriguing this account, if you could keep us updated on this it would be greatly appreciated. 😁 Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
lexis1996,
The water being inches away from the edge of the table, dryer and walls can be explained. That can easily be caused by a build up of floorwax and furnitute polish. And really, it doesn't even need that if the surfaces are in like new condition or kept reasonably undamaged for the life of the product. However, this does not account for the source of the water, not by a longshot.
Do you live near a large body of water? Ocean, river, lake, etc.? Do you have many foggy days or nights? Is there a time of year or season that is particularly humid? What about house plants in those areas of the home? Do you iron your clothes with a steam iron? Or do you ever use a steamer in lieu of an iron? Do you use bottled water? If so, is it from the fridge or a water cooler on a stand? Do either one of you go cycling or hiking and carry your water in a camel back water carrier that you would wear almost like a backpack, or around your waist?
Sorry for the multitude of questions, but it's best to eliminate all outside possibilities first. And sometimes it takes an outsider's questions to stir something up that you may not have considered.
Very puzzling, I must say.

Jav 😕
moravian (1 stories) (171 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
My girlfriend, 28 at the time, had small streams of water flowing out her hallway wall - there was no plumbing in that wall and nothing. Above it but an attic crawlspace. It was not raining and had not been raining. Strange stuff - the paranormal world is strange.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
Hi lexis1996, I am a big fan of puzzles and mystery and your story is definitely a great brain teaser. I am also in agreement with Nysa and Miracles about it being a possible message.
You mentioned that the water incidents in your new home started about 8 years after you moved in. Do you recall how long you lived in the apartment before it happened there? Not sure if the time frame has anything to do with it, but it would be interesting if water turned up at the lake house when you reach the 8 year mark. Thanks for sharing this with us, and please keep us posted. 😊
misstee (guest)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
Since you bought a house by a lake, I would just be cautious that maybe it's a warning of some kind, I don't know if you have children but if or when you do, just be careful of them around water!
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
I must say this one's the most puzzling story on this site that I have ever read. Water Water Everywhere,, but not a source to find! 😜 Well, even I don't have any idea what's behind those weird incidents,, but I would only say that you are lucky enough that it has never harmed you. Hope so it will never... Take care...
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
lexis1996 - I agree with Nysa. I believe this to be some sort of message, or clue, rather than a haunting.

I know this question is going to sound contradictory, but do you or your husband know of anyone who died in or around water? For this to occur for so many years, in different locations, it has to mean something.
lexis1996 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-18)
Thanks for the comments.

Macer_man- I have never seen the movie Dark Water. Glad to make you laugh.;-)

Sunset_savage- Not sure if it is paranormal activity. But just very strange in the placement of the water that makes me to believe maybe it was. I have had other odd incidences that happened to me in my Mother's home, but not in my own home.

Misstee- I agree it's not normal, so I shared the story here thinking maybe someone else has experienced something similar?

Nysa- No, my husband or I have never been afraid of water or drowning. A message is an interesting thought though. We did buy a second house at a lake 5 years ago this April. Hmmmmm...

Teneki-Thanks, I'll look into that.
teneki (10 stories) (140 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-17)
Maybe some form of water elemental? At least, that's what I'd look into.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-17)
It sounds more like a message than a haunting to me. Since there was such a long break between incidences there might be a clue in the timing. Can you think of anything that was the same during the recent incidents as when you lived in the apartment, but different in the interim? I hope that made sense. Also how do you feel about water? Do you have any water related phobias (like drowning etc.) Do you feel especially at home or peaceful when you are in or around a lot of water?

If it had been one or even two incidents I would have thought you just missed a source. But four times, with a thorough search done each time is too much for a coincidence in my opinion.
misstee (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-17)
Hmm, that's really strange that the water always seems to be an inch away from the edges of each place and with no type of visible leaks. Hard to say if its paranormal but its definitely NOT normal lol
sunset_savage (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-17)
I don't quite understand how four puddles of water spread out over many years and different homes is the result of a haunting. Is there anything other than these four puddles that point to paranormal activity?
Macer_man (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-17)
XD Sounds just like that movie Dark Water:P lol I can't help but laugh at this story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: