You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Some Things a Child Should Never Do

Real Ghost Stories

Some Things a Child Should Never Do

 

Bloody Mary... I played that during a lock-in at my elementary school just for the fifth graders of course, as it was celebrating our time almost being up in elementary school (a lock-in, is a large, supervised slumber party, basically). Well, now I don't know if it WAS Bloody Mary, but something definitely happened. So much so that one of my friends was scared so much, that her parents had to home school her. Well, my two friends and I were bored, and so we started telling scary stories. I can't remember the exact time, but I think it was around eleven thirty. All of the kids (there were about forty of us) were piled into the cafeteria/gymnasium (it was one huge shared part of the building)... and we were bored.

One of my friends, Monique, told us about Bloody Mary, and how if you said her name three times in a dark bathroom, looking at the mirror, and have the taps running at full... she'd appear in the mirror. Monique told us that if you could stare her down, she'd grant you a wish. So the three of us hopped up, got a chaperone to escort us to the bathroom, and off we went. The guy chaperone stayed outside, and we went in.

On getting in, my other friend Shannon and I got too scared, and said nevermind, so we both went into the stalls to use them, leaving Monique out by the sinks (and the three HUGE mirrors behind them). Midway through 'going', all the taps turned on and then the lights turned off! I couldn't believe Monique was going to do it! I heard Shannon shout "NO!", and we both got out of the stalls around the same time, just as Monique was saying Bloody Mary for the third time. What I saw next gave me nightmares for about 5 years.

Through the moonlight (and light posts) coming through the window to my right, I could see the water coming out of the taps didn't look right. Not daring to look in the mirror, I approached to see that the water looked black. I put my hand under one, and the water was luke warm and thick. I looked over at Shannon, who was staring hard at Monique. Monique had this odd look on her face, with her mouth in an 'o' shape. Before I knew what was happening, the mirror directly in front of Monique cracked, and shattered onto the floor...

Monique had a piece of the mirror in her hand (although I never saw her bend down to pick up a piece), and was dragging it across her wrist... And the same black stuff that was coming out of the taps started to leak from her wound (blood from the taps... Blood from her wrist). I couldn't help myself, I was frozen to the spot.

Finally, Shannon seemed to break free of the spell she'd fallen under, screamed, and the male chaperone flew into the room, flipped the lights on, and as soon as the lights came back on, it was as if nothing happened. The taps were off, the mirror was unbroken...

But Monique was still bleeding from the wrist, and I still had blood on my hand from the tap. I quickly moved to the sink to wash it off (thankfully the chaperone didn't notice my hand, otherwise I think I would have been blamed for Monique's injury), and watched as Shannon just shook her head no, as if she were trying to shake out the sights she had just seen.

The man saw to Monique, who hadn't cut herself too deeply, so he bandaged it. Monique told him that the lights went off and she tripped. Shannon said nothing. I said I didn't know what happened, just that the lights went off while I was going pee. I knew that I hadn't imagined it, because I could see in the other two's eyes that they knew exactly what happened.

Monique's parents were called, and they took her home. Shannon didn't speak to me for the rest of the night, and I just ended up trying to sleep. But I couldn't forget what I'd seen, it kept replaying every time I closed my eyes. Shannon went home the next day... And didn't come back to school.

When I asked about her, the teachers told me she was being home schooled, and wouldn't be back. One day while out shopping, I saw her parents, whom I knew, and when I approached them and said hello, they blanked me, and walked off. Monique never spoke about that night, and we drifted apart. I remember one day I tried to talk to her about it, and she told me I was crazy, and that I didn't know what I was talking about. She actually threatened to beat me up if I mentioned it again.

I'll never know what it was that she saw in that mirror, or be able to explain what I saw happen, when the physical evidence after the fact seemed to prove my observations false. I swear this is true, and even though I don't know if it was Bloody Mary, or just an evil presence who saw it's opportunity to strike at three innocent girls (which could very well be, as it was a Department of Defense school in the UK, and on a USAF base which used to belong to the RAF, and had played a pivotal role in WW2), I just wanted to share this experience...I'll never forget it.

Other hauntings by S_wolfmoon

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, S_wolfmoon, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Trilobiter (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-01)
this sounds like the movie mirrors doesn't it cause the way it involved the mirror and cutting ones self
Michiko_Da_Dante-Owner (2 stories) (22 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-05)
Wow, how absolutely frightening... I really do pity you, I know how much it sucks to be that young and have something as freaky like that happen to you.

I agree with zzsgranny. It was probably a poltergeist trying to get to you, especially since you had so much energy going. Not trying to be rude or anything, but I believe your friend sort of deserved it. As people say, what comes around goes around, and it came back fast. She went against you and your other friend's wishes and did it anyways, and I believe that might partially be why whatever attacked her attacked her.

I feel really bad that your other friend won't talk to you. I hope she will eventually talk to you again some day.

Best Wishes,
Michi~
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2010-11-14)
zocozo: If you don't care if you get hurt or die, obviously you're not old enough to be on this site... Try some kiddy site, I'm sure you can find your answers there ๐Ÿ˜
zocozo101 (2 posts)
-2
13 years ago (2010-11-14)
hi I'm zoey and I want to know how to do this I don't care if I get hurt or die, I just want to go this. Someone tell me what to do! ๐Ÿ˜
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
Also, how could Monique have a piece of the glass if the mirror was never broken?
Shinigami0 (2 stories) (203 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-24)
Hmm, to me, this raises red flags for this to be an actual "Bloody Mary", as I have went into the bathroom and have done the same thing to try and get her to appear. (It was a sleepover, but of course, nothing happened).
I'm sure there is truth behind the Bloody Mary urban legend, which is at times, the case with a lot of legends.
You're story is well written, but I'm a bit too skeptical of it to believe that it actually happened.
Have you looked at every logical possibility? You said the room returned to normal after your vision. Are you sure it wasn't a panic attack?
77believer (1 stories) (34 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-27)
I love this story, considering it's one of the only B Mary stories on here. ๐Ÿ˜ By what happened with your friend Monique, (the threatening) I'm guessing she saw something unimaginabley creepy. As for Shannon, I don't get why sheand her parents was mad at YOU. Or maybe it just reminded them of the experience she didn't want to think about.
77believer (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-10-14)
Omg I can't believe your newly homeschooled friend wouldn't talk to you. You'd think she wouldn't talk to your other friend since she was the one who did it. I hope she wasn't blaming you. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Anyway, I would say that what you experienced was 200% true! It's one of those things that can't be explained as anything else!
Christ_our_Lord (13 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-08-17)
w o w. I don't think I would ever be the same again lol. That must've been quite an experience...
Hammily (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-15)
Woah... I wonder what she saw that night in the mirror that could have made her change her mind to do home schooling than be in that school again? Hmm?๐Ÿ˜• by the way good story โค
littleartist (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-09)
yep, your old friends are deff. Avoiding the situation (including the one girls parents)! But can you blame them? Anyways, good story! I never was able to get myself to play that game, ha, and now I know I never will!
PAV1243 (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-01-06)
wow it was really brave for you to do this. I've only used an ouija board and nothing ever happened... Its only been 3 days since it did it though. But anyways this is an amaizing story. I'm happy you guys are all okay.:]

Stay safe โค
AshleyHalliwell (4 stories) (100 posts)
 
15 years ago (2008-12-26)
Wow, that is pretty scary. I'm not surprised that you and your friends drifted apart after that. I'm almost speechless, or typeless I suppose, and I'm so not going to lecture you about Bloody Mary, because you already know the consequences. I'm glad that you and your friends are OK.
HazzardSyndrome (guest)
 
16 years ago (2008-09-01)
shocking stuff,
It must have been a really tough and scary time,
Thanks for sharing, definatly one of my favs on this site. You seem very real and genuine about it
NELLY13 (6 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-08-16)
hi there I'm from nz I am 13 and live in wellington and wow! That was an incredible storey you must of been scared to the days!i;ve seen the movies and allabout bloody mary but never dared to even do that what brave one! โค
Fallen__Angel (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-22)
I love this story! ๐Ÿ˜ You were really brave. How long ago did this happen? I added you to my favorites ๐Ÿ˜Š
normajean (3 stories) (11 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-07-17)
That gave me goosebumps! And my radio started getting static-y but I'm sure that was bad reciption ๐Ÿ˜†
Thank you for sharing your story, my cousin tried to get me to do that bloody mary thing at a sleep over, I couldn't get myself to stand in the mirror in complete darkness awaiting something
You were so brave โค
colten (1 stories) (16 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-06-09)
that is one scary experience I for one wouldn't have even satyed in that bathroom "good luck" ๐Ÿ˜จ
kokumi (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Hello S_wolfmoon,

I'm not an expert on ghosts or paranormal phenomena, but I do think that you were one of the unlucky ones who got more than you wanted. Some people who do the same thing end up with nothing and I believe it's better that way. I hope you're doing well and God bless to you. ๐Ÿ˜Š
JennySmedley (4 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-22)
Hi
Having got Martin's permission I'd like to ask you to get in touch with me as I'd like to have your story published in a national magazine.
Please email me at author [at] globalnet.co.uk The same applies to anyone else who has a great story to tell!

Jenny
www.jennysmedley.com
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-11)
Dear S_wolfmoon,

It may have been a poltergeist you and your friends encountered and since, all of you were younger, your own emotional energies may have contributed to the heightened experience. It is also suspect what may have occurred outside of your view or vision, since you were also in the ladies stall or cubicle. Without your past classmates input about what they truly encountered while you were in the stall it does make it difficult to get the complete story and adds to the air of skepticism. By no means do I say this did not happen to you, and if it did, in my opinion you and anyone else should always stand behind and in their own truth despite what others might say, how they act, what they think and even if they try to discredit. I am certainly not without experiences in my life that others would find suspect or perhaps unbelievable, so I can empathize with those who have true experiences to relate. This is why I wish people would tell the truth about their paranormal and ghost experiences or any life experiences or beliefs, because when they do not and are found out, it makes it more difficult for others, especially skeptics to want to relate to their other true stories and experiences, as well as to other people with same or similar experiences who do tell the truth. Yet, this is also one way those who wish to control others or get attention react in order to get their points across and agendas met, as well as a way to spread disinformation and discredit truth. One only needs to look into human history to see how many times people tried to tell the truth and they were either ridiculed, ostracized, tortured or killed for their truth.

In my opinion, everyone has a story of truth to tell. There really is not one good reason not to tell your own truth. Lies are webs that may entrap others, but the biggest slave and prisoner to a lie is the one who tells it. Like the famous quote goes, "The truth will set you free..."

Thanks for sharing your story and responding to my comments and comments of others. I am sure you will find the answers. Blessings to you, Abby
ellycat (guest)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-11)
i know its most likely not bloody mary but in all the different versions I have heard you have to be alone for it to work
S_wolfmoon (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-11)
Abby,
I was in the toilet cubicle at the time the lights went out, and as Monique refused to ever speak of it, I'll never really know if it was her that turned off the lights, or if it was the "entity'. The more I think about it (I haven't really given it much thought in a long time, as it's something that I'd rather just forget all together), but knowing more about the paranormal now then when I was that age, I am convinced that it wasn't Bloody Mary at all. I'm in the process of trying to track down Monique and Shannon, and see if they might be more willing to speak of the incident now that we're all much older... Hopefully I can glean something from what happened that I might have mistaken, or get a different view point on what happened. Thanks for your comment Abby and Shane... So just to clarify, you both think it was like...what, a poltergiest? That would make a lot of sense ๐Ÿ˜• .
Abby (710 posts)
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-09)
Dear S wolfmoon,

I am familiar with the Bloody Mary stories in different versions, but have never heard of anyone actually having a related experience or one quite like you and your schoolmates.

I am pretty open to most paranormal experiences, but this one leaves me a bit skeptical. It doesn't mean that I don't respect you or your story as you told it, I just have a bit of a red flagging feeling coming up in my mind's eye.

As always, the main thing is that it is your experience and you know what happened and you always know your own truth.

It may have been a leftover ghost or entity from the past use of the building as you state. The entity was probably just having fun and was a bit over zealous.

The entities that could do what you said in your story and those I have encountered with that much strength generally do not need to actually switch off the light switch like a 3D physical human being. The lights go out like a power outage.

This is but my opinion, no reflection upon you, and I do appreciate you having the courage of your conviction and truth to present your story here with myself and others on this site.--Abby
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-08)
There are so many versions of the Bloody Mary tell no one knows for sure what is supposed to happen. I do believe that what you experienced was a lower level entity having its fun with three very impressionable young ladies. It sounds as if you learned a very valuable lesson that night. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
lallorona26_sm (5 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-08)
i love that story, but I'm surprised that bloody mary didn't scratch yoyr face off because that's what's suppose to happen, right?
S_wolfmoon (3 stories) (10 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-07)
Thank you for publishing this for me Martin, I saw on another page that you tended to avoid anything 'urban legendy'...but I'm still not overly convinced that it was Bloody Mary... Over the years I've kind of come to the assumption that it was a malevolent spirt, and that it jumped at the opportunity to make itself some mayhem... I mean, three young girls in a bathroom alone at night? 'Bloody Mary' was maybe just a catalyst for the encounter. Either way, the experience was terrifying... As I'm sure anyone could imagine. And yeah, Chunkygut, when the chaperone came in, and flipped on the lights, it was as if nothing had happened at all, everything went back to the way it was before the lights had gone off in the first place. ๐Ÿ˜จ
chunkygut1 (13 stories) (73 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-07)
wow!
freaky, so your saying when the lights came on the taps had stopped and the mirror wasn't broken, wierd.
but I do believe you. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ
Martin (602 posts) mod
 
17 years ago (2007-07-06)
I don't normally publish Bloody Mary stories, but S_wolfmoon seems very earnest and mature and her profile page shows her to be serious so... Enjoy... And try not to think about it tonight when you're going to sleep ๐Ÿ˜œ

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: