You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Dorm Room Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Dorm Room Ghost

 

It was my freshman year of college and I had been living in the dorms for a few months now. My dorm was set up as a suite: 3 bedrooms (2 girls per room), 1 bathroom, 1 living room. My roommate was no longer at college, so I had the bedroom to myself. One night, as I was falling asleep, I heard my roommate's empty bed start to squeak. At first I thought it was just the bed settling, as furniture has a tendency to do at night as the air cools. However, the squeaking got louder and louder and soon it sounded like the bed was actually shaking. It really freaked me out, but I just closed my eyes and made myself fall asleep.

When I woke up in the morning, I thought I must have imagined the previous night's occurences, so I just continued on with my day. But that night the bed started shaking again. The next morning I checked all around the bed to see if maybe it had been pushed up against the wall and it was just neighbors banging on their wall causing the bed to move, but the bed was a good 5 inches away from the wall on every side.

This shaking bed continued every night for at least a week, maybe even longer. Looking back on it now, I can't believe that I didn't do something about it sooner, I can't even believe that I was able to fall asleep each night with the amount the bed was shaking. Finally, one night when the bed was making noise I said outloud, "Please stop. Just please stop." It never happened again.

There was however, one more incident that occurred in my dorm, one that scared me even more than the bed. I was getting ready to go out one night, all of my suitemates were already out so I was the only one in our suite. I had just finished getting dressed and wanted to look at my outfit in the mirror, so I went into one of my suitemate's rooms- their room was the only one with a full length mirror. I walked into the dark room, and flipped the light switch but the light didn't come on. I started to walk across the room to the lamp sitting on the desk when all of a sudden I heard a loud, urgent whisper come from the closet saying, "Michael!"

I ran out of that room as fast as a could and didn't stop until I had made it safely to my friend's house. I ran over all the possibilities in my head, but nothing made sense. I was sure it was a whisper in that room, and not just a muffled shout from a neighbor. I am 100% positive that I was the only one in my suite that night. I tried to do some research to see if there were any reports of anyone dying in my dorms, but I didn't come up with anything.

I've always "believed" in ghosts, but have never had any type of remarkable experiences apart from these. I still get goosebumps thinking about that whisper coming from the closet.

Other hauntings by CaliforniaSpooks

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CaliforniaSpooks, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
Look at one of the posts - Neighbour with a Grudge - it is not necessary that someone had to die there for a place to be haunted. Sometimes bad things follow someone (this can be anyone) And then they connect themselves wherever they go.
mysterPOO (63 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
Wow I think you really had a hard time staying in your'haunted dorm'.well,my comments had been addressed already. Why don;t you find out with your former room mate if she also has gone through all that you have experienced!Anyway,hope you are able to solve this mysterious, creepy prob. All the best. Do post your story more... Thnk you... 😊
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-24)
Hi CaliforniaSpooks,

It sounds like someone was there with you. I wonder if you ever dared to look down while the shaking of the beds started? It's nice to know this stopped after you asked it to which shows, in my opinion, you were not dealing with a bad spirit. Just a ghost liking it very much pranking the living around I guess. I have heard voices saying stuff many times while not a person was in sight...
Thank you for posting!
Greetings:
Peter
CaliforniaSpooks (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-23)
Our dorm was mixed- boys and girls, but our suite was just girls. And our dorms were relatively newly built, I think they had only been around for 10-15 years or so.
Unfortunately I'm not still in contact with any of my suitemates. I do remember telling some of them what happened, but I don't think any of them thought much of it besides saying it was creepy. When I told my ex roommate she said that sometimes she saw shadows out of the corner of her eye, but when she turned there wouldn't be anything there.
I've tried to do some research, but I've had no luck coming up with anything. If anyone's interested the building is the Cuarto-Emerson dorm at UC Davis.
xXelliemayXx (10 stories) (164 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-23)
I would talk to your dorm mate if your still in touch with them, Maybe the girl who stayed in the room with the wispers in them. You might have a few stories for eachother!

Thanks for sharing,
x XelliemayXx ❤
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-23)
Have you experienced anything after your stay in the dorm? You say it was a girl dorm. Who ever Michael was, it would have to be a boy. Was it a boy dorm that was later changed into a girl one?
Perhaps the place had another name before it was changed. Can't you do a bit more investigation?
What happened to you ex room mate? Can't you find out if she experienced strange happenings when she lived there? It is so interesting!
Sir-Boy (1 stories) (15 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
You know, so many people come through dorms... So many different energies. There are so many possiblities here. The whispering could have been residual energy. I wouldn't quite dismis it yet... Be cautious. But don't assume the worst right away.
sunset_savage (17 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
Someone wouldn't necessarily have to die in the dorm for there to be a hauntings. Ghosts attach to things as well as buildings. Maybe the dorm itself isn't haunted, but something in the dorm is. At least whatever it is doesn't sound malicious, just mischievous.
soup (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-21)
try to get some one to find out wats goin on and if you can't try to get a different dorm

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: