You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Walmart Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

The Walmart Ghost

 

I'm going to start off my story with this: the very LAST place I expected to see anything paranormal was in a public corporate store. Up until this point, I had only ever caught vague glimpses... Never enough to warrant a story to. I think perhaps the most intriguing was the time I stepped into a giant ghostly, bearded face in the dead of night as I progressed through the living room to the kitchen. Needless to say I had gotten exceedingly creeped out... But you were here to read about a Wal-Mart ghost!

Now, I actually live in Oregon, and not Arkansas, which is where this all took place. I was only in Arkansas because I could not, would not, absolutely refused to watch my boyfriend walk away from me, get on that plane, and leave to his home for another full year. Our relationship was first lit up over the internet in the game World of Warcraft, but he lived seven states away, making things difficult. Finally, after four years... He visited. And left. This last year, he visited again. I went back home with him, even taking a term off of school in order to be with him. I could only stay for three months, however, so I made it my goal to get a job as quickly as I could and get as much money as I could to bring us back home. I had to deal with my school in the same time, letting them know I WAS going to come back. I had never been that far away from home before; I was close to having a nervous breakdown with all the problems that kept coming up. This is where Wal-Mart comes in to play.

I wasn't working there for long. It took me a while to get a job, and I was trying to avoid Wal-Mart... Because everyone in Oregon really hates that store. It's a local-store killer. I'd gotten a temporary job, just to remodel the store. You know... Cleaning up the mess all the REAL employees had made of their building... And even getting paid more than the actual employees! I won't get into detail, stories about work and all aren't that interesting. But what WAS interesting was when I experienced something very odd and unusual one day while working there.

It started off in the morning. I'd be re-organizing things on the shelves, ripping off labels to replace them with updated versions, and polishing up the shelves when I'd catch sight of movement in my periphery vision. I'd look sharply around... And no one would be there. Shrugging, I figured it was my imagination. After all, my imagination had often carried itself away at times. But I kept catching glimpses, more and more, always in the corners of my eyes. I couldn't help but look. It was like a nervous twitch. Completely automatic. Only after I had turned my head did I realize I shouldn't have. I wanted to just try and see if I couldn't 'watch' from the corners of my eyes, and study this apparition that way.

Over time, however, I decided what I kept seeing was a woman in a bright orange shirt and long, brown, curly hair. She was always facing away from me. I don't recall seeing legs, really. There may have been, I think there was a faint gray smudge beneath that orange shirt, but it wasn't the focus of my attention. I started to prowl the aisles once I had run out of things to do, looking for anyone in an orange shirt, but I was the only person there. I got startled when my supervisor rounded the corner and announced it was time for lunch.

I headed outside to enjoy some chicken, thinking on what I had witnessed. None of my supervisors were wearing orange shirts, nor had I seen any customers wearing one. While out here, enjoying a meal, I didn't see any more of those periphery vision creepers. I figured maybe I had just been hungry, or the cleaning chemicals had killed a few brain cells.

When I got back to work, I was due to organize womans' stockings and underwear on the shelves. Once again, I was working here alone, and spending much of my time just replacing tags. I started to glimpse Mrs. Orange-Shirt again. This time, however, she was always off to my left, next to this row of shelving that contained nylon leggings in small packages. Twice, even, I caught a glimpse of the orange shirt and a white one, but every time I looked over, no one was there.

Finally, fed up with it, I got up and moved over. I observed the shelves. Maybe someone was trying to tell me something? The shelf looked fine. So I knelt down and began to clean off the dusty frameworks. Only then did I see a crumpled paper underneath the shelf. Confused, I reached to pick it up. The instant I touched it, I realized it was tissue paper. Considering the department I was working in, there was absolutely no kind of paper of that quality around that general area, or even in the sections of the store around me.

So as I stood up, with a considerable amount of trepidation, looking around in bemusement... I pulled open that crumpled piece of paper. And I felt an odd chill to see what was written across it, line after line in cursive, repeating exactly one phrase:

"A day lived without laughter is a day lost."

I never saw Mrs. Orange Shirt or her counterpart with the white T-shirt after that. I knew the white shirt was male, somehow. I didn't spend much time looking for them at that point, for I felt somewhere in my subconsciousness that they had relayed their intended message to me. It made me realize I had been stressing too much about bringing my boyfriend back home with me, and I slowly started to relax over the coming days.

I am now back home, with my boyfriend, and I could not be happier. I still don't know who visited me, but I believe the woman might have been family at one point... For I also have curly brown hair, much like her's had been.

Other hauntings by Kryodrache

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Kryodrache, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Runswithlydia (1 stories) (27 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-20)
I really enjoyed this story, the comedic aspect as well as the happy ending. I have had these peripheral visions before but didn't really have a reference point for the experience. And oh, you are not crazy, you are chosen.
Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-30)
[at] MorganPaige

Well, truth be told, there are a whooole lot of Wal-marts in Arkansas. I was working in a pretty big one around Little Rock, to the north. I found it odd how whenever I saw the entity, there was no one directly nearby me. In fact, through the whole day, I felt rather isolated, as I wasn't working with anyone else. No one else commented on seeing an entity, either, but... Of course... Who -would?-
MorganPaige (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-21)
Which wal mart was this at exactly? Because I have had some experiences at wal mart before, though none involved an orange shirt.
Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
I will definitely try to watch from the corner of my eye again if I ever see something like that a second time. I bet it would be odd, to see someone just stop and stare at nothing for a while... But, I'm a weird person, I could pull it off and no one would think I'm crazy.

...Well. Any more crazy than I already am, anyway.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-29)
Kryodrache,
That urge to turn and look is so hard to fight. It took a long time for me to get the hang of just focusing on my peripheral vision area without turning to look directly at what I was catching there. I've only been able to catch sight of my dogs that have passed, and mostly just one of them really. The other one I'm still up in the air about if I actually accomplished it or not, it was too hazy to tell you the truth. I'd love to be able to catch a human spirit that way, but I have none hanging out at my house, and the concentration it takes to just see my dog would probably make me stand out too much in public. Try to explain to a casual observer why you are frozen in place, looking spaced out, not looking forward, but not exactly looking off to the side. Just standing stock still. I can hear my kids now.
"Had to pick mom up at the Wal Mart, she was acting weird and they were afraid to let her drive off on her own"
I would never hear the end of it!😆
Great experience you shared here, and as you can tell already, I know how you feel. But that you got an actual message is what is really impressive, in my opinion. Someone's looking out for you, that's a given. And your thought that it may be a relative is probably spot on as well. Glad to hear that all is well in your love life, and thank you for sharing this experience with us. This is going to my favorites, it's one I'll treasure for the fact that someone else thought of and at least tried one of what I like to call my "Running with scissors" theories, especially because you came up with it on your own. Thanks to zzgranny for mentioning it too. 😊

Jav ❤
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
It's not much you read about a ghost that gives someone good advice on this site. Quite a freaky experience, but one with good intentions. Glad you and your boyfriend are together now, and that you are happy.
Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
Those are both interesting stories. I guess it never occurred to me that public places like big corporate stores could see paranormal activity like that. After reading a bunch of stuff on this site, I'm very glad this was my first real encounter with a ghost besides just a flash of something, rather than with something more hostile!
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
great post thanks for sharing and welcome to ygs 😁
Love the quote, and sounds like it has worked too,
I hope you thanked the spirit for passing it onto you.
Carl
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
Kyrodrache - I saw granny's mention of the orange t-shirt story and the link (my story LOL...thanks, granny 😉) and thought I'd check out what was up.

I honestly enjoyed your story. Sometimes "our" ghosts, whether we share the same living space or not, can get the message across loud and clear. Maybe when a living, breathing person couldn't have, huh? Seems she was determined to make sure you got her message.

My opinion? Not that you asked, but I'm going to share it anyway 😆. I'm just like that LOL. I think public places, like Walmart, are riddled with ghosts. Even though I've never had the opportunity to meet one there, I believe they're there.

Great story and I'm glad you took her message to heart and are happy.

Before I forget, here's the link to the cheese story granny mentioned: http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=8077
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
Kryodrache: Wow, pretty cool, huh?...That's a great quote, and one we should all consider 😊...One of our vet posters, Javelina, suggests the "don't look directly at 'em" method as well... I have yet to maintain the where-with-all necessary to achieve that goal LOL 😆...I was trying to find similar stories that you may be interested in, one about a block of cheese that flew off the shelf; I can't locate that one (maybe one of our other posters remember it), but I was struck by your mention of an orange t-shirt, so I'll leave you with this link:

Http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=9109

Thank you for posting, I enjoyed reading your story... And welcome to YGS!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: