You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: Granny's Rose

Real Ghost Stories

Granny's Rose

 

In 2001, my little cousin, Kayla, was three years old. She was not told when our great grandmother, whom she had not seen since she was an infant, passed away. Kayla was not informed about, nor was she present at the funeral. She's always had something strange about her... I'm not sure how else to describe it, but she's always seemed very wise beyond her years. She remembers things that you wouldn't expect her to remember, and she seems to understand things, very deeply, that you wouldn't expect her to.

After Kayla's mother had returned home from the funeral, she sat on the couch, looking at a rose. She had taken this rose from off the casket at the funeral, as a way to remember her grandmother. Kayla walked into the room, and asked her mother for the rose.

"No," she answered, "This is Mommy's rose..."

"But Granny said I could have it," Kayla argued.

Kayla's mother and my own mother are sisters, and their mother, who we both address as, "Granny," is very close with us. She still baby sits Kayla almost every weekday after school. So, of course, my aunt made the assumption that Kayla was talking about her.

"When did you talk to Granny?"

Kayla very firmly corrected her mother. "Not MY Granny. YOUR Granny..."

This pretty much freaked my aunt out. She was shaken enough to hand Kayla the rose.

I've noticed that many of the stories on this site happen to people when they are very young, or they happen to the elderly, when they are very close to death.

Does a closeness to birth or death really allow a person a stronger ability to see the other realm? Or are children just impressionable, so they believe anything they think they see? I would imagine this is true in some cases, but at the same time, how would Kayla have known that the rose her mother held belonged to her great grandmother?

Other hauntings by Unicorn

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Unicorn, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kokumi (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-02-08)
Hello Unicorn,

I'm not sure how to say this but here goes. I think it might be because children (and newly borns) have yet to recognize that they have souls and that their souls are "fresh" from the spirit world. Thus, their supposed "link" to the spirit world is stronger than those who are more attached to the world (teenagers, adults and such). It's opposite of old people (or people near death), since it's like their soul is about to cross to the spirit world, they have established a stronger link to the other side. Of course, people with special abilities are an exception to this.

Yes, this sounds really far-fetched and you'll think I'm crazy. I have no basis for my explanation, just some trivial opinion I've sprouted. Have a nice day! 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-10-04)
I don't think I could add anything that hasn't already been posted.

I would like to state, there are those adults who have opened their minds enough to realize that not always what you se is what you get. There are entire other realms and possibilities out there.

God Bless!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-09)
Didn't you know? I am a certified looney and a big time fake also. 😜 Hope you know I am just joking.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-09)
Dear Shane,

Only joking now, but ah, well, I must be fake and mentally ill then?--Abby 😉
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-09)
Unicorn as children especially young children the mind hasn't been polluted by the judgements of society as to what is real and what isn't. As we age we tend to take those judgements as reality and the rest as fiction. We are taught ghost aren't real and that atoms are, yet most people can't see either. Some will argue that atoms are real because science has proven them real. But with all the worlds experiences with ghost no one has proven their existence. Millions have had some type of paranormal experience yet science tells them that what they experienced wasn't real. Why? Because if they were proven as real events and experiences then science would have been proven wrong and you know they can't let that happen. When we are close to death we begin to lose those perceptions and once again take on the mind set of a child where anything is possible and probable. Some people just never lose those ablities and science calls them fakes or mentally ill.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
Abby (710 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-09)
Dear Unicorn,

Kayla being young was more open to having her, would that be great-great grandmother manifest and come to her in spirit and tell her she could have the rose. (Wow, great-great granny must have had children quite young to be a great-great to Kayla.)

It is not surprising that later as children grow older they do not recall or have such experiences anymore. It is not that they are not being bombarded by incoming information and experiences, it is that as human beings it is bred out of us by the indoctrination of societal rules and regulations and its various belief systems. It does not mean a human being has to forget completely, some remember and are always sensitive from childhood to death, while others forget a little and recall a little, and many others just forget or choose to deny or forget completely. Some awaken and are aware at their closeness of their time of death, because basically they have no other chains to bind them. Other times it takes a big, tragic bonk on the head for human beings to remember and they will either choose to remember or not. If a parent wishes their child to maintain their childlike self and their senses, they need to nurture them, as any parent would with any other one or more senses, nurture with love, listening and encouragement and less judgment and ridicule.

The five senses, the sixth sense, and the seventh sense, common sense never leave human beings, it is the human being who denies their senses in one way or another. The communications are always coming and going, it is up to the human being to choose what to let in and what to filter out, deny, not allow or to even forget completely.--Abby
Unicorn (2 stories) (12 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-08)
Enchantee~

The great granny I'm talking about is my mother's paternal grandmother, who lived in a different state. My mom's parents were divorced when she was young, and her father didn't have much to do with rearing her. I'm afraid, he might have been part of the reason they didn't take Kayla up to Georgia very often. He passed away about a year ago, due to poor health.

Our Great Granny couldn't really travel to see us, because of her age. I believe she was either in her late 80's or early 90's when she passed.

As for asking Kayla about how she knew whose rose it was, I'm not even sure she'd still remember... That was 6 years ago, which is a pretty large fraction of her life. It might be interesting to ask her anyway, though.
Martin (602 posts) mod
+1
17 years ago (2007-07-06)
Hi Unicorn, yes people on the edge of birth or death are closer to the spirit realms because their egos and minds are not completely absorbed in the world affairs as much as people in between this age bracket.

You normally are more open as a child and you undo a lot of the world close-mindness to these phenomenons when you contemplate your own death to come.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: