You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Hooded Shadow Figure

Real Ghost Stories

The Hooded Shadow Figure

 

I grew up with my Grandmother and Mother in a little blue house right near the ocean. While I was growing up we had a neighbor named Ray. Ray was a really nice and generous guy who helped us in many ways, like caring for a baby kitten we had taken in and could not care for because of my Grandmother's allergies.

Ray passed away leaving his house to his sister, who then sold it to my Mother and I. The first night I slept in the house I got a feeling that someone was there watching me. About two months after me and my Mother moved in the feelings of someone there faded away like everything that bothered me usually did.

One night I was getting ready for bed, I had just turned the light off and closed my eyes when I got a feeling of urgency, like someone or something wanted to get my attention. I opened my eyes and across from my desk in the corner was a hooded figure, a shadow more or less. The figure scared me pretty well I closed my eyes and when I opened them the figure was gone. I slept on the couch that night. The figure showed up about three more times after that night in the same spot and just as fast as it came it was gone.

It's been about two years since we moved in and I haven't seen the hooded figure anywhere. I talked to my Mom about it and she blew it off said it was just a coat like every mother says to make her child feel safe in the night, but I know it wasn't a coat. Someone or something was in that room with me. I believe that the spirit was my old neighbor Ray checking up on the house and what changes we've made to it, but I can't be sure. I'm hoping it is my old kind neighbor Ray and not an evil spirit, the spirit hasn't hurt me or my family in any way, but when it wants to it makes its presence known.

This is one of a few spirits that I have seen in my life and I got a feeling it's not the last I will see.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sord0111, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

creepydog (3 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Oh well I don't think he will hurt you! Try to keep calm. And also keep prowling around for a logical explanation. There is bound to be one somewhere. Once you find it you will feel heaps better. 😆
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
Cynnae, why haven't you published your story yet, we would love to hear it.
Thank you for the quick reply Sord, I'm sure there is nothing to be afraid of here.
Siri (18 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
I'm curious; in the initial encounter with this hooded figure, you mentioned feeling a sense of urgency. Did you happen to feel the same way during every sighting?
Also, just because a hood was not a signature piece of Ray's wardrobe does not mean he 'never wore one in life.' We don't wear the same thing, all the time...we're not cartoon characters. I don't believe that what he wore in life would have much bearing on what he might appear in after death... There are many stories that say entities have changed their clothing on different sightings.
Very interesting story, thanks for sharing. 😁
Cynnae (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
Your story hit close to home. When my Great, great Grandmother died she left us the house, and we soon started making small rennovations. For about 4 months, weird stuff would happen, like when we made our beds and walked out of the room the sheets would be folded back to the base of our bed. Or seeing my Great, great grandfather trying to straighten portraits and pictures that ran down the walls of our hallways (they would end up crooked), and we also used to have them standing in our bedrooms of a night. There is a theory I've heard, that spirits can be 'stirred up' by making renovations to their old houses, but its usually just to check on the place.:)
sord0111 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
Anneke8 in answer to your question yes he passed away in the living room, which is right under my room. To snowhites comment he did not wear a hood. Thank you everyone for your comments, I hope to get more insight on these shadow figures. The thought of Ray looking over the house is great, But finding out it might be another spirit makes me want to find out more information on my houses history, it was built in the early 1900s and was never changed until recently so who knows all the spirits my family could of made restless.
snowhite (203 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
If it was just a black shadow, then it might be your neighbor. A hooded shadow, that is another story. If your neighbor didn't wear a hood when he was alive, then he won't wear one after he died. It got be something else. Sorry not to mean to scare you.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
As long as this figure just stands there, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
The hooded shadow figure is something regularly seen by people, but opinions vary on their intent. Some believe they are malevolent, though I wonder if that is just because people fear dark things. Others believe they are guardians. And still others that they are neutral "watchers" who observe but do not harm or help. There is also a difference of opinion on whether they are the spirits of formerly living people or some other kind of supernatural entity. Like with people, I think we can best judge them by their actions. As this thing has not hurt or threatened you, & may have stopped appearing because it figured out it was only scaring you, I would cautiously assume it meant no harm. If you want to feel sure it won't come back there are many folk remedies that have kept ghosts out of homes for centuries (maybe longer). If you wish to act on the possibility that it might be Ray, you could address that first. Perhaps simply taking flowers to his grave or placing a small token from the house in a place he would find significant while saying, out loud, that you & your mother appreciate the beautiful home he maintained & that you will care for it now so he need not worry about that & can move on to the next life. Or whatever makes the most sense to you.
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
It's a nice thought that it could be Ray that came to have a look at his old house. Did he die inside the house? Perhaps on that spot the figure appeared? Just curious. Even though you can't see him, doesn't mean he's not there anymore. Perhaps he realy guards over you. I have read a lot and heard people say that even people who passed away, can come and visit you sometimes. Actualy a very comforting thought.
evilmonster (11 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-25)
It would be great to have someone or something guarding you and looking out for you, but that isn't always the case. Not trying to scare you or anything, but just be cautious of other worldly visitors. "Things aren't what they seem" many times.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: