You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Tours & Haunted Hotels :: Hotel Del Coronado

Real Ghost Stories

Hotel Del Coronado

 

So of course, as soon as I post my first and only experience with the paranormal, I have another encounter... I went and stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego this past weekend with my family. This hotel is famous for hauntings, especially from the ghost of a lady named Kate Morgan. My family and I decided we would go on a "ghost hunt" around the hotel; they don't really believe in that kind of stuff but they thought it would be a fun adventure. We walked around the hotel that night, and although it was creepy, nothing out of the ordinary happened.

We went back to our room to go to bed. Now, I have to sleep with earplugs when I go on vacation with my family because my mom, dad, and sister all snore. So I put my earplugs in and fell asleep. I woke up sometime during the middle of the night and noticed my earplugs had fallen out- not surprising as I'm a restless sleeper. My family was still snoring so I felt around in my bed for my earplugs but I couldn't find them. I sat in bed for about 10 minutes trying to find them, I shook out my blanket, I turned on my phone to use the light to try to see them, I looked on the floor, but no luck. I got out of bed to use the bathroom before trying to fall back asleep, and when I returned from the bathroom my earplugs were sitting neatly on my pillow. I was very shocked and a little bit scared considering the hotel's history, but mostly I was happy to have my earplugs back.

The next night the same thing happened. I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't find my earplugs, so I figured I'd try going to the bathroom again just to see what would happen. Sure enough, when I returned to my bed my earplugs were once again sitting on my pillow. I smiled and whispered, "Thank you," to whichever kind spirit had helped me out.

I'm sure this could all just be coincidence, but I really had looked all over for my earplugs both times, and both times they ended up just sitting on my pillow, so I like to think I came across a helpful ghost!

Other hauntings by CaliforniaSpooks

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from California

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CaliforniaSpooks, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-31)
Remember that Steve Martin movie, "Blue Heaven"? The scene where they're on the beach dancing? That was filmed right there. They still use those same type umbrellas at the tables too. I have pics of my niece getting married right there, it was absolutely beautiful. The most perfect day. What a view!

Jav ❤
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-30)
Hi California Spooks, This is a very cool story. I enjoy hearing about the nice ghosties who are helpful when we lose things. Did you tell your story to the hotel manager or concierge to see if anybody else experienced something similar in that room?
Thanks for sharing your experience. 😁
CaliforniaSpooks (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-30)
Hi Jav,
Yes, we were on the same floor as the haunted room, although our room was on the other side of the hotel. That's so neat that the kids got to go inside! We walked past the room but it was occupied. Apparently there is an almost year-long waiting list to stay in Kate Morgan's room.
raccoonbonapart (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
aya22, I had that song in my head reading this too!

I really like this story. It's nice and simple and not over-the-top.
mysterPOO (63 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
NICE STORY! Perhaps the ghost or whatever it was is really in a playful mood. It was really overwhelming to know that there are also good spirits like you had encountered.Well,looking forward from you,CaliforniaSpooks!THNKS FOR SHARING YOUR WONDERFUL STORY... 😁
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
CaliforniaSpooks,
This is a very famous haunted hotel. One of my nieces was married there back in the 1990s. We let the kids go on the tour of the haunted room as there was no one occupying it at that time. They came back thoroughly spooked over it. Interesting experience, were you on the same floor as the haunted room by chance?

Jav
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
I don't think it is a coincidence. Was there any other incident. Well, I thought the ghost was in playful mood.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
CaliforniaSpooks,

Not that I think this is not a true experience but if it was a 'prank' by a family memeber then all they had to do was 'play possium' while you searched for your earplugs... Once you went to the bathroom it was easy to set them on your pillow as they didn't have to search for them... Just a thought...

Respectfully,

Rook
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
This story made me smile. A playful spirit perhaps. You just never know.
aya22 (guest)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
"Welcome to the Hotel California..."

Sorry, but right now I have that song ringing through my ears. 😉😆

I had similar experiences at a house. Whatever it was would take something of mine and hide it for a while... I grew so used to it that, like you, I'd do something to distract myself until the item was returned.

Maybe it was playing the same trick. Still nice of it to return them, I guess.
CaliforniaSpooks (2 stories) (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
No, the most famous ghost at the Hotel - Kate Morgan - was a guest who died at the hotel in the late 1800s. However, there are reports of various other ghosts and spirits at Hotel Del.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
Just out of curiosity, is the hotel's famous ghost a former housekeeper?
LeFemmeFetale (3 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
How interesting, certainly a nice gesture. However, could "she" have been the one to initially pop them out of your ears? Just a thought. 😜
CaliforniaSpooks (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
Davidpsalm- The reason I don't think it was my family is because a) they were all asleep, and b) I had searched all over for my earplugs and couldn't find them, so how would they have found them so quickly in just the time it took me to go to the bathroom?
Davidpsalm234 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
I reckon that one of your family members played a joke out of an opportunity in that hotel... Sorry just a little thought LOL
calvert (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
yeah very real what a helpful ghost. Maybe she needed help an neva got it in the life before an now she trying to help people even with little things like that. 😁
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-26)
No coincedence I think... 😊
Very nice to help you look for your earplugs.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: