You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Creepy Jewelry Box Music

Real Ghost Stories

Creepy Jewelry Box Music

 

Yesterday, my mother went to the hospital because she has had complications from a surgery she had. I was upset about it and looked at a photograph of my parents after I got off the phone with my family. My father passed away several years ago. As I looked at the photo I thought... I hope he is with her. I believe spirits have the ability to protect the living and since I wasn't at the hospital (I live out of state) I had hoped that in some small way he could give her comfort.

The day progressed into night. The clock read 3:30 am. My apartment was quiet. The tv was on mute. All of a sudden, my fiance and I were woken up by music. It sounded like creepy jewelry box music. I do not own a jewelry box that plays music. However, I felt better that my fiance also heard the music. It gave me a stronger sense of validity.

I'm not the only one in my family that has had experiences with ghosts and music. The last time my mom went to the hospital another family had an experience with music. My aunt was up one night and she heard a noise coming from her daughter's room. She walked into the room. A toy was playing Somewhere Over The Rainbow. This is the same song they played at my father's funeral. Very creepy if you ask me.

The only reason I am sharing this story is because I have a number of questions and I am hoping that someone out there can answer them.

First, is it common for spirits to use music to communicate? And if so, why music? Why wouldn't a spirit just talk or appear?

Second, how do I know if this spirit is really my father? I majored in Religious Studies so my first thought is... Could this spirit be demonic and playing off of my family's concern for my mother?

Any advice would sincerely be appreciated. I just want to get a clear sense of what is going on.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ashley1985, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

daisy12 (10 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-05-04)
Music is a easier way to communicate or give message. I heard many cases before that when a music loving person dies an unnatural death he tries to give message to his loved ones through music. I'm not sure if he was your father. It is very difficult to guess.
Ashley1985 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-29)
at raccoonbonapart--Thank you for the comment. I didn't not recognize the song I heard. I wish I knew what the song was... The song my aunt heard was the one we played at my dad's funeral.

[at] everyone: Thanks for the comments! It means a lot to me to hear your responses. In terms of this discussion about ghosts and demons, my impression is that we must always have a raised sense of awareness or be on guard because there is so much we don't know about the spiritual world. I felt compelled to reach out and hear what others thought because I believe that a group of people who are open to discussion about ghosts can provide more information.
raccoonbonapart (1 stories) (21 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
Did you recognize the song that was playing, Ashley1985? Maybe your family has a guardian of some sort that plays music for you when you need comfort.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
quixoticqt,

I've seen that show... Please come on over to the thread I replied to Nysa's question on (it's one of my experiences) and perhaps we will be allowed to continue this conversation...

Respectfully,

Rook
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
I apologize, I feel like I steered the conversation further off course here. The idea that the theory that all supposed spirits have to be demons is bibically supported has been suggested before & seems relevant since this poster specifically asked about the possibility of demons. I am not sure if she meant the demons of Christian mythology though. But I was just curious about what the majority opinion in the Christian culture is & how theologians have supported or argued against the theory.
quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
Being a christian I watched a history show and it stated that Jesus' body was secretly taken to a place so that they could place his bones in a box. They found the box and it was "Jesus, son of Joseph" in the tomb there was also mary's box. The history person said it was most likely that it was actually Jesus' body secretly hidden. That bein said I do believe that Jesus when he was showin himself to the deciples he was in the form of a spirit.
Everyone has to remember that the bible has been messed with and the truth distorted. The first bible could have said that it was Jesus' spirit shown to the diciples and the romans misinterpreted the message. The bible is kind of like the telephone game... If a person wishes to know the truth they would have to get it from God or inner truth?
I thanked God that Jesus went up as a spirit because I think that a persons soul/spirit is much more beautiful then the human physical body depending on who's spirit/soul dwells within...

❤ Qt
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
Hey Rook doesn't the story say that Jesus came back in his body? If I have that right than what dmcal said about spirits would not apply right? Please understand all I am not arguing for what dmcal said, I think that explanation is the least likely of all the possibilities that people put forward about ghosts & the like. But this is a point I would like to understand.

To stray a little off topic here... After the Resurrection I understand that it is said that Jesus ascended into heaven, is that understood to be bodily as well?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
dmcal,

So by your Logic when Christ visited the Disciples after his Death (The Resurrection) it really wasn't him but a demonic being. Then of course you must feel that all of his teachings are therefore Demonic and all Christians have been mislead by the teaching of this Demon that called itself Christ.

Please correct me if I misunderstand what you are trying to say.

Respectfully,

Rook
Kryodrache (3 stories) (108 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
[at] dmcal

So, my Christian grandmother is a demon spirit, now?

I've never challenged anyone else's faith or tried to change their religion, but you're getting pretty close to preaching here, right now.
libbybubble99 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
it might have been the toy BUT I've experienced this before as my grandma died and my 9 year old swore she could see her singing on her bed... 😲
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
Ashley1985,
I also agree with the others about the music. I have also experienced a similar thing myself. But in my case, my sister had passed and it was her way of saying goodbye to us. It was quite touching, and I'll never forget it.
Thank you for sharing.

Jav ❤
Ashley1985 (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-28)
Thanks for all the messages everyone! I appreciate your comments.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Creepydog I don't think she heard the toy at her aunts house while she was in her own home. While I agree a "normal" source is completely possible, I thought of a cell phone ringtone that someone outside could have going off. But it is not at all clear & the toy cannot explain Ashley1985's experience.

Something Argette said got me thinking. Perhaps a spirit has to travel to this world to be seen & heard, but can send subtle messages from "where"ever else souls may be in the afterlife.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
I have heard so many odd noises in so many places, I think anything is possible.
alejandrobar (1 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
i guess this was just a ghost trying to make contact you never know he or she could be nice there's always a ghost who just wants to be heard so it will do anything to be heard
creepydog (3 stories) (71 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Let me make this clear to you. It was not a spirit. It was the toy. You obviously need to change the batteries. Not to be mean or anything but it would have been the toy. ❤
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
I don't have an explanation, but I believe perhaps strong thoughts reaching across miles or even the afterlife could trigger music.

I spent a morning watching a healer who could speak to the departed pull amazing things out of time and space. I doubted her until she got to me and "spoke" to my father (or my father spoke through her). So I believe anything is possible now.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Something else for you to think about is the possibility it was not your father but your mother. I believe that when people are thinking about us they can unconsciously send us messages. I have heard of people hearing significant sounds or tunes, & others smelling a significant sent when a loved one was feeling great concern for them or especially missing them. Humans are extremely symbolic creatures & a lot of our memories are based around senses other than sight. A phantom sound is hard to be sure of, but by itself I would take it as a sign that your family is closely connected through love. I don't think you have anything to fear at this point.
unknown_madness (8 stories) (36 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
i agree with mykah. Music is a common way of communication. Some spirits may not have the ability to communicate in a physical way so music, sometimes a song that they can relate to plays. Just like what you said about the piece that was played at your father's funeral. I am sorry to hear about your mother and hope she gets better soon. Peace be with you.
Mykah (1 stories) (12 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Music is pretty common, actually.
I would figure the reason why they'd use music instead of just talking to you is because talking and appearing takes an enormous amount of energy, and they might not be so strong.
Music is easier to communicate through.

Like rath9375 said, I'd ask from some other sign of confirmation that it is indeed your dad, and on some level you have to trust that it is, if the appropriate signs are given.

You can never know for sure if an initial contact is what it seems to be, so this requires a certain amount of belief and trust from your side.

I doubt a malevolent spirit would communicate to you through jewelry box music, unless it's very cunning and has some serious agenda against you. So it's unlikely.

Hope you mom feels better soon!
rath9375 (1 stories) (52 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-01-27)
Spirits can use many things to communicate. I believe it all depens on who or what the spirit is and who is receiving the message. Music is a very common form of communication even in the living world. Music is a universal language. You can ask your father to give you a better sign that it is him. Ask for something only you and he woud know about.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: