You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghost Asking For Cigarettes

Real Ghost Stories

Ghost Asking For Cigarettes

 

The incident I am going to share here is my true personal experience which happened to me long time back. I came across this site few days back and thought to share it with other people who had similar experiences. So it goes like this:

I had just joined the State Government Service and was posted in Mandala district of Madhya Pradesh (a state in central India and is famous for dense forests and wild animals). Now that district comes under Chattisgarh. The area I was posted in, was full of forests nearby and was in very much outskirts of the main city and as I was new in the service, I had to follow the orders from office blindly without any argue. So I had no choice for my posting as well. Moreover, I was a bachelor, so the place made a little difference to my lifestyle.

The area was full of forest vegetation and there were very less number of people living in the locality. Also that place was very much infamous for a number of ghostly happenings, specially the area nearby a small bridge which happened to be located on the shortcut path between my residence and office. The local people used to avoid that way as they believed that the bridge area was badly haunted. As my residence was a bit far from my reporting office and it took quite a good time to reach there by main road, so I generally took that shortcut to save my time despite people forbidding it all the time. One more reason to take that way was I traveled during day time, which was supposed to be a safe time.

But it happened one late night when I got an urgent call from my senior officer and he ordered to come to office as soon as possible.

I again had no choice but to follow the order and go to office at that graveyard time, so I left at the earliest. As I was in hurry, I chose the shortcut way to go. After some time of walking when I was almost on bridge, I heard someone calling my name "Harsh" from back.

In India, our elders have always forbidden us to look back at night when some unknown voice calls you from behind as they believe here that it must be some ghostly thing. Well that all depends on your belief in these things. And at that time I had nothing on mind other that reaching office as early as possible. So I didn't think of it much and looked back suddenly. There was a middle aged man coming out of nothing but darkness few meters behind me and was calling me by my name. (Let me tell you that the area was totally abandoned by local people and nobody even dared to go to that place even during day time. So possibility of somebody living there was totally ruled out.)

I halted there only and was trying to make out if I know him. In the meanwhile he came to me and asked "Harsh do you have cigarette?" By that time I was totally confused how he knew my name as I couldn't recognize him at all. Suddenly I saw his legs and to my shock his feet were backwards (direction of feet at 180 degree from what normal human beings have). Again in India people believe that ghosts and witches have their feet rounded backwards. I had already heard it several times but saw it for the first time in my life and could hardly believe my eyes.

By that time I was sure that he was not a human being as the feeling of his presence was very unearthly and the temperature around had suddenly dropped. It was chilling out there. I couldn't do much and was stuck there looking at him. He asked again "Do you have a cigarette?". I was startled and as I don't smoke so there was no chance of me carrying a cigarette. I said "no". The man told "OK no problem, you can go now but do bring me a cigarette tomorrow. Come here at the same time tomorrow, I will be here waiting for you. So don't forget to bring it."

I had no other option than agreeing him and left the place.

When I reached office, I told the incident to one of my colleague who was also a good friend of mine. He was a believer and knowledgeable person of these paranormal happenings. He told me that the man I met on the way must be the ghost of some man who was fond of cigarettes and probably had died around that place.

But as he has demanded the thing, so it's really necessary to provide him with it or otherwise he will continue to haunt me in future as well. Now that I knew I met a ghost, I was trembling with fear and was really afraid to go to that place again.

My friend assured me that he will come with me but will be standing at a good distance from that place as the ghost has called only me and he may not like somebody else coming along with me.

Anyhow I gathered courage to go again. I bought a packet of cigarettes and a matchbox and went at the same bridge next night at the same time. My friend was standing at some distance which was actually a bit far but still I had a surety that someone is there at least. Suddenly I heard my name from back."Harsh have you brought the cigarette?".I looked back and the man's ghost was there looking at me. His feet were still backwards.

God! Whenever I saw it a chill run through my spine but I was trying to be normal. I told yes and gave the packet and match box to him. He was very pleased to see the whole packet and said "thanks a lot, now you can go". He returned back and disappeared into nothing and once again I couldn't believe my eyes

After he vanished I felt relieved a bit and without wasting a second walked towards the direction where my friend was standing. After almost running I reached the safe zone. My friend asked if everything is fine and I told about what happened there. We were relaxed now and left that place. After that incident, as long as I was posted there I never used that shortcut, even at day time.

I kept hearing several incidents from other people as well about that area. I don't know whether I should believe in them or not but I believe what happened to me was something which I can say as "supernatural".

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Hkb, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Aaru275 (4 stories) (55 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-06)
Nice story, I can understand how terrifying it must be for you to watch a ghost in front of you
rishabh (4 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-10-17)
this is my 1st time I heard about a male ghost with back feets... I visited mandla once for sports meet
brahmin (2 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-06)
wow, indeed a nice story. It can be real because my late father was also get encountered with a ghost asking for cigarettes... He was also a govt servant 30 years ago... But he was also a smoker. So it was easy for him to handle dangerous situation... Keep writing stories hbk
MidnightHuntress (4 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-02-18)
I googled and some people have been born with feet backwards. I remember reading about a country (I forgot which) but it was bombed in WWII or WWI (may have been vietnam) but people were being born deformed because of the chemicals still there. In India some people have been born deformed. Perhaps it could have been a man who was born that way and his family had him live in the woods? I heard from someone once who worked in Nursing home that some woman was deformed and her family had her living in nursing home. Just a thought. Glad you were kind to him, either way. This is my first time commenting here so I hope I make sense lol. 😳

~Britney Huntress~
Pradeep (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-09)
He may have been a chain smoker when he was in physical form... I have heard that the cravings doubles after death but can't satisfy due to the absence of physical body... Good thing you gave cigarettes... Otherwise it might have hurt you...
Gayatrishiva (3 stories) (121 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-01-01)
nice story man I would dare not go there again to meet the Ghostly figure but I guess you were brave enough.

As far the feet is concerned I had this dream in which it looks like me and my friends are in school grounds and we are walking towards our hostel area. While walking with my other friend we saw two sweet little girls of around 6 years approaching us from behind and there was this high steps and so I helped the girls by lifting them and helping them climb. Now they are in fron of us and they are looking at us and smiled a sweet smile. But I noticedsomething wrong with their eyes their eyes I mean only the eyelids and lower lids of the eyes were bloodshot not the white part of the eye. I saw this clearly. Then turned and was walking ahead of us telling us to follow them for a reason. But while walking I was thinking why is these cute girl's eyes are weird and bloodshot especially those eyelids part only... Then I happen to look at their legs believe me I got a shock of my life. I saw that their feets were like that of a bird (the color was human only) like a bird in the sense a feet has only three separations and from behind I could see the back of the feet it was like very deep cut and blood was ozzing from it. As soon as I saw this I felt something wrong with these kids they don't seem to human. This when I stopped myself and froze where I was along with my friend. The little girls turned and now their eyes were getting bloodshot and bleeding... At this stage I said Jesus save me and started chanting om namah shivaya. I saw them fading from my view. At the same time I got vibrations in my body. The thing is this dream was lucid dream and it was so vivid. The girls they were wearing cute little frok and with cute little hat and all.
Agathangelos (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-27)
Firstly I appreciate the courage shown by you in pulling yourself through the ghastly situation and being so considerate towards the ghost.
I have always heard in Indian folklore that witches have feet that are turned backwards with a terribly scary face. But ghosts having backward feet is completly new for me.
Did you try to inquire around the village and find out whose ghosts it actually was?
Hkb (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-28)
[at] Jester: Yes even we have heard that ghosts are deterred by iron... You know what... I have a logic for it too... What I have thought is that we have heard that ghosts are surrounded or create some kind of magnetic field around them... So if we keep iron with us... There magnetic energy is attracted and siezed by the iron and their power is siezed upto certain limit... Its just a hypthesis from my side.
jester (3 stories) (24 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
One more observation, common to most stories published from India.

Feet pointing backwards... Signifies past.
jester (3 stories) (24 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-18)
Did the ghost ask just for a cigarette? Unlit one? My comment here is India specific.

The reason I ask this is according to what I've been told from childhood (in our parts in Bengal) the fact that spirits/ghosts are deterred by two things; iron and fire.

Importance and ever presence of fire in Hinduism requires no further elaboration. Iron too is prevalent... Rings, bangles. Nowadays people wear these while most are unware of the reasons behind the practice.

Another measure is consecarted iron nails... Driven in corners of the property or on the front door.

Another traditional belief is to refuse everything they "ask" for. Asking/demanding something is symbolic... So is giving. One instruction we get is that if a recently deceased relative appears in dream and asks for something, tell them to go away.
vibhanim21 (14 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-03)
did he harm you or haunt you later? Is your health ok after the incident? Because I have heard ghosts usually draw energy from the man during the encounter.
Hkb (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-31)
[at] Rahulj: Really... Yes I think I have heard about this somewhere... But really scary it is...
rahulj (3 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-05-27)
[at] HKB, you were quite lucky to come out scratchless, because it is generally said in most rural parts in India that while you are venturing out late night, if you come accross any unknown person and if that person asks for tobacco, give him only tobacco and not the lime paste (Chunna) or vice-versa as if you give both you are probably opening a path for the ghost/devil to take your soul.

Cigrettes contain tobbaco and matchsitck is it's accompaniment.
sanjeevgeorge (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
these kind of events are quite possible. But I never knew that ghosts have their feet turned backwards
Bluerose19 (3 stories) (164 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-07)
First of all,, I would really commend you for your 'unbelievable' courage in behaving 'normal' in front of a person whose feet were facing backwards--you were all alone at night in an uninhabited area--and that too in which you already knew was haunted...!Owwww...! 😨...I swear reading your story gave me chills and if I were in place of you at that time,, most definitely, I would have fainted there itself! 😭...Secondly,it was so kind of you to bring the object that the poor soul was wishing for!...Rather than thinking him as a 'smoke-addict' unlike others, what I feel that he must have been wishing for a cigarette just before his death, and he must have died before having it. So may be even after his death he was craving for it. And thirdly, I must say you were quite lucky enough that the 'ghost' did not ask for 'anything more' than simply cigarettes!...I mean thankfully! 😁...When I was reading the line-"...He was very pleased to see the whole packet and said "thanks a lot, now you can go"...",,I was expecting that next, he would ask you to bring some other thing the next day!...Hmmpphh...! And not the least, You did take the right decision of not using the short-cut route after that. Take care.
isabella8 (4 stories) (25 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-07)
I say: man you did the best thing. Ciggies won't harm ghosts... M 😊
What get me most is the natural behavior of the spirit, I find it kind of cute 😜
creepydog (3 stories) (71 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
Well... He obviously enjoys cigarettes quite a lot. He didn't want to hurt you but I can understand why you were unbelievably frightened. I have never read anything about supernatural figures with backwards facing feet. But I agree with Nysa. Thats a horrible habit If you can't give it up once you were dead. Poor ghost. You should help it quit smoking! LOL! 😭 😭 😭
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
The feet back to front could have something to do with the way he died? Perhaps it was a car accident or something else related to his death?... When you watch psychics like John Edwards and co... You often here them say how the spirit is showing them how they died? Or showing area's of the body that was affected by their death... My brother was telling me, his step daughters boyfriend saw my Dad smoking in spirit at there home a short while after he past... So it's good news for all you smokers in the afterlife, although this ghostie brings a new dimension to bumming a cigarette doesn't he... It really fascinates me what lays ahead for all of us, Hope the food taste the same and perhaps we can eat at much as we want without worrying about the excess weight...😆...thank you for sharing story.
ngute80 (220 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
I love reading stories from India! I have never heard of entities with backwards feet before. I'm very interested and I'm going to read up on it. Thank you for sharing
Hkb (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
[at] Javelina & Fergie... Yeah it was necessary to give him the cigarette. Anyways thanks for your valuable comments. Take Care.
😊
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Yes Hkb, 'ciggies' are a very bad habit, but after 53 years it too hard to quit! Maybe your ghost felt the same way! It couldn't hurt him anymore, so you saved yourself a haunting.
Lots of luck, for the future.
Fergie
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Hkb,
I say you did the right thing. He's a ghost, cigarettes can't hurt him now anyway. And it's much better than taking the chance of him haunting you afterward.
Thank you for sharing, I enjoyed reading your accoumt.

Jav 😊
venky (1 stories) (48 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
It's in the part of Anadra Pradesh. I have two experience with the sprits and I have posted in my story "Darkness shows something".
Hkb (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Venky,Thanks for reading. By the way in which area of India did that incident happened with your uncle?
venky (1 stories) (48 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Hi Dude I'm also from india. Believe me dude same thing happen with my uncle. He was travelling on his bike from his office to home. He got a person standing on the road and asking him a lift. My uncle stop the bike and agree for the lift. After some time the stranger asked my uncle a cigarette. My uncle given him one. After driving some Kms my uncle realized he is alone on his bike. He truned back but find no one. He mentioned he is driving at 60 KMPH so there is no chance to him to drop. So my uncle still wondering who he was? Why he came to my uncle bike? Why he asked for cigarette? Where is went down?
Hkb (1 stories) (5 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-02)
[at] snowwhite: yes even In India we have the same kind of belief. Even I have heard a number of stories regarding this.
[at] Nysa: Yeah, It was really puzzling to see somebody having backward feet, but for sure the entities having this are not human beings.
snowhite (203 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-02)
Too bad, the ghost can't quit smoking LOL. I think you did the right thing by giving him a pack of cigarette. At least you didn't make him disappointed and you don't have to worry about he will haunt you since he was pleased. I would be scared too if I were you. However I just feel sad for the ghost for some reason. All he wanted is just a cigarette and he was so easy to be pleased.

In China, old people don't want us to respond to anyone who calls your name, especially when it is still dark outside. Since they believe if you answered, the ghost will take your soul away and you are going to diesoon. It happened to my relative before.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-02)
That is a seriously bad habit if you can't even give it up after you were dead. This is going to sound silly, but I have read before about certain "entities" having backwards feet & have always wondered, do they walk backwards?

I have a hard time accepting that a ghost could carry, let alone smoke, objects like that. But if such things are not ghosts (or something otherworldly) how can the bizarre feet be explained? It's not the kind of thing one can mistake & while some people have things badly wrong physically I do not believe one could get around effectively with both feet turned 180 degrees. If you saw it upon waking I would call it a dream, but halfway to work, that suggestion does not work. So at least right now, I can offer no better explanation than the one you give.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: