You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Shuffles In The Kitchen

Real Ghost Stories

Shuffles In The Kitchen

 

The following experience was encountered by my ten year old self and my older brother who was thirteen at the time. My brother and I are good friends though we do, like normal brother and sister, fight loads and it wasn't often we got to be friendly towards each other and not tearing each other's heads off!

So it was a nice evening this certain evening. To give you some history, our house is quite old. The oldest part of the house I think would have to be the kitchen where my story takes place.

I was stood by the kettle in a corner of our small kitchen making myself a nice hot chocolate because the English winter was coming on and it was freezing! Just as I was pouring the water in, my brother walks in and stands beside me offering help. I say that I'm ok and can manage. So we are there enjoying a small chat about nothing in particular when I hear a small shuffle across the room.

Let me say that we have a tiled floor and when somebody shuffles across the floor you can hear it very clearly. Also, on the floor of our doorway is a small plank of wood nailed into the flooring for a reason I have no idea why, but the point is that when you step on it you hear a loud click kind of sound so if anyone entered the room we would know. There was none but us two.

Anyway I heard but took no notice thinking my brother might be trying to trick me. But them he said

"Laura, did you hear that?"

"What?" I said knowing that would stop his game.

"That shuffling across the floor?"

I felt frozen. I denied it, scared crazy. I just wanted to go back into the living room.

We did, but then a few minutes later, our mother went into the kitchen when we heard a massive SMASH! We ran into the kitchen to see the problem, and our oven, for no reason what so ever had the glass door smashed! Our mum hadn't even touched it. None of us knew what had happened. She blamed it on the springs in the door snapping because of it's age. Yes, our oven was old, but the springs wouldn't radomly snap without you openening the oven! It just smashed on it's own! No one touched it!

We got a new oven and it's very modern and fancy. For 2012, we are planning on a completely new modern kitchen and we are all very excited. I think it may have been some angry spirit, maybe angry I had ignored my own fear that it was there. My brother even experienced the sound of it's movement. My kitchen has always had a creepy vibe to it and I'm wondering if maybe something or someone else still lives on with us?

Other hauntings by unknown_madness

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, unknown_madness, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kiego (2 stories) (52 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-14)
its always nice to have someone around when something unexplainably creepy happens. Not only does it make you feel sane, it creates comfort in knowing that you are not alone with whatever it is that may be possibly causing the noises.
Off the subject... I have a story that comes to mind that I would love to post but alas, the mods are buried in stories. I had no idea how many stories came through, let's all give our MODS a round of applause. I don't know how much dedication it takes but I can spare some hours on the weekends to help edit. I have written 2 novels and while I'm not a certified editor I am capable of handling some editing. Just an offer for you mods out there to consider. =)
unknown_madness (8 stories) (36 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-06)
Veris28, let me just say thank you my friend, you just owned many people over the internet! 😆

Yes, thank you for your comment, it really supports my story.

Anneke8, the small plank of wood under almost every door way downstairs is a mystery. I have no idea if it was for security or if it's just part of the doorway but I like your thinking...

Thank you once again for your comments, it helps alot.
shiskikun (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-06)
it does sound like one may live with you because old houses usally are targets for demons and ghosts but I really don't think it was because of any spirits that that happened to your stove! 😢
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-06)
Moongrim - nice to 'see' you with a comment again.
Wonder what that little piece of wood was for.
Perhaps the people living there in the past put in there for 'security'. So when you are busy with your back to the foor when cooking, you can hear whean someone enters the kitchen...? 😕
Veris28 (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-04)
Hi unknown madness. In my opinion yes science could explain your glass oven experience. HOWEVER the significance here is not to be found in the experience itself, but rather the timing. The timing being just after you heard and ignored the shuffling spirit. I must also remind my fellow commenters in reference to the idea that a sudden temperature change in the surrounding atmosphere could cause a rapid expansion of the glass, THE tell-tale sign of a spiritual presence is a SUDDEN DROP in temperature which varies in degree depending on how powerful the presence is. So although the spirit may not have, kicked the oven door in, that does not mean to say that it had no hand in it at all and it is also not fair to say it is a mean or malevolent spirit as the oven was most likely an accident:)
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
I don't know, Moongrim; you never know. You could be possessed...
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Maybe, maybe not spirits. The thing about glass, is that it can take loads of abuse and stress, but you can never see any problem, until the 'straw that breaks the camel's back', stressor occurs.

When I was much younger, I used to work in a restaurant kitchen/dishwashing. One time I dropped an entire tray of glasses onto the floor, and not one broke.
But one of them, as soon as I picked it up- exploded. My cold dry hand picking up a warm wet (and very stressed) glass was just too much. No cuts, but I was quite surprised.
unknown_madness (8 stories) (36 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
Thanks for your comments. I understand it is hard to tell from a single incident and I have also read that spirits do not like redecoration but I have to say it ws really frightening considering the shuffling was so loud and none of us moved. I really hope I can find something when we remodel the kitchen so stay tuned and I may post something later on! 😊 😊
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-03)
I have to agree with Nysa, it was a single instance. And I think if there is anything to it, you will find out when you begin the remodling process.
Thank you for sharing.

Jav 😊
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-02)
It is hard to say based on a single instance of hearing an unidentified noise & an oven door giving out on an old stove. But many people believe that remodeling riles up spirits that aren't resting so peacefully, so maybe you will soon find out if "something" is there.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: