You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Is My Next Door Neighbour Saying Goodbye?

Real Ghost Stories

Is My Next Door Neighbour Saying Goodbye?

 

We had a next door neighbour (literally next door), who was close to ninety. She was always out and about walking to the hospital nearby (a seven minute walk in dry conditions for a fast walker like me). She did however have known back and leg pains (important piece of information that!).

One day I returned home from school (aged 14). The night before I had had to stay at a friends that night as my parents had to be somewhere the next morning. During the night I had felt a presence which had felt calming in the room at about 1 in the morning. It had come and gone within a minute. When I returned home, I was shortly followed by my sister. A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts. My sister answered it and I asked who it was. She said one of the neighbours from across the road (literally across the road) had needed to see mom and dad. She said she had seemed worried. When mom and dad returned home with my brother from a guitar class, my mom went to find the "across the road" neighbour. She came back with sad news. The "next door" neighbour was dead.

A week later, a number of answer machines received the same message at the same time. The caller was an old lady, who mysteriously sounded like the next door neighbour who had died. The message said, "It's alright now. The pains in my back and legs are gone now. There's no need to worry..." That was it. Like the message was intended. All the people who had received the message had all been family members or good friends. Some had tried to trace the call back. All the tries had returned with a non-existent number message.

The questions are these: Could the prescence in the room have been my neighbour after she had just died?

And could the message have been a goodbye message for us all from her?

Joe

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, flashycar, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

radish54 (1 stories) (51 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
This is a wonderful story. I hope it was your neighbor in both instances. The jury does not seem be out about the ability of spirits to manipulate electrical devices. If one (the answering machine) why not as many open/unassigned positions on a patch panel as needed to spread the good news to family and friends... "It's alright now. The pains in my back and legs are gone now. There's no need to worry..."

I'm happy to receive that bit of tidings even from a website; third-hand, apocryphal, urban-legend or what have you,
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-09)
I like these kind of accounts simple straight to the point and ultimately belieavable. I agree with the others, if this was indeed your next door neighbour who left you the messages she obviously was fond you and your family, that is such a nice thing for her to do. Great experience. Ghosts and spirits etc seem to enjoy playing around with technology to gain our attention! 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
flashycar (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-08)
The answer machine was like a house phone answer machine you know "Leave your message after the tone" sort of thing. About the relationship thing We were good neighbours. She used to let me in to her house if I had forgot my house keys after school. She'd give me coke and stuff. 😁 She was very kind
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-08)
If you had a close relationship with this lady I'd say it was her presence you felt yes. I once had a 'dream' that my granny phoned me after she died. When I picked up the receiver, se said to me
'Hello my child', always like she did while still alive. I felt myself getting ice cold. Then she started talking to me, I can not remember what she said, it's like a blur in my head, but it was something to do that I must be carefull.
I can't tell about the answering machine messages.
You never know...
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-07)
I would say it was not a goodbye message, though I shudder to think why someone else would have left those messages. The thing is, for it to trace back to an unknown number means another phone did actually call when someone left the message. If there had been no record of phone calls at that time it would suggest that her spirit had manipulated the answering machines or rather the tape (I am assuming you mean literal answering machines not voice mail) & left the imprint of her voice on it. But since the calls traced back to an unknown number that means a phone was physically used & I just don't see that. Did you actually hear any of the messages? Because this sounds a lot like the kind of urban legend that gets passed around, but if you actually heard it or feel confident someone you trust to be truthful actually heard it I must come to the sad conclusion that someone thought it would be cool to create a "ghostly" event using this woman's death. As for the presence you felt, that is a tougher call. Maybe she was there, maybe you had a brief psychic connection in which you felt the sense of calm that overcame her at the moment of her death, or maybe it was just a sense you got from a dream you did not remember having.
Argette (guest)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-07)
There have been quite a few unbelievable stories posted here lately, and I'm tempted to categorize your story as one. But something about it has caught me. I'm not sure what. Maybe I'm intrigued with the idea of spirits using modern technology to communicate - I mean, there are plenty of stories here that involve cellphone calls.

If you had a close relationship with your neighbor, I would say your theory that she visited you might be spot on.

Also, how did you find out about all the phone messages?

Just a few things - doesn't mean I don't believe you. Actually, I think it's a charming story.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: