You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Haunted Elevator

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Elevator

 

While I was in Seattle WA for a pageant, my mom booked us a room at the Hilton Hotel. We had just gotten back from a competition and we were craving junk food. We went to the front desk (this is just my mom and I, my brother stayed back in the room) and asked the woman if they had any junk food machines. She said, "No, but we have a pop machine way down at the end of the hall." So my mom and I went to get some pop.

The elevators you would normally take were a long distance from the pop machines and there was a service elevator a few doors down from us. We took the service elevator. This elevator was OLD! When the doors opened, there was an old chair resting in the corner of it. I thought, "Maids use this elevator, someone must have left it or something." When you walk in, you feel this feeling that just makes you uncomfortable. At the same time you're a little freaked out because you're in an old elevator with a rusty old chair!

I turned to my mom and said, "I bet you someone is sitting in that chair!" After that nothing was quite the same. The feelings began to get stronger, and the elevator doors wouldn't open! The light showed we were on our floor, which was the third floor so it wasn't that long of a ride. I then said, "I bet this thing is haunted." As soon as I said that, the voice spoke. It sounded as if it were from an old radio, and it sounded like it was on top on the elevator, yet it felt like it was right in your ear! The voice sounded like it was from another time though. I can't quite describe it, but it was freaky! It said, "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!" in a low, uncomfortable voice.

My mom and I ran to the doors and the doors opened and we were out of there! My brother didn't believe us, but now I'm an even better believer! I told two of my pageant friends about this and they replied, "Let's go check it out!" I was hesitant, but I still went. It still felt uneasy, not a good feeling. It didn't feel "evil". It felt... Depressing and sad. Then at other times it felt creepy happy! The chair wasn't in the elevator and my friends and I were too scared to talk, so it didn't reply. I think it was us talking to it that caused it to want to reply to us.

This was my first experience and I was not too happy about it!

Other hauntings by GhostlyMostly_006

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, GhostlyMostly_006, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-10-11)
I think it's most likely a prank.;) But seriously, if I thought an elevator was haunted, I wouldn't enter it in the first place. I'd just take the stairs! You're a brave soul.
colombiana98 (4 posts)
-1
11 years ago (2012-10-10)
thats scary I wouldn't dare say a comment like that after some many scary stories happening to me
MaddyMasacar (3 stories) (19 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
I am not skeptical about your story of this haunted elevator; just try and stay away from the elevator from now on and best not tempt others to it in case something leaves with them.

I still have a little doubt in your story though with the laughing and such. 😕
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
Often our sense of fear or, after the event is over, the thrill of thinking we experienced the unknown make us feel quite strongly that that something was far too strange to have not been paranormal & no amount of rationalization will make us feel otherwise. With what has been revealed the logical mind must determine that a normal, rather than paranormal, explanation is more likely. I would say a self-fulfilling prophecy, you saw an old chair seemingly out of place, let your imagination take over & conjured up a ghost, probably with the help of an outside trickster. That said, just because an experience could have an explanation does not mean it could not have been a ghost. Your instinct tells you this was a paranormal event. We know our instincts are easily fooled, but it's certainly not unreasonable for you to hold on to your belief, even if most strangers are not convinced you interpreted things clearly.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
GhostlyMostly: After a little research, I discovered that the Hilton Seattle was built in 1970...So, I guess it wasn't the oldest elevator in the world 😆...Understandably, a service elevator wouldn't be as posh as the ones reserved for guests, but it wouldn't be dilapidated either... Hilton takes great pride in the conditions of their hotels, and are constantly renovating/upgrading their facilities, so one could rightly assume this particular elevator did indeed possess most, if not all, current technological devices...

And no, you did not mention that the attendant told you to take the service elevator...
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
GhostlyMostly_006,
Thank you for returning to address this. However, that is precisely why granny and I were wondering if you had accessed the elevator without having to use a pass key? If so, it would make it less likely that security would have had to open the door for you to get out.
Believe me, I know how creepy those elevators can be. I had one at the store I worked in. The building was erected in the early 1950's and that elevator had to be as old as the building. It was not well lit inside either. More like a big metal cage than an elevator really.
Anyway, I believe you may have had a real ghostly experience, myself. Hotels, particularly older ones, are notorious for spiritual activity.
Sorry if you were upset over the comments, but it helps if you participate in the discussion in it's early stages so these things don't go too far.
Thank you for sharing.

Jav 😊
GhostlyMostly_006 (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
Yeah, I completely understand what you guys are saying, but you werent there. It wasn't normal, it didn't feel safe. The voice plays over and over again in my mind, even I know when there are speakers in the elevators, there wasnt! It was the oldest elevator in the world! Okay... I dare all of you to go to the hilton hotel in seattle, and ride the service elevator, and TALK! You will see just how horrifying it was.
Ps. Thank you for trying to debunk it, but I'm almost positive it wasn't human. Plus the woman at the front desk TOLD us to ride the service elevator, did I not put that in there?
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
Most elevators have intercoms/speaker systems inside them. It was probably someone overhearing you saying that the place is haunted, and thought to give you a scare. The ha ha ha that sounded like it came over the radio, was probably the intercom.
But you never know hey...? 😐
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-02-11)
I am weighing in with the rest of the crew. I think the "haunting" was a prankster security officer, especially since "ha ha ha ha ha ha" is rather cliche. Next time, use the regular elevators!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-11)
Good point there granny! If they got in without a key...hmm

Jav
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-11)
Jave, I thought about the entry key AFTER I commented LOL 😆...So now my question is, were the elevator doors open when you approached them, or, did they open when you pushed the up/down button to call the elevator?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-02-11)
granny's right hun. Service elevators also have a key to operate them in most cases. Security had to open the door for you as well, because you didn't have a pass key. So yes, it was probably security messing with you.

Jav
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+4
12 years ago (2012-02-11)
GhostlyMostly: Well, first of all, guests aren't supposed to use the service elevators for security reasons...Now, I'm just basing my opinion on what I know of hotel operations here in Vegas, but all elevators are monitored with cameras and the voice you heard may have been a security guard trying to scare the crap out of you for not following the proper "guest etiquette"... 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: