You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Children Who See Spirits :: The Scary Old Man

Real Ghost Stories

The Scary Old Man

 

We moved into our new home in North Providence, Rhode Island, a week ago. It's a large Tudor ranch with many rooms. Last night my 3-year-old son woke up in the middle of the night calling for his daddy!

I went to his room, which he temporarily shares with his 9-year-old brother as we are remodeling his brother's room. He sat up and told me that he didn't like the scary old man that was in his bed!

To quiet him down, I decided to pick him up and let him sleep in our bed. In the morning I asked him to tell me about the old man. He said that I would be too scared. I say "try me". He said to me that he was like a zombie. I also asked my 3 year old how come I didn't see the old man last night and he said "Because he was in my room, Mommy!"

I left it with "The next time you see the scary old man, ask him to please go into another room as you are trying to sleep." I am not sure if this is the right answer; however, I really don't want to make it worse for him. After all, this will be our home for the next 30 years, so we may as well embrace the old man.

The home was built in 1977 by a couple who raised their two daughters there. In purchasing the home, reference was made about the mother on many occasions; however, nothing was ever said about the husband who must have passed away.

I will probably reach out to the realtor to gather more information on what happened to the man who lived in the house. The wife passed away in a nursing home last year.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Rhode Island

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jclcos, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

StrayB12 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
I've heard that younger children, older adults and pets are able to see spirits usually
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
I also think you handled that pretty well. I believe it is a good thing for a child to tell something that is bothering them to go away. If the spirit of the old man is just there and not looking to cause harm to you or your family then there is no reason why you can't co-exist. You can set your own house rules as well. Human spirits will most likely listen because they don't want to be forced to leave.
I hope everyhting works out for you, and thanks for posting. Take care 😊
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
I think that was the perfect response. Whether he dreamed it, imagined it, or saw a ghost you let him know he could take control & did not have to be afraid. If it is the spirit of an old man I would think he would not like to frighten a small child so it seems likely he would honor your sons request if he makes it.
arabiangym (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
my lil 3 year old sister says that but about an old woman trying to pull her hair out. 😕
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
Good for you! I think the way you handled your little sons question was great!. And I agree about accepting his presence (the spirit) sense he was most likely there long before you ever moved in and he does not seem to pose a threat. Great story Thanks for sharing!
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
I can understand not wanting to upset your youngest child anymore than he already is. I have three children of my own. I use this method to cleans and shield our home... And I will be using it shortly as we are buying a new home and close on Friday... Please feel free to try this either with or without your children home...

Recipe for a Home Cleansing/Shielding... (allow for two or 3 days to complete)

Day one: Open all curtains window and doors with screens installed, let fresh air and sunshine into the home. Have all closets, cabinets and other 'dark spaces' open so that as much natural light as possible can enter those spaces. After 2-3 hours take a broom and 'sweep' out each room (this is symbolic and you do not have to really sweep) focus your thoughts on sweeping (pushing) out all negative energies / entities /thoughts. Close home up after completing each room of your home... Please do not forget your garage if you have one. (Optional) Light incense (sandalwood or Dragons-blood works well for me) and let aroma fill the home, and/or play a tape that contains your favorite Church songs before you begin sweeping.

Day two (or three): Once again open all curtains, windows and doors. Take a White candle (Optional) to the center most point of the home, sit on the floor and place candle in front of you. Light the candle (visualize a white ball of light) and then focus on the flame... Visualize the flame (white light) filled with positive thoughts, energy. (Say a prayer at this time if you so desire... Ask for cleansing positive energy to fill the candles flame/white light). Hold this 'image' in your mind and then visualize the flame (light) slowly expanding outward, visualize it filling the room your in, every corner and 'dark space'. Continue to visualize it expanding...it's outer edges pushing away (burning away) any and all negative energies/entities out and away from each room in your home. Once you have visualized this flame (light) filling your entire home, picture it expanding to your property lines. Hold this image in your mind for a few moments then visualize 'anchoring' this flame (light) where you are sitting which is the center most point of your home. Once you have done this. Take a deep breath, relax a few moments and then blow out the candle. (If you didn't use a candle just let yourself relax a moment or two.) "

Now you can create a shield for yourself using the 'home shield' technique but instead of focusing on your home visualize the 'flame' simply surrounding you instead of your home... Best time to do this is after a nice shower using a rosemary scented soap (rosemary is good for purification and protection.)

Please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
venky (1 stories) (48 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
Rhode island Lighthouse is haunted place. I saw in ghost hunter proggrame.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: