You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Restless Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Restless Room

 

By the spring of 1991, I'd pretty much gotten used to the fact that 1444 Broadway had some problems, to put it mildly...noises, lights, objects being moved or acting strangely were everyday things by then, and were generally more of a nuisance than a terror. The manifestations in the bathroom were just such.

1444 had two bathrooms upstairs, to be shared by all the tenants. They were right next to each other on the long hall, on your right as you headed to the rear exit. I generally used the one closest to my apartment, and really didn't notice anything odd until early April, when the temperature in the room remained cold, no matter what the heat was set on. A thermometer taken into the room would show normal room temperature.

The water in the toilet was always icy-cold, so much so that it was uncomfortable to use. Also, it would flush by itself several times a day. The tub and sink could be heard to turn on and run, although they'd be bone-dry upon inspection.

Several times, the bathroom door would be heard to slam shut, only to be found standing wide open when checked. Once, a loud thump was heard in the room, but nothing was out of place.

One weekend when I had my usual guests, anyone using the bathroom would hear their name called in a voice that sounded like someone else in the group. I heard Dave, Dave heard Buddi, Buddi heard Lisa, and Lisa heard me. The people in the living room heard nothing.

One morning, about 9:30, I was getting ready to leave for the day. I'd taken a bath, brushed my teeth, dressed, and was preparing to shave when I saw a misty form behind me, reflected in the mirror. It was shorter than me, with blurry features, and seemed to glide into the room. I turned to face it, but there was nothing there. Deciding I didn't need a shave that bad, I turned, and walked out of the room.

As I exited, I heard the toilet flush.

Other hauntings by alandhopewell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, alandhopewell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

sacul (1 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-16)
That's pretty strange. Thank you for clarifying. I wonder what a digital thermometer would read it at. Perhaps one could check and compare it to the ambient temperature to determine how abnormal it was, no? That would be a pretty cool figure for the non-believer/physic geeks out there!
Thanks again for the read. I enjoy the way you and wreck word your accounts.

~S 😁
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-14)
SACUL- The water was cold enough that the entire bowl, including the seat, was freezing cold to the (rather sensitive) touch.
sacul (1 stories) (71 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-13)
Wait a second... Why did the temperature of the toilet water make it hard to use? Splash-back? 😕
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
Like the others have mentioned, it's really creepy to see a spirit in the mirror and it's not there when you turn around.

I agree with cosmogal926, that with so much history, there is going to be some paranormal activities.

My first thought was to change bathrooms. I would like to think that I was some peace of mind when I wash up for the day.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
Hi Al,

I agree with Darkness. The paranormal activities are attracted to water. But I liked title and it hooked me into the story. A great one. But you said no one was hurt or it was not violent. Thats good. You also said that it was used as a morgue. Probably that's the reason why you see the activities. Great story and thanks for sharing.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
Thanks for that information Mr. Hopewell. 😁 With a history like that, I would say the chances for paranormal activity were pretty good. 😉
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-02-15)
The building itself dated from 1927-the original structure, a house, was probably damaged or demolished in the Tornado of '24. As I understand, during the Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918, the house had been used as a morgue.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
alandhopewell: Creepy indeed mate, I have often heard as what 510mot has mentioned aswell that water is an energy source for the manifestation of spirits. The mimicking of sounds ie your names and sounds associated with devices, is a big cry for attention and in some cases the negative ones it used to cause unstability and fear in the individual for them to thrive in it.
Cosmo mentioned land and house history do you have any knowledge on this at all?

Thanks for sharing.

Dan
clever210 (3 stories) (189 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
Alan,

Awesome title for your story. It took me a second to get it. I'm a little slow today. 😆
I would be totally freaked about if that happened to me. Bathrooms creep me out enough as it is, after seeing the movie Psycho. Thanks so much for sharing!

-clever210
alandhopewell (28 stories) (145 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
The form was just a humanoid shape, passing behind me in the glass. I'm 5' 9", and the form looked to be about 5' even. This is the only time that happened there, although I had something similar occur when I was cleaning restrooms at Marriott.

The toilet water would actually be seen to flush, although the other sounds seemed to have been mimiced. There were cold spots at various times and locations at 1444-I had the unpleasant experience of walking through one, or perhaps it passed through ME~ the cold seemed to radiate from inside, with that vague sense of dread.
cosmogal926 (9 stories) (1223 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
I can see how constantly hearing the sounds coming from the bathroom, and other little things happening in the building can become part of the normal everyday drill. People hearing their name, and you seeing the misty figure behind you in the mirror is a much larger pill to swallow. That is enough to give anyone goose bumps! 😨
Did you ever check into the history of the building? Thanks for sharing another experience with us. 😊
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
Now that is what I call one haunted bathroom!
A ghost that likes flushing toilets and taps.
I think it liked to play around a bit. Could it have been a child perhaps? No stories about someone dying there perhaps?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-14)
Alan,
For the image in the mirror alone, this is at least a 9 on the creep-o-meter. Just the thought of looking in the mirror and seeing something that isn't supposed to be there chills me to the bone. But then turn and look at where it should be, and it's not there? No thanks! I wouldn't use that bathroom again. At least not alone.
Now, the toilet flushing on it's own several times a day might be a leaky seal between the tank and the bowl. The water would slowly make it's way down to the bowl. The bowl will flush, without pressing the handle, once the water level hits a certain point. We had that problem when we first bought our kouse. The leak was so minor that it was nearly undetectable. Then of course you would hear water running to refill the tank. However, a running toilet and a running faucet do sound different.
Just a thought...

Jav ❤
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
That is odd, it sounds like you had something that liked to mimic sounds. If the sink & tub were dry after hearing the water run it must have been mimicking the noise of the water running. When the toilet flushed did the water actually leave the bowl or was it just the sound too? Then it mimicked your voices. In fact since the thermometer read normal temps it seems it was even mimicking cold, making you feel cold without actually lowering the temperature. It makes me curious about the motive of such "things" & why it stuck so firmly to the bathroom.
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-13)
What is the fascination spirits have with running water? I have heard many a story centered in the bathroom. Some say moving water is conducive to their manifestation. Were there any visible details on the misty form that would indicate sex,race,or age?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: