You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Demons / Possessions / Exorcisms :: Scientist Who Believes

Real Ghost Stories

Scientist Who Believes

 

When I was 15 years old, I had an experience which I will never forget. Thankfully, like birthing a child, the terror is not relived, but the memory is still very vivid. I had a rather strict religious upbringing where I was exposed to rigid standards and beliefs. Thankfully, I was able to filter those experiences that were edifying from those that were more opinion or interpretation-based. During my teens, when my family was a part of this denomination, I was not able to wear jewelry, cut my hair, wear make-up, or pants. I had to withstand being seen as different from everyone else, and though it made me a very strong individual today, going through it during my teens was very hard.

During this time I had a very close friend who I cherished and still do, dearly. We were in high school together and shared many things-much like sisters. One evening she was eating dinner with my family and me at our house and my Dad and I were fighting over something (I can't remember what), when she began to cry. Normally, it would be understandable that a sensitive person could be brought to tears being around people fighting, but this was different. I remember my Dad and I exchanged concerned looks because the atmosphere took on a disturbing energy. Nothing further happened that night, though her crying halted any more fighting.

A little later on, about a week or so, she attended my church with my family. At the end of the Sunday morning sermon, my pastor called the congregation up to the pulpit, as he often did, and we all went up to stand as near as possible. My friend was standing next to me and the congregation was silent. Suddenly, she let out a sound like a yell, and it startled me out of my reverie, as well as other individuals. My pastor asked me gently to take her to the prayer room, which I interpreted as to allow her to worship without further protracting the service, so he could dismiss everyone.

I obeyed him and led her back to the prayer room. I was standing with her as she had her hands raised, when suddenly my pastor and most of the elders and their wives all approached us. My pastor walked up to her and said something in her ear, most likely that he wanted to pray for her, as not to frighten her. I stepped back so they could do what they needed to do. I had no idea what was about to happen next.

What started out as a normal prayer group praying over a person turned quickly nasty. She began struggling and salivating as something inside her resisted the prayers. I was completely stunned and terrified. I found myself not brave enough to stay there, being so taken by surprise. I didn't feel prepared to face something like that. Not only that, but I felt vulnerable to whatever was inside of her. We didn't talk about demonic possession that much in my church. My pastor had mentioned having some experiences in his mission work in Africa, but I never imagined something evil being inside my friend. She was such a sweet person-at least when she was around me. I couldn't understand how that could have happened to her or why I couldn't feel it in her when I've been an empathic person my whole life.

Understandably, I was too upset to want to return to the place where it happened. I reluctantly attended church that evening and the following Wednesday night, but I had changed. I was trying to process what had happened and why that I just didn't want to keep pretending to be okay and keep a straight face at church.

The story doesn't end here. A few nights later, I was sleeping in my bedroom that I shared with my five year old sister, and was awakened to an evil presence. I've never really seen anything beyond shadows, and I couldn't "see" this entity with my eyes, but somehow I knew what it looked like. I envisioned a black mass with a tattered flowing robe standing at the foot of my bed. My sister's bed was about a foot and a half from mine, so it was really standing at the foot of my bed between the two beds. Like the blink of an eye, it was hovering over me. It felt like it had a vice-like grip on my heart and was choking me. I was paralyzed with fear. Nothing would come out of my mouth-I was afraid to even think of Jesus' name.

After what seemed like an eternity, I finally belted out, "Daddy!" I heard my father's footsteps running from across the house and stopped outside my bedroom door. He told the evil spirit to leave in Jesus' name and shortly after I felt calmer. Dad told me later that our bedroom was ice cold. I did not bias him with what I thought was happening to me. My sister told me she saw the thing hovering over me in my bed. She has always been the one with the gift of seeing them, if you want to call it a gift.

I believe that whatever spirit was exorcised from my friend followed me and made an attempt to possess me that night. My fear gave it strength to finally manifest and attack. It took me a really long time to be able to talk about it. I have become progressively more sensitive to the spirit world, though I try not to cultivate it. I am a scientist and people in my field do not really support this kind of discussion. However, I know that I did not hallucinate this occurrence and I try to remember that fear attracts things I don't want to come into my life.

Other hauntings by VSangel0309

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, VSangel0309, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-24)
To all,

Thanks for sharing your informed ideas with me. It helps to hear what others think, especially when dealing with the unknown. I'll write the story about my ordeal in this woman's house I mentioned before soon.

Look forward to talking to you again,

Elle
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-24)
WReck72,

Well met and your theory is as good as any other. 😊

I was going to 'put forth' it being more like an 'addiction'. If your friend had become 'used' to this 'spirit/entity' being attached to her then this 'forced separation' caused her 'distress' as her reaction seems to indicate. She may have been unaware of this attachment as well...

I believe (MY OPINION HERE FOLKS) That True Exorcisms, are few and far between, and involve much more than a 'one time' event to be effective. This is because the 'spirit/entity/ and I'll say it here... Demon' has done more than attach itself to whomever's 'spirit/soul', it has effectively 'taken it's place of'...this happens either by an individual voluntarily giving up control of their body/mind...or after a long period of torment and wearing down of the individuals will power and spiritual strength is the oppressive spirit/entity/demon able to take 'control'.

Just my 'two cents'

Respectfully,

Rook
WReck72 (1 stories) (116 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-23)
This is only a theory but I have read many times that the soul is very small, like atomic level small but has unimaginable amounts of energy. One of the articles I read used the biblical reference of Matthew 17:20 when Yeshua explains the amount of faith needed to move a mountain. From my understanding the soul is very small even though it's energy fills your whole body and beyond. So if another spirit had attached it's self to even the energy of your friends soul I would imagine separating the 2 would be like pulling apart joined magnetic fields. So my guess would be that your friends reactions could have been due to her own soul inside of her body not the other spirit/demon. This is just my own theory obviously. If any one else has any thoughts on the issue definitely still share them.
Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-23)
Rookygin,

I completely agree with you. There is just one thing that doesn't add up in that experience. Why did she behave as if something was inside of her during the exorcism? An attached spirit does not do that, or do they?

Elle
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-23)
Elle,

Thank you for the 'feedback'.

It is very likely (presuming 'spirits/entities exist) that one attracted to negative/combative energy could have been drawn to your home environment. Then from there 'attached' itself to your friend.

Even without believing in 'spirits/entities' there is evidence enough that we as individuals are sensitive to our environment/surroundings and how they 'feel'. This is more than likely based on the 'natural electromagnetic field' that exists in the World. Negative Emotions / Arguments provide for a 'negative field' to be generated in a given area and 'Positive Emotions / Happy Events provide for a 'positive field' to be generated. Then we as interactive parts of this overall field can 'pick up on' just which type is in any given place... And as in any 'piece of equipment' sensitivity varies from one 'model' to the next.

(I hope that makes some sort of sense...)

Respectfully,

Rook
Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-22)
Rookygin,

As far as I can remember, nothing occurred as you described for instigating arguments between my dad and I. He and I have always had diametrically opposite views on many things, so that was always enough to generate ugly conversations. However, that doesn't mean that negative energies weren't attracted to that dynamic in the household. So, you are likely right on the money with that one.

I've thought about my friend. She's probably a sensitive, too, but doesn't really see herself that way. She's hispanic, and a lot of their culture revolves around the supernatural. She hasn't admitted to experiencing anything out of the ordinary in her home. If anything, it was my home she probably felt something in. I could never bring friends home to my parent's house because it never had a welcoming energy. She was the only one who would come back after the first visit.

Elle
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-22)
Elle,

I've used that method for many years it took joining this site for me to actually write it down, give it a 'tweak or peak' and put it out there. The best part is that it is not 'Faith' based... At least not in a Religious sense. If your religious, insert Prayers... If not focus on Positive Thoughts and Energy... Like attracts Like after all.

This 'field' is not exact science... There is evidence here and there that indicates there may be something we can't see that is able to interact with the natural electromagnetic field and by doing so make it's presence known. My theories are based on my Personal Experiences, Research into different Religions and Cultural Belief's along with a bit of 'trial and error' on my part (Ouija Boards, Seances and I was Wiccan (solo practicing Witch) for a number of years.

Back to your experience...

You bring up an interesting point this 'spirit/entity' may have been 'present' around your household due to the negative energy from the 'strife' within your household. When she showed 'shock/fear/nervous' it may have been attracted to her and because of her own personal stress levels it was able to attach itself to her. A few questions may help determine what happened...

First: Other than 'high negative energy' in your household during this time in your life did you notice strange things happening? These would have been small/subtle things that may have caused arguments between you and your Father..."Who moved the car keys?"..."Where's the ______?" and you would find yourself being blamed for something you didn't do. Or maybe just the reverse... Something of yours went missing/was moved and you 'blamed' your Father... Which led to an argument because he hadn't touched your things? These may be indicators that 'something unseen' was in the household.

The other question is this... If not in your home do you know if the above situation may have been happening in her home?

Another possibility is that the 'energy' produced by you/your friend during the 'tail end' of Puberty attracted an entity who attached itself due to the negative energy in either household, which leads directly back to my other two questions...

I hope my Method works for you as well as it has others, Thank You again for Sharing this experience with us.

Respectfully,

Rook
Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
Anneke8,

I think it is interesting how people view scientists, really. Since I have a cultural anthropology slant to my career, I may be slightly different than most because I have to be open to what other cultures believe. I don't have to agree, but I believe in being respectful. I definitely don't think I know everything. I know a true scientist has to face their limitations constantly, especially when an experiment doesn't produce what you think it will. But the beauty in science is respect for the truth.

Also, I work with so many different scientists from all over the world. Hindus, Islamics, and Jewish, to name a few of the beliefs. Most of these people are devout in their beliefs and still practice medicine or research. Who we see on television, they may or may not have a faith, we don't know, but the way they present themselves, it makes one think all scientists are that way. It's really not the case.
Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
Hi Rookygin,

I am inclined to agree with you about the spirit being attached rather than possessing her. You know, I haven't been able to get much information from her regarding her home life or any kind of distress she might have been under. I do remember talking to her about not liking some of the things her dad was doing. He wasn't a nice person, apparently. I never met him; she always came over to my house, or we hung around at school.

When I was running out of the prayer room, I felt deep down I was going to attract it because I was already showing such fear. It could be true that my energy was familiar-who knows, it may have come from our home? My family had a lot of strife because we were struggling to make ends meet. Fighting was normal for us.

I've already used some of your shielding technique in my new home. I feel much safer now than I have in a while. I especially like the part about filling the home with natural light. It makes such a difference. I can honestly say, I am more curious than scared now. If I feel something around I don't like, I just tell it to leave. It also helps to get your mind off of it. Sometimes when I read a lot of these stories, I do feel a little sensitive, but I know it is me doing it. I try to balance myself with working and taking care of myself.

Thanks,

Elle
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
Elle,

I am intrigued by your experience and there are some things I'd like to comment on.

This 'dark presence' seems more along the lines of a spirit or entity that thrives on the fear it can generate rather than one attempting to posses an individual. Having said that I have some questions concerning your friend and events leading up to that day at your Church...

First: Had she been depressed/ under lots of stress in the... Lets call it... Month leading up to her bursting into tears during dinner at your house that evening?

Possession by a spirit takes place in to ways... The First is done willingly by a medium who temporarily gives control of ones voice... Or on rare occasions body... For communication purposes. The second is when the spirit/entity/demon wears down a persons resistance... Enjoying the process... Until an individuals will is so weak it is able to 'push' their spirit (soul) aside and take control over that individuals body... This happens in short 'bursts' at first because that individuals 'willpower' allows them to 'fight back' but the longer the oppression continues the longer the period of Possession becomes.

I point out this (and stress it's my opinion/understanding of such 'things') because for your friend to be Possessed and enter a Church? That is either a very advanced state of Possession, or a very Strong Spiritual Attachment. I'm going to go out on a limb and say this was a Strong Attachment and here is why...

The Spirit itself was not 'inside' your friend at dinner, but it's 'connection' to her made her extremely sensitive to the emotions being generated by the fight you and your Father had that night before dinner... This 'spirit' thrived off the 'fear/pain' your friend experienced during times of 'high stress'.

That day in the Church, being 'Faithful' myself, it's hard for me to see a Truly Possessed individual being able to enter a House of Worship. However the 'attached spirit' could cause your friend to feel pain and distress while remaining 'outside' thus causing her to cry out and the Clergy of your Church reacted in what they felt was the proper way. What ever they did severed the attachment and this newly 'freed' entity went searching for another 'host'. Your energy was familiar to it so it sought you out. However you cried out that night and your Father was able to drive it away.

I know I've rambled but I felt I had to say something.

I have a Method of Shielding/Cleansing that I use for my Home and Family that is yours for the asking should you feel you need it.

Thank you for sharing, please keep us updated.

Respectfully,

Rook
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
You can still be a scientist and believe, Moongrim!
Not every one of them are non believers, and that makes me respect them even more!
Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
After the incident with my best friend, we were riding home together and I had asked her if she was aware of what was happening. She said she didn't know what had happened. In fact, we had to tell her. She must have blacked out. From what I understand, during the possessed state, the mind does retreat and the person doesn't remember the event. That seems to be the only positive thing coming from such a terrible event.

She recently found me on Facebook and talked to me. We message each other every now and then. She asked me if I remembered that incident. Of course! How does one block that kind of thing out? I don't think I ever shared with her the attack because I didn't want to scare her further.

What she said to me was that she has no idea how she came about being possessed. She wasn't delving into the occult or messing around with anything to attract something like that. And from what I knew of her, she was a good person. Thankfully, nothing like that has happened to her since.

When I think back about what had happened, no one in the church took me to the side to see if I was alright. Three years later, I left that church and never went back. It was charismatic and people there went to extremes. The women there didn't think it appropriate I wanted to have a career in medicine. Women were to be the homemakers while the men went out and brought home the bacon. None of their standards or beliefs really fit me, so I don't feel their extreme beliefs influenced me to think it was possible to be attacked.

Eventually, I want to write about another paranormal event that happened to my husband and I about a year ago, living in someone's house while they were out of state working. My husband is studying to be a PA (physician assistant) and before we met, he did not believe in ghosts. However, he was going through a tough patch and the woman in the house we were staying at was VERY negative. Let's just say that the two components did not mix very well. All sorts of things happened to us there.

As for my dad, he does not believe in ghosts; he does believe in demons. When asked, he said he knew what it was he felt in my sister's and my room that night. We hadn't really talked about it that much before the attack, and he wasn't one to just jump to the conclusion that was what I was yelling about. We lived out in the country and mice and all sorts of things have gotten in bed with me. He didn't know if someone had broken in to the house through our bedroom window. But he said he just knew what it was and his protective instinct rose up in him, which gave him the courage to fight back with faith. I've always felt protected by him.

My sister has a gift of seeing spirits. She's reported seeing them her whole life. She's never been one to lie, so I believe her. We both have abilities, and the only time I've seen an actual spirit was when I was about six or seven years old. I was in Tennessee with my family visiting my aunt and I was laying in bed with my grandmother. I awoke late at night and saw an older man sitting in the rocking chair in one of the corners just staring at us. I don't remember being afraid, but very curious. Later when my grandmother and I were going through old pictures, I saw a photo of the man I saw in that bedroom, leaning on an old car. I told my grandmother I had seen him and she just brushed it off. She didn't believe in ghosts, either. Other than that, I basically just feel things. I feel what people are feeling, can sometimes be so in tune that I can read other's minds, and I have had premonitions and dreams that have come true. Like I said, though, I don't try to bring these things on. I like my life without the drama. I'm glad I have a place to come and share.
Shell1982 (70 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
Hi Elle0309,

I'm a scientist too - nice to know I'm not the only one around here! I am ruthlessly sceptical, myself, although a few weird things have happened to people I know that I really can't account for. I might post them some time.
I really don't understand what happened to your friend in the church. It sounds like the pastor and the elders knew something that you didn't, the way they all came running, which makes me wonder if there something going on (not necessarily supernatural) that no one told you about as you were quite young.
It's very, very interesting that your sister saw the "spirit" that you felt was trying to possess you. I do just wonder though - I don't suppose she told you what she had seen BEFORE you told her what you had experienced? If not, she could have pretended to have seen to make you feel better, or to be dramatic (that's the kind of thing my own sister would do all the time, haha, which is why I ask!), or even just honestly convinced herself she had seen it when in fact she hadn't. This is important, because without your sister's witness testimony, there is nothing about your description of that event that suggests anything other than an episode of sleep paralysis to me. OK, so your dad said the room was cold, but it WAS the middle of the night so the heating would have been off. And presumably your dad didn't spend much time in your room in the middle of the night, so he wouldn't really know whether it was any colder than was usual at that hour?
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
Elle0309,

I was captivated by your account of what occurred between your friend and yourself. I am one of those people that believes there are no coincidences in life, especislly when the resolution to the problem comes naturally. That's what I see in your experience. Your friend never did mention what she was experiencing to you. And other than her breaking down in tears at your dinner table, you hadn't a clue whatsoever of her suffering. This seems more real just for that reason. She didn't come to you with any wild assertions or fantastic tales. That is what I find the most fascinating in cases such as yours. The way things fall into place as if directed to do so.
Did your friendship develope naturally? If so, it seems you may have been drawn together out of fate...
Just a thought...

Jav 😊
YellowRose (1 stories) (12 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
This must have been absolutely horrible for you elle0309, Well done for managing to call for help when you did, because if it was me, I wouldn't know what to do. Also, I completely agree with your comment, we are not here to answer to people, we are all here for the same reason. To share & help eachother. I enjoyed reading your experience, even though it was frightfully terrifying. P.s Your work sounds amazing 😊
Elle0309 (2 stories) (39 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-02-17)
I just want to say thank you to those who kept their comments respectful and gave me the benefit of the doubt. I don't have a problem with people digesting and processing my experience with doubt. It is never wise to accept something off cuff. However, I'm not going to justify my story or background with someone who is going to be acerbic in their comments. I would have thought it interesting that someone in my field would venture onto a site like this and be honest about something that happened to them.

My reason for sharing my story was to give comfort to those who would get what they need from it. Also, I am interested in starting a dialogue concerning science and its treatment of the paranormal-as long as it is respectful.

As far as me practicing pseudoscience: that is hardly the case. I have been involved in global health research, studied various cultures pertaining to medicine (infectious disease), and now practice as a molecular biologist. I do not go on paranormal investigations-but I have had my own experiences. I am interested in reading about people's experiences to help me process my own. I am open to answering questions to the best of my ability concerning science and the paranormal, but I won't respond to rude comments.
ZiShu (281 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-17)
Moongrim
I have scientist friends that do not use science terminology nor do they have to always document everything in a scientific way. They have the degree and certification to prove what they are.
They can speak like a scientist if they want.
Since when was there a rule that scientists must fit the stereotype or act a certain way?
If you always want to use scientific terms, I got a feeling you have some type of superiority complex.
This is a completely bias opinion so in other words it fails.
Human Science and the paranormal does not agree with each other nor can it always be applied.
That could be a reason why she chose not to write this in a scientific approach.
Since when can a single person have such an open mind that it falls out to what others have seen as well around her while they all have different brains. You aren't making sense yourself.

Elle0309
Just be strong. The spirit world isn't one to be feared. We only begin to fear things we do not understand. We also have fear if we know we are in danger. Always remember Jesus's name if it were to occur to you again. Take the actions taken by the ones in your stories for examples to help you out.
Raftingirl (2 stories) (113 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-17)
Moongrim ~ that's a bit harsh!

She was sharing an experience with us, that may have been difficult to convey. Who knows what other thoughts came into play during the writing of it. Some people are more verbose than others and will share all that extra stuff.

Her sister saw it too - and possibly her Dad did as well.

Elle0309 - I'm glad you escaped (in more ways than one) - and wish you all the best. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-02-17)
Ok. You claim to be a Scientist, but no where do you use any of the terminology that a Scientist would, or for that matter, attempt to document your account in the way a real scientist would.

At no point do you attempt to falisfy your experience or use a single point of logic.

I'm going to go out on a short limb here and state that you're not a real scientist, or you're more of a pseudo-scientist, if not someone who is annoyed that Scientists refuse to acknowledge something you feel is very real.

It's one thing to have an open mind, but not to the point of having such an open mind one's brains fall out.

Http://www.logicalfallacies.info/
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-02-17)
I believe that negative atracts negative that's just the way it works.So,you are right your negative feelings served to bring it to you it feeds on it. Its a good thing you were able to get your fathers attention when you did I hate to think of what could have happened. Wow very creepy!
WReck72 (1 stories) (116 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-17)
I keep typing and retyping what I want to say in response to this post but I can not find the words to express the horrible sensations and emotions that are evoked be being present for such an event. I really want to comment and explain how horrible being near something like that can feel but I can not. The only thing I can come up with is the fear you feel for a split second when you fall and know there's nothing you can do but wait to hit the ground, but not having any ground to hit just a sinking hopeless and helpless sensation drug out for much longer and after the fact you're still left with a horrible uneasy feeling. There's a lot more I would like to say but I have been working on this tiny bit for over an hour and I really can't keep thinking about it but that fact that people think these things do not exist or worse that they are something that they can play with just for fun to see what happens is terrifying I guess, but the word terrifying seems joyful compared to what I actually want to say.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
Scientists should be the people most open to the paranormal, even if they don't accept the traditional interpretation of them. I mean, germs must have seemed paranormal before they were properly understood right? I believe that religious services & religious contemplation often create what appear to be supernatural occurrences. In this case the symptoms are quite similar to mass hysteria in which suggestion & emotion combine to create very real physical experiences.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: