You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Man With No Legs

Real Ghost Stories

The Man With No Legs

 

This happened about a year ago while I was staying at my friend's house in Scotland. Now my friend's house is huge and creepy with knights in armour and big marble statues.

One night while staying in one of many guest bedrooms I couldn't sleep. I kept randomly feeling freezing cold and then boiling hot and I had stomach cramps. I was just about to get up and complain when I saw the weirdest thing. A man walking around the room but he had no legs up to his knees. It looked like he was walking around on stumps. I couldn't move! After what felt like hours, I ran to the bathroom and was sick. Also when I looked in the mirror I was pale and clammy and my eyes looked scary and crazy.

I came down later in extreme panic. As I ran down the stairs I shouted for them to come. I repeated the tale to them and I could see the laughter in their eyes. The only person to listen was a close friend of mine called Tara who watched me with eyes like saucers. She was so interested that she offered to help me find out who this person was and why he had no legs.

Later we looked up the old documents of the house and what we found was strange. It turns out that not that long ago the house had had it floor raised by two feet to create more space in the room below. After I thought about it, the things he had been wearing and the wat his hair had been cut had been old fashioned. We came to the conclusion that he had to have lived here before the floor had been raised.

So it turned out that he actually had legs. The reason I had not seen them was that he had been walking on the ghost floor two feet below my carpet. A few months after this happened, I was told that this happened again to another guest later in the year but he saw this man in the daytime. Soon after he got ill, vomiting, temperature, fainting and having fits.

Please comment on these strange events.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, baggytrousers121, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Micha_1998 (1 stories) (16 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-19)
What a great story, thanks for sharing! Perhaps the man was angry that the floor got raised, and made people feel sick and have fits so they would leave the house, so he could have the house to himself again.
Also, it could be possible with what [at] unknown_madness said. Perhaps he died that way and wanted you to feel that way aswell, as to make you feel guilty or something? 😐 Good luck!
Micha ❤
unknown_madness (8 stories) (36 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
i love it when I read stories from England because I'm English too! I think that the man you saw died the way you were feeling. For intance you were sick and the other guest was faint and had fits. Well maybe the ghost man could of died of illness and maybe a fit.
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
This was a great read and scared + confused me thinking of the man with no legs. Great ending-got me thinking.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
Hi baggy, I too have heard of a similar occurence, but in England. Why can't the same sort of thing happen in different parts of the world? Residual haunts don't know any better! I totally believe you! 😐
huendchen (49 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-18)
This story has been retold in some form or another so many times. I don't believe you one bit.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-17)
That was a creepy experience.

I have a question, if the spirit was walking on the ghost floor - would it be possible to see his legs on the ceiling of the lower level?
And what would it be creepier - to see a ghost without legs or a pair or legs without a body?

Thanks for sharing your story.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-17)
Nysa,

You may be onto something... If an individual is extremely sensitive to... Say electromagnetic fields... And it takes a large 'charge' to enable the playback then it maybe possible that baggytrousers and the other individual experienced feeling ill due to this high electromagnetic field. Some of the side effects are nausea, nervous tension, the feeling of being watched.

So it is possible that a strong enough 'field' could make someone physically sick. I know that strong magnets give my wife horrible headaches so it's not such a stretch about these individuals getting sick. It's a good theory anyway.

Respectfully,

Rook
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
Or perhaps the ill feelings are the result of whatever condition makes the residual "playback." We often assume that a trigger is needed to cause a residual haunting to appear. It makes sense to me that whatever that variable is could also have a tangible effect on people in the area.
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-16)
baggytrousers121: This an absolute classic example of Residual Haunting at its finest, the house sounds as though it has a lot of history to it very interesting. I understand that you were frightened it is not an everyday thing that you have witnessed.

The feelings you experienced would relate probably to how the the figure may have been feeling prior to their death perhaps maybe died of a fever or disease perhaps because of the hot and cold sweats you experienced, just a thought. 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: