You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Door Bell Rings In The Night, When There Was No Power

Real Ghost Stories

Door Bell Rings In The Night, When There Was No Power

 

I am from Kerala, which is of course known as "God's Own Country" in tourism circles and the State Government brands it as it is. This incident happened very long ago, around 19 years ago. I was doing my Pre-Degree or what you would call 10+2 or High School at that time. I don't exactly recollect the date when this occurred.

In Kerala and I think in most of India, there are periodic disruptions of electricity, termed as "Load Shedding," which is done to maintain the stability of the electricity distribution network.

It was around 9:30 pm and the Load Shedding was in process. I was sitting in the living room, reading a magazine. My dad was also there, reading a novel. My sister was in her bedroom, my youngest sister, a baby at the time, was sleeping in the master bedroom and my stepmom was in the kitchen.

Suddenly the calling bell/doorbell rang. My dad got up to open the door, so did I, to see who had come. There was no one out there. We found it a little strange.

We had this crazy dog who was a Doberman Pinscher, which had the habit of leaping on the doors and windows to play with us. But at this time all the dogs (we had 3 dogs) were in their kennels and couldn't have jumped and hit the bell switch by chance. Then my sister and my stepmom came out to ask who had rung the bell.

It was then when we realized that there was no electricity/power!

How the HELL did the BELL RING? We got spooked. I felt a chill go down my spine.

My dad, who is an agnostic or you could call him a calm-headed man, took the torch and went around the house and found no one. The we had realized that the main gate was LOCKED too. By this time we had gotten spooked and decided to stay inside the house. Even after the power returned, I was not able to sleep.

I have never forgotten this incident, which happened around 19 years back. Could it have been a build up of static electricity or something like that? I don't know. But it was sure spooky.

Other hauntings by AzraelX

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AzraelX, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

su_yo (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-19)
AzraelX hey but you said there was no current that means load shedding... Then how can you read a magazine and your dad novel... Is there was any candle? And if yes it gives light to read both of you. Good yaar... But I think its to difficult to read under candle what say friends? But the storie was mind blowing
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-04-11)
IMPathan - watch the rudeness, okay? You can make your point, or ask you questions, without being rude.

Believe it or not, you can read without electricity, if you are determined enough. There are such things as candles and flashlights/torches. I'm not answering for the o/p, I'm just giving you a couple of examples.

But seriously, watch your tone because next time, I won't be so nice. 😐
sanjeevgeorge (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
Well, for the bell part, there are calling bells that work even without electricity. They can be battery powered and will ring even when the power is off.

And for whoever rung it, well who knows? The history behind that house, the events in that area...
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-22)
Thank you Fergie! I consider that a great complement. I am not always so reasonable in the midst of a frightening experience but I do insist on looking at it logically after my flight instinct settles down. 😁
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-22)
Trust Nysa to come up with a logical explanation! 😊 I think we should call you 'The Voice of Reason'. No malice intended, I promise you! You are just so...Logical! 😐
You must have quelled many fears, in your time.
Azrael, You must have got quite a fright. I would have! 😨
adsouza (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-22)
Hi AzarelX,
I had a similar problem a few years ago at my farmhouse. Upon investigating, I realized that my dogs were elsewhere, and there was a big rat that traveled down the drain pipe, crossing over the bell switch. The logic of static electricity is fair, and I know sometimes electronics work. In my case, it was a rat that was the culprit...
;-)
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
AzraelX - can you remember if anything else of a paranormal nature happened around that time? If not, I am inclined to go with Nysa's explanation - an electronic device discharging remaining stored power. However, nonetheless, I'm sure it was quite spooky at the time.
Nysa (4 stories) (685 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
A lot of electronic devices hold a charge for a while after the power to them has been cut & it is not unusual for them to give a short burst of activity when that last bit of power goes from it. It is the kind of thing that makes us jump but it's perfectly normal, no ghosts required.
AzraelX (8 stories) (115 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
The house is still with me.
But I have given it out on rent.
No, the Calling bell was wired into the electric supply. Not on batteries.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
I live in India. In our country, the door bells with battery support are a rarity. I could realise how AzraelX could have felt at that time. I do agree with Andre and anneke8 that it is some kind of activity. Are you living in the same house? Thanks AzraelX for sharing your experience
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
I don't know about a static build up, it certainly doesn't sound like a normal evening of events, I'll bet you were spooked though!
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
Yes, Andre, I just thought of the same thing now.
At my home, when the batteries went flat, the bell would make such a funny, slow sound 😊
When I moved in, I could not stand that sound, and I cut the cord, and six years later, it still doesn't work. If mine would ring now, I will be VERY worried 😆
Azrael, I heard of many people telling that their doorbells rang, or someone knocked on the door, and when they open, there is no one there. I'm sure it could have been some or other 'activity'. Once when I was visiting my friend, someone knocked on the door. When we opened up, there was no one. Funny thing is, it was raining cats and dogs, but there was NO wet footprings...
andre (1 stories) (18 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-21)
im not sure how the door bell works in your home but many door bells I have had run on batteries. Both the button as well as the chime.
If yours does run on electricity well then maybe you had a little activity.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: