You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Acorn, my Feline Ghost Alarm

Real Ghost Stories

Acorn, my Feline Ghost Alarm

 

Early fall 2002, I was sleeping peacefully through the night. Dreaming about obscure and pointless drama. When the sound of something I can not easily describe in words (imagine a sound similar to an ambulance siren and a squirrel being crushed by a mac truck combined, with the volume up all the way) I, being a very light sleeper, and suffering from insomnia, woke up immediately. Standing, now fully awake, I entered the hall to investigate the sound which had quieted and become a series of erratic hissings. The noise was obviously coming from my cat Acorn. The puffy calico was stanced for a fight at the gate which separated the staircase from the hall way.

Following my little kitty's gaze I observed what appeared to be a large dog peering his head over the gate. Knowing full well that we had at the time, 4 dogs living in the house, I assumed it was one of them. The animals size had not even entered my mind. Acorn saw me and bolted into my bedroom. I turned and looked at her as she was now hidden behind the dresser, still hissing. Turning back to the stairs the dog was gone. My curiosity had now gotten up its courage and I realized that it had been a rather large dog.

Going downstairs to investigate I discovered that all 3 of our dogs were asleep, undisturbed by the commotion. My younger sister had been sleeping on the sofa and was now awake also.

"Was that your cat making that noise?" she asked a little bewildered.

"yeah, there was a dog at the top of the stairs... Did Michelle's dog come out of her room at all?"

I figured it had to be him he was the largest and acorn hated him.

"No Michelle took him with her to Angela's...", There was the answer to that question.

My sister looked at me and I back at her, neither of us knowing exactly what to say. "Well I'm going back to bed..." I turned and went back upstairs still a little confused about what had just happened.

In the back of my mind I knew that it had been a ghost dog or something else just a supernatural, but seeing no obvious answers to be found that night, I went back to bed.

The next day I was not surprised to find out that acorns antics had awoken more than just my sister and I, and my mother was quite displeased at the notion of a magical ghost dog throwing my cat into fits of feline hysteria. From that point on acorn was ordered to stay in my room at nights... And after all she'd been through, I think she was obliged to accommodate.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Massachusetts

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, mandakitten, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-11)
I agree-what a wonderful protector. Even though Acorn hid under the dresser, she made sure whatever was at the gate did not waken you, she did. She alerted you to something out of the normal and made sure you were awake and ready.

Thanks for sharng your story!

God Bless!
Raven_CT (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-07-21)
Hi, Manda- You may have a cat sensitive-- Some animals see, or sense, the paranormal better than others, much as humans. Keep an eye on Acorn, watch what she does. She may well react to other entities or events. Obviously the cat loves you & is protective of you, even though she hid under the dresser - what a wonderful companion!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: