You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Please Shut The Door

Real Ghost Stories

Please Shut The Door

 

I work at a nursing home, recently transferred to the oldest part of the home. It is about 50-years-old and a lot of people have passed away in that part of the building.

Today at work I had just followed a resident to breakfast and was turning back to clean the room after morning toilette when I saw a gray shadow "slide" in and slam the door in my face! Freaking out, I called one of my co-workers and told her what just happened. She was really calm, even smiling. She said, "Oh, you met our 'Lady of the House'." She told me that they think it is a resident that passed but never left. The ghost is harmless but likes shutting doors and sometimes hides things.

She then went on to tell me more things that sometimes happen. In one room she told me that a cat sometimes is heard purring. The lights in some rooms turn on by themselves.

"There is nothing evil about these spirits," she said. But some people don't like it there (me included, as I'm afraid). After that I cleaned the room really fast, and went on with my job.

I would like to know more about the things she told me, but that experience today really freaked me out and I'm afraid that I can't do my job if I'm scared all the time. I also am curious because thinking back it didn't feel "evil." I just don't know enough about ghosts.

Can they hurt me? Will they hurt me? Why are they there? I mean, the residents are really old and most of them are at peace with their passing on. I have seen a lot of beautiful "passings" because the old often want to "pass."

Often in their last breath I have heard them saying, "Hi, Mom/Dad/Darling" and then pass in peace. So why haunt a nursing home?

Other hauntings by herohead

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, herohead, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

jerryhend1 (3 stories) (136 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-20)
somtimes, like with you they just want to say goodby, but we don't see it like that, my mom work in such a place and no one wants to die alone, but she was there for them and they passed nicely, if there is such a word...
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
forget the whole orb thing. Anything from dust, hair, light can cause an orb to pop up in a photo.
I recall a family member who passed away last year. He was in the hopital trying to figure out why he was sick. He called his wife in a panick- when she got to the hospital, he told her he was just visited by his parents- who have been dead for many years. He got the idea that he would soon die- and he did so late that very night. Early 50's, not even in the ICU.
herohead (2 stories) (61 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
Oh okay zzgranny. Will remember that.
Anyone have advise on how to take good pictures of orbs?
With or without flash?
Can I just use my phone? (iphone 4s)

Im getting braver even considering taking a night shift...

Hero
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
herohead: Though we'd love to read your friends' stories, the submission guidelines state that the story has to be a personal experience, the only exception are those from close family members... I wouldn't want you to go to the trouble of typing them up, only to be rejected 😆...

But I suggest you keep a journal of all your experiences, and submit it that way...And, have your coworkers submit their own stories! 😆
herohead (2 stories) (61 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
First let me thank you for all the good comments, they calmed me down.
I have been talkin more with my coworkers and maybe ill post some of their storys as well.
On a different note, we have a digital picture frame at work, now I have had a closer look at all our pictures and sure enough there is white orbs in a lot of these pictures. I can't say that it for certain is ghost orbs, but in atleast one picture there is no light exept from the flash and there is a very bright ball of light above the resident in the picture. Of course I can't post any of the beacause of privacy issues.
I will try takingy own pictures instead and if I'm lucky ill post them.

Thx for helping me and reading.
Regards Hero
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
Why haunt a nursing home you ask? I doubt anyone could say for sure, but I have come to the conclussion that given many people's beliefs some may fear judgement. Or maybe its simply a case of mule headed denial. When living people do things that make no sense, fear and desperation are often at the root of the problem. Would we act any differently when we are dead? I am not so sure.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
herohead: Nursing homes/hospitals are notorious for being haunted... It only makes sense because of what goes on in those places: deaths, births, etc... I hate hospitals, but I don't know anyone who really likes them 😆...

The words Fergie's Dad used are ones I used with my own kids..."We have more to fear from the living than the dead"...I agree that a little "Hello" or "good-night" would go a long way to help you deal with your fear...

Please keep us posted!
anneke8 (10 stories) (274 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
I am more afraid to see someone die, than I am of any
Ghost! If you're not afraid of that, then you ARE a strong person! You will get used to itMy granny also (like Fergie's dad) said that you don't have to fear the dead, you must fear the living.
SqueakyGirl5 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-25)
Hi!
I think that you have nothing to worry about at all. Some people will tell you that spirits can't hurt you, and others will get dramatic and tell you that every ghost is hostile, but the truth is--majority of these lingering spirits are just going about their business. It sounds like this Lady of the House is quite a character; she's just attached to her old place, her old habits, and seems to like the building cleaned up her own way. Unless things get violent, I think you and the others are perfectly fine.
It wouldn't hurt to just say 'hello' now and again to the spirits there--they probably enjoy the company.:)

~S.
Serendipity (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-25)
No, I would agree completely. There is nothing there to fear. At worst, there is the residue of someone just seeking to remind people that they existed. It's a bit sad, really, actually. If there is consciousness there, then it must be terribly frustrating to be so stuck. But in a nursing home, with so many at the end of their life, it is the sort of place where one would imagine lingering spirits might stop for a while.

But don't be scared. It's interesting, but there's nothing that is offering a threat to you personally. If you don't just get used to it, maybe it would be worth trying to find out what is preventing whoever it is from passing over.

But re people who are dying seeing their loved ones, I know that is a really common phenomena. I am in two minds re how much oxygen starvation and the natural protective processes of the body are involved in that, but I spoke to a doctor about it only quite recently. And I was quite surprised that it is that common, and that it is generally understood that when loved ones have been seen then it is a sign that "whoever" is likely to die soon afterward. And that includes when it wasn't previously expected that they would.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-25)
Hi herohead, My dad always used to say "The dead will not harm you, but beware of the living!" 🤔
The old people that 'pass', do not mean to scare you, & you have nothing to fear from them. It is most probably, that they are so used to the home, that they are loath to move on. Old people get into a 'routine' & it is hard to get out of it! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: