You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Fourth Street Visit

Real Ghost Stories

Fourth Street Visit

 

In the autumn of 1997, I rented a friend's older small home located in mid-town Tulsa. She moved out to live and care for her elderly father. Her mother had just passed away about 2 weeks before from a long battle with cancer.

Before I was to move in, my landlord friend, myself and two others (Jane & her husband) came in one weekend to repaint the interior. The house was complety empty, not a stick of furniture or appliance in the whole place. We had the windows open to air out the house because the carpet cleaning detergent and the paint fumes were strong, but not overpowering or toxic.

We had been painting since late morning. Around 4:00pm we decided we were getting hungry. So while we waited for a pizza to be delivered we continued to paint, when we started to feel it getting cold and sort of breezy. We figured it's because the windows are open and here it is the middle of October, no wonder. So we closed all the windows and the house began to warm up a little.

We sat down on the floor to visit; the pizza was due any minute. Jane got up to go to the bathroom, just around the corner from the living room. When Jane came back she stopped in the door way and said "Who put on perfume?" We laughed at her and said none of us had. She said, "No Really, who just bathed in perfume?" We laughed again and said no one had put on any perfume, that all we smell is paint. Jane said, "No way, come here one of you, can't you smell it?" One at a time each of us got up but none of us could smell anything like perfume, but she could and she said it was getting stronger. That's when the pizza came, so we forgot about it.

While we were eating, picnic style in the middle of the living room Jane said "That is so weird! I can't smell the perfume anymore." I asked; could she smell the pizza, she said yes, how about the paint, she said yes she could.

That's when she said "I recognize it now, it was Giorgio" she knew that because it wasn't one of her favorite scents. My landlord friend literally blanched (hard to do being full blood Cherokee) and choked, spitting pizza and squirting Coca-Cola through her nose. We all started slapping her on the back, trying not to laugh, but not for long.

When she caught her breath she said "Oh my Gawd you guys! My mom wore Giorgio! All the time; she would never leave home without putting some on". Needless to say we ate really fast, washed out the paint brushes and locked up for the night. I guess my friend's mom, Rose came by to supervise and to inspect the place. There were other things that happened while I lived there. But I'll share those another time.

Thanks for reading.

Other hauntings by MaryLilac

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Oklahoma

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MaryLilac, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-14)
Another very good story, MaryLilac! They say that the sense of smell is the greatest form of memory so it seems fitting Rose would choose this way to let her presence be known. I'm hoping you'll soon share with us those other stories you have. Thanks very much for sharing this one.
Ibelieveheshere (2 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-12)
I remember one summer I was sit at desk in my bedroom Looking at the computer then something smell funny I remember that smell and hit me that it's my father's ciggerette marbobla brand.
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-03)
I would like to share one more thing. My husband and I were called to help prepare for the funeral of a baby girl that died she was not quite 2years old and the only child of the family we went to help. This baby was running a fever so the mother took her to the hospital because she had another medical problem to much growth hormone and so she was big for her age and had trouble breathing at night the mother gave the baby the fever medicine and checked in on her before sunrise right before the morning prayers and found the baby had died. I was there to comfort the mother and so remind her of the belief in Islam that her baby will be waiting at the gates of Paradise for her. Well once we reached home I was by our garage when a cool breeze touched my face and the most beautiful fragrance came to me it was so beautiful only lasted a moment and then both the scent and the breeze were gone as quickly as they came but there was a feeling that remained that the baby was at peace. I agree the scent that you can get from the after life is amazing. Thank you for sharing and bringing back to me such a special memory!.
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-04-03)
That was an interesting story I think your friends mom just came to visit but, even though there was no threat involved, a visit from a diciest relative can be very scary I know your friend felt better later on and maybe even comfort after her initial fright when she came to feel it was her mother. I really liked your story thanks for sharing!.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
I'm not surprised your friend felt bathed in the sent of Georgio. My Mother wears this and my Mamere (who has passed) used to wear this perfume and it always seems/seemed like they bathed in it. It's such a strong smell.
I'm pretty sure this is a popular perfume for the older generation. I agree with Serendipity that it may have had nothing ghostly and could have just been a smell soaked into the flooring or walls over time. Not hard to believe due to the strong smell of this particular perfume.
It could have been your friend is just more sensitive to pacific smells and caught a good wif at the right time and place left over from the flooring and walls.
😕
PS I so don't like the smell of this perfume... Lol 😠
MaryLilac (4 stories) (7 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
Thank you Miracles51031, Argette, zzgranny, Darkness and DragonStorm80 I appreciate your very kind feedback.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
I agree with Serendipity on this one. Having the scent of her mothers favorite perfume come through is not so surprising. It's having everyone freak out over it that get's me.

Jav
Serendipity (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
And just for the record, there are some issues re all things to do with the sense of smell that most people seem to be unaware of. And all such stories and experiences should therefore be seen in the slightly adapted light of there being huge disparities between what different people are actually able to smell. It isn't like sight where parameters are routinely measured. But even re something as hugely important in our lives as sight, some people go their whole lives not realising they are colour blind, because they have nothing to compare their more limited experience with. And after late discovery the surprise and shock can be quite traumatic because they were "that" sure that they must be seeing the same as everyone else. But when there is obviously no way to be able to borrow someone else's eyes to see the difference in experience, that's what can happen. People just don't know. And the same is true re the sense of smell, only more so. Because it isn't as important to us as animals any more, a large proportion of the population actually don't really smell much now at all. Some (few) other people, though, are at the other end of the scale with very sensitive noses. But because one can't borrow someone else's nose to know the difference in experience, people just don't realise that there is one. And the issue isn't just about strength of smell, it is about types of smell just as there are different colours and different types of taste.

The significance of this is that it really isn't numerically surprising that only one person in a small group could be able to smell a lingering scent. And reality is that if the lady who died used a particular scent habitually, residue of that will still be in the house.

This doesn't mean that it isn't a good story, or that there is no chance that the lady who died has visited, but as "evidence" of the paranormal it is quite easy to give it a rational explanation.
Serendipity (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
Scents are surprisingly evocative, and are huge triggers re memories. And when a person is associated with a particular scent, that can indeed be very powerful.

I am curious re what the other experiences you have had in the house have been. But why the, "Needless to say we ate really fast, washed out the paint brushes and locked up for the night"? I don't entirely understand that. There was nothing scary, and I would have thought that the suggestion of her mother visiting could have been a rather moving experience for the daughter rather than one she was apparently happy to be rushed away from.
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
I've never smelt anything like that before! I think it was really sweet of your friends mum to stop by and see what was going on 😊
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-27)
MaryLilac: These are the type of experiences that I am quite fond of as they are simple and very effective in letting you know that something else exists for us after the physical death. Looking forward to hearing more from you. 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
Yeah, that should'a been "consensus"...I thought something looked funny there 😆 😆 😆
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
MaryLilac: I really like the stories that include scents, as it's something I've experienced many times... I agree with the general consencus that Rose wanted to know what was going on...

Cool story, and I'm also looking forward to more! 😊
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
Yes, I'm looking forward to more stories about this little house. You did a great job setting the scene here. The small; things like the scent of perfume are often among the scariest experiences.

And very plausible!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-26)
MaryLilac - I enjoyed your story 😊. I agree that Rose had to come supervise. Funny how Jane was the only one who could smell the perfume. Is she more "sensitive" to the paranormal than everyone else?

I look forward to more stories. Thanks for sharing this one with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: