You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: My Older Brother Kept His Promise

Real Ghost Stories

My Older Brother Kept His Promise

 

Before his death, my older brother invited the wife and I on an all night fishing/camping trip. Late that night, he and the wife began discussing the afterlife and had a disagreement on whether the spirits of the dead could communicate with the living. She believed that they can. He disagreed.

The two of them agreed that, if possible, whichever one of them "went" first would contact the other. This verbal contract was done in a joking manner, but what none of us knew is that in just 2 weeks my brother would fall victim to a brutal crime. He was murdered during a home invasion/robbery. The detectives investigating the crime secured his home as a crime scene, and removed all evidence they found, including his telephone.

I was shocked and heart-broken, and my wife was almost inconsolable.

The police released the body 3 days later, and on the 4th day, the memorial services were held.

Later that evening, the wife and I were at home crying and remembering my brother. Although it had NOT rang, she looked at her cell phone and she had a missed call. When she checked, and remember that the police had secured my brother's home and taken his phone, the missed call was MY BROTHER'S NUMBER.

My wife showed this to me, and said that a feeling of peace and comfort now overwhelmed her. She and I both slept peacefully that night, and I dreamed of him and he seemed happy. We now believe that my brother kept his promise of trying to contact her.

We'll see you again someday, Brother, in the afterlife. Maybe we'll have better luck fishing next time.

Other hauntings by Henleys

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Tennessee

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Henleys, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

mjames (2 stories) (10 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-05)
What a beautiful story. Wishing you solace from this terrible tragedy, but am glad you shared the proof of the beyond.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-03)
Henleys,
I had waited on reading your experience as I was certain it would hit me hard, I was right. My sincerest sympathies to you, your wife, and your entire family, on the loss of your beloved brother. I have no reason not to believe he actually made contact from the afterlife. He made a deal with your wife and he held to it. Simple as that. I had a similar experience when my sister passed, and had no doubts then either.
Thank you for sharing these personal details. Reading your account was like a validation of my own.❀
I am especially looking forward to your next experience as well. I have worked as a volunteer for over twenty years with Vietnam Veterans, Our local VVA chapter, the VA Hospital, and a transitional housing community the chapter helped get off the ground. I guess you could say they are 'my guys'. 😊

Jav ❀
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-03)
Sorry for your loss, I do believe that our dead loves can contact us. My adopted mother was christian and when she passed we my two son's and I were invited to the wake and funeral. It was at the wake that was only for immediate family that over by the head of the coffin there was a flower display and I saw three flowers move at the same time, there was no window open no air conditioner on and no one near the coffin. I didn't say anything just thought now that's interesting but my younger son spoke up pointing in the coffins direction he said to his older brother "hey Sha did you see that"?. Then right at the same moment my nephew said he saw the same thing. And you know my adopted mom loved flowers in her life and even grew them. So yes I truly believe our loved ones can contact us from the other side. Thank you for sharing your very special story with us.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-03)
I'm sorry for your loss and have to say that this is a beautiful story. He connected with you... And seems to be doing fine. Thanks so much for sharing this.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-03-02)
Henleys - I think I can speak for several of us here when I say we look forward to more of your stories. Your brother sounds like he was quite a manπŸ˜†

Also, speaking for myself now, I am glad the murderer was found and justice, whatever and however we individually feel about that, was served.
Henleys (3 stories) (12 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-03-02)
Thanks to all of you for your very kind comments. Your compassion let's us know that there is still hope for this sad world.
For those who are curious, the murderer was arrested within 48 hours, and although I feel his punishment was far too light, we rest well knowing that he will most likely die of old age before he completes his sentence, and that he WILL be judged accordingly when he leaves this world.
Finally, my brother was a prankster, and the wife and I were his prime targets. He occasionally let's us know he's still with us with subtle little things. Our alarm clock goes off sometimes without being set, all clocks throughout our home have been set at different times, objects have been moved, things of this nature.
So is there an afterlife? We say most absolutely and definitely YES.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3149 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
I'm sorry for your loss.

I do believe your brother called to let you know there is an afterlife and that he is fine over there.
MissyM (2 stories) (152 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
So sorry to hear about your brothers untimely departure. Your story is touching.
I have heard that if one passes close to you and you dream of them soon after there passing it is a way for your loved one to let you know that they have crossed over and are at peace.
I am not an expert nor do I think anyone can prove this but Id like to believe this is true as it has happened to me.
❀
herohead (2 stories) (61 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Wow I really believe that he reached out to comfort you both.
Stories like this one shows that love knows no boundries, it really warms my heart to read it. (read it 4 times already)

As long as we keep our loved ones in our hearts they will truly live forever.

Hero
Henleys (3 stories) (12 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Thanks again for all your kind remarks. Watch for another story I'm now writing and plan to post about another experience I've had about a high school classmate who was killed in action in Vietnam in 1969. I believe that he, too, has contacted me from the afterlife. It's kind of lengthy and hopefully it'll be posted.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Henleys: Yeah, I think in this day and age, when someone mentions "phone" we all think "cell" πŸ˜†...Thank you for clearing that up...So, see Miracles?...Our conversation was, once again, all for naught πŸ˜† πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Henleys - thank you so much for clearing that up. Sometimes we, as a collective group here, can and do assume things and are completely wrong. Please forgive us.

So unless someone broke into your brother's home again (and I sincerely apologize for that comment, but someone was bound to say it) and randomly dialed your number or did it as a cruel prank, well...

I stand by my original comment. Your wife received her confirmation and your brother held up his end of the agreement 😊
Henleys (3 stories) (12 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
To clear things up a bit, the telephone the police took as evidence was a land line, not a cell phone, so the missed call came from the phone line installed in my brother's home.
Thanks for all the kind comments.
shellzy (8 stories) (218 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Im terribly sorry for your loss Henleys. I love these touching stories. It is wonderful that this one phone call could give your brothers wife the peace that she needed 😊
DragonStorm80 (1 stories) (440 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Henleys ~ This was a really lovely story, I am very sorry for the loss of your brother in such a cruel way, but I am so glad he let you all know he is happy and at peace now
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-01)
Henleys: Wow, I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your brother, there are some real dirtbags out there I hope they get what coming to them!

I'm sure the message received was your brother letting you all know that he is fine and at peace, what a way to prove the existence of the afterlife.
I'm sure one day you will both be smashing the fishing! 😊

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
Miracles: I just see no rational reason why they would... If they were interested in the phone numbers as part of their investigation to rule out suspects, they wouldn't call them from the victim's phone... They have access to phone records without having to resort to 1980's tactics LOL! πŸ˜†
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
granny - I've been sitting here wondering why, if the phone was still charged after 4 days, a police officer would use it. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I'm speaking solely for myself here, but my family and friends' numbers are listed by their names. So why would an officer call the deceased's family, knowing there was a chance it would show up on either their cell or possibly their caller id? That's not only tactless but rude. I would also think the cell would still be locked up in evidence where it shouldn't be accessible. Just my theory.
showgirls1980 (1 stories) (9 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
Henleys - What a wonderful story and I would be first to want to believe it but I can't help thinking that maybe one of the police officers did this? Has that thought ever crossed your mind? Regards, showgirls xxx
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
Henleys: Wow, what a touching story... There may be some who will comment after me that it's possible the phone was dialed by someone at the police department, but I find that highly unlikely... The battery was probably drained by the time the call came...

I hope you get some good fishin' in too!...Thank you for posting! ❀
Tyka (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
Henleys - my condolences on the loss of your brother. What a beautiful story. Thank you for sharing it.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-02-29)
Henleys - what a wonderful, sad yes, but still wonderful story. I am so glad your brother was able, and willing πŸ˜‰, to keep his end of the agreement and let your wife know that the dead can communicate with the living. And what a way he chose to prove it πŸ˜†

Thank you for sharing this with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: