You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: What My Father Saw

Real Ghost Stories

What My Father Saw

 

I have two significant personal stories to tell, one of which I have told already as "A woman who wasn't there". And that story is absolutely true, unlike far too many of the others I have seen posted here which are either pure fiction or somewhere between wishful thinking and/or just without having considered earthly explanations. But because some of the others have been so less clearly of "paranormal", for want of a better word, origin, I will tell this story too, although I hadn't been intending to. This isn't really my story, either, although I was involved and I will obviously tell it from my perspective. But I didn't actually see anything myself.

This happened when I was a teenager, 2 or 3 days after my mother had died, and I was lying in bed in the middle of the night, but not able to sleep. And as I lay there, I was aware of the door creaking wider into the next bedroom that was accessible from mine only by a crawl space under a big beam between the two. It was my father. I heard him softly call my name in the dark, although that wasn't my room, and I was then conscious of his hesitation before he crossed the room to crouch and peer through the crawl door. I could barely see him, but he would have been able to see me better as I was facing him in a bit of moonlight from the window. And he was obviously quite shocked to see me there. "You're in bed!", he said, as if that was extraordinary.

And he then continued "Are you alright, love? Have you just been up?" I think I probably croaked a bit in answering, but I said I was fine and that, no, I hadn't been up. And he then said, rather oddly "Are you sure?" "Of course I am sure", I replied. He was then quiet for a long moment before telling me, "Everything will be alright, love. Time to go to sleep now", before he got to his feet and went back to his room. I was aware that there was something very odd about how he had spoken. He sounded quite shaken. But I did then get to go to sleep.

In the morning, I remember that my father was in the kitchen making breakfast when I came down. And I immediately asked him about the night before, because I knew something had been very odd about it. And he then told me that he had been jolted out of sleep rather suddenly, and as he had turned over to see what it was that had disturbed him, he said that there had been a figure standing in the dark at the end of the bed (moonlight would be on the other side of the house). Rather sadly, he said that he had at first momentarily forgotten that my mother had died and that in the fog of the moment, and without his glasses on, he had automatically presumed that it was her and had even spoken to her. Then, as no one replied and as realisation dawned, my father had then assumed that it had to be me instead, and presumed I was sleepwalking. So as I (as he thought) walked out of the room and down the landing, he got up to guide a sleepwalking me back to bed. He said he both saw and heard me (as he thought) move along the landing and into the room next to mine, which was where he expected to find me a few seconds later. But I was already in bed in the further room, and that was why he was so surprised to see me there.

We had a long talk about it then, discussing whether it could have been my mother coming back to make sure we were alright. Both of us would have given anything for it to have been her. But my father hadn't slept for a couple of days, and that can do odd things to your head. And I didn't see or hear anything before my father creaked the door as he entered that room. So neither of us was sure what to think about it. There is no question that he saw something that he presumed was me, that he had initially thought was my mother. But if it had really been my mother, my father thought she would have tried to communicate.

Years later, then, he did actually once say that he had really believed that she would come back if that was possible, and that he had watched for her for a long time. It pretty much destroyed his belief that it is possible at all, when she didn't. In retrospect, even though it was against his wishful thinking, he wasn't able to count this experience as the visitation he had so wanted.

Maybe it was a bit too soon, and he was too much in shock, but it was still very odd.

Other hauntings by Serendipity

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Serendipity, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Serendipity (2 stories) (20 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-09)
Casper-the-ghost...Thank you for your interest. It's appreciated. I know my father saw something, and I would love to think it was my mother. As it happens, she and I were of similar stature at the time, so it wouldn't have been too surprising to have confused us in the dark.

But in truth, it was a terrible time when my mother was diagnosed and died in the space of about 3 weeks. And I know my father hadn't slept at all for at least 2 nights and probably very little over the 3 weeks before. And although I know he saw something, I am just not sure how reliable that was in the emotionally fraught state he was in. I would like to think it was my mother, but I am just not sure enough about it given the circumstances. One can't completely negate the possibility that he was halucinating. And I also know that although my father wanted to believe it was my mother too, he didn't understand why she didn't apparently even try to communicate rather than just walk out of the room. If it had really been my mother, that is what really didn't make sense to him.

I saw something about shadow people somewhere else here, which I don't know anything much about, but which I think can be emanations in some way.

.

And Louslips... I actually started to reply to you, as if what you put wasn't just inherently mean and unpleasant, but changed my mind.
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-08)
Thank you for responding Serendipity, I understand the structure of the area now. Well If your dad thought it was you, the next person to you would be your mother so on second thoughts, I agree it was her. 😊
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-08)
Serendipity,
Please do not take this as confrontational, because it truly is not meant to be. But why are you on this site? From this account, and your responses to others', it appears that all encounters can be attributed to a temporary mental state or disorder, such as shock, PTSD, or survivor's guilt.
I personally have not suffered from any of these issues; but my experiences are many. Maybe my mental disorder is not temporary?

Lou
Serendipity (2 stories) (20 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-07)
The house was a peculair conversion and my back bedroom had its own little staircase. But for safety's sake, there needed to be another way out, so as one couldn't go through the beam, one was left with having to crawl underneath it. It was well used, that little door. Apart from anything else, it would have been a real hike to and fro from the bathroom otherwise.

But my father wasn't freaked at all by the figure. And he wouldn't have been freaked by it if my mother had come back, he would have welcomed any sign of her. He just assumed the figure was me because he knew how distressed I was, and there wasn't another option at the time. And he was only thrown from that assumption when I wasn't in that next bedroom which is where he had seen the figure go. But although he both saw it and said he heard the footsteps on the landing as well (although carpeted, it creaked), it was dark, and he didn't turn lights on because he hadn't wanted to shock me awake.

If I hadn't been the person who had been thought to have been sleepwalking (the circumstances were such that it probably wouldn't have been surprising), I would probably think that sleepwalking was still the explanation. But it really wasn't me. I had been lying there unable to sleep for ages, and I hadn't been up at all.
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-07)
I liked the story, I could visualise every thing that happened. Your bedroom is beside another bedroom and a beam is separating them-is there only 1 door? I was just confused on this. Your poor dad hope you and he are ok. I sleepwalked once at least I could of done. Wasn't sure as had gone straight back to sleep and could only remember bits of the previous night. That could of happened to you. I'm not certain it could of been your mother as why would she want to freak your dad out? I'm sure she would most likely ease your mind/make you feel happy/at peace during her visits. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: