You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: White Smoke In Darkness

Real Ghost Stories

White Smoke In Darkness

 

I guess I should start by saying that strange things have happened to me frequently ever since I was a child, but I always shrugged them off as coincidences or ignored them for the sake of my sanity. One incident, however, stands out to me among many because it was different from anything that I had ever experienced before. It happened when I was 15 years old, and is one of the most vivid experiences I've ever had.

My sophomore year of high school I was very excited come the end of March because I was participating in an annual trip my school does called "The European Trip". On these trips, anywhere from 40 to 50 students are taken for a little over a week to tour a country in Europe. That year the trip was to Greece and Italy. We spent four days in Greece and then took an overnight ferry to Italy, in which we stayed another five days.

The ferry was a good size, very modern inside and brightly lit. The only times it actually occurred to me that I was even on a boat was when my roommates and I went looking for our room, and the narrow hallways would bob with the waves. The rooms were divided with four girls in each room, and they were very small. There was a tiny bathroom with only a stand up shower, a toilet and a sink, directly across from the bathroom was one closet. There were two sets of bunk beds which were placed across from each other, and a table between them. The room did not have any windows, which made it feel even more suffocating than it already was.

When it came time to sleep, I took the bottom bunk on the left side of the room and as soon as the lights went out, the entire room became pitch black. It was so dark, I couldn't see my own hand in front of my face. That was a little unsettling admittedly, as it made me feel vulnerable in the dark since I could not see anything. I should mention that during the stay on the ferry, I did not feel "spooked out" or "nervous" or "uneasy" AT ALL, as usually happens before something supernatural occurs.

After sleeping for maybe a few hours, I woke up suddenly in the middle of the night. I wasn't jolted awake and I didn't actually hear anything, I just snapped my eyes open for whatever reason. When I opened my eyes all I could see was darkness and what looked to me like white smoke right in my face. The smoke was the only thing that I could actually make out in the darkness and as I looked down my body where I lay, I saw it was hovering above the length of my body, almost touching me. My first thought when I saw the smoke was "Oh my God, I'm blind", I literally could not see anything but blackness, and white wispy smoke that was slightly moving. I immediately turned around in the bed and turned on the light but when I turned back, the smoke was gone.

It was extremely confusing to me because if I had actually seen smoke, it should have been clearer in the light, but nothing was there. I looked up at my roommates, but they all seemed to be asleep and so I shut off the light, looked down my bed again - nothing was there- and just went back to sleep. I didn't mention what happened to any of them and still haven't. I'm not sure what it could have been, as I'm not too familiar with "smokey apparitions" or whatever you'd call it, to this day I still have not encountered anything similar to that and I was just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Italy

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Autumo, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

xristougenna (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-18)
Few months ago my Girlfriend said samething she was playing with her notebook her roommate was sleeping, she closed it and see one shadow sit upon empty bed and its smoke, she said I see him smoking and its so scare her and when she open lights there is nobody, if I tell full story my friend can angry. But something really disturb her after this. If you feel yourself stronger and when so fear think positive things you will feel better.
Autumo (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-18)
[at] Ibelieveheshere - thank you for commenting 😊 and you saw something similar to what I did? Yay, I'm not the only one! 😆
Ibelieveheshere (2 stories) (68 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-18)
I have the same thing but my not smoke more like Blob up the ceiling while I was lie in bed at night and yes it was dark and ceiling really cleans we don't know what it is though. Must be some paranormal before you came along now sure though and interest story. 😳
Autumo (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-17)
Hi thank you everyone for commenting! 😊

[at] tayperk23 - wow, your experience sounds very interesting! It must have been scary to actually see someones face after the smoke cleared! That swirling you mentioned seems just like what I saw.

[at] sds - Seeing a figure follow you around for several minutes must have been really creepy, I don't think I could take it, good thing my experiences never last too long. I have actually heard that spirits can manifest themselves as smoke before too, this was just the first time I had ever seen it.

[at] dayala_819 - I'll definitely post up another story if I do see any kind of strange smoke again! And most of what I've seen over the years have been in the form of shadows too!

Thanks again! ❤
dayala_819 (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-17)
very interesting story and a well written one!😉
I've never seen smoky figures but I have seen a shadow figure before.

Keep us posted if you do see something like that again 😊

-dani ❤
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-17)
Hi, I had similar experiences too. But, I don't know what to make of it. Recently, 4-5 days ago, I had seen for nearly 5-6 minutes in the evening one day, in the shower, then in my living room and bed room some kind of apparition or figure, which I could not fix it. It was like seeing a figure as was visible in "Predator". I thought my spectacles played some tricks on me. Then I concentrated on my eyes. But, it kept on coming. After sometime, it vanished. Again it came a couple of days ago. But I was told in our country that the spirits manifest themselves even in the form of smoke or any other form. Good narration. Keep it up.
tayperk23 (3 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-16)
Hello! Crazy story! I have not had a chance to put anything on here yet because it's temp closed or something... But I have had some similar things happen to me. Like you I have seen weird things since I was little. The "Smoke" that you are discribing I believe I have seen something similar. I was a Junior in High school, and one night after finishing homework I layed down on my bed to just relax and breath for a second. Acrossed from my bed was a small little window. I never understood why there was a window there because it was under the porch... Like when you looked out the window you were looking under the porch. Well I was kind of just looking at that window while just relaxing, when I saw this weird "Smoke" looking thing swirling in front of the window 😕 I just continued staring at it while it continued to swirl around and around the window... Then it kind of went away and there was a man's face looking at me threw the window... Yeah I ran out of there and I made my dad put a perminant blind to cover it! Lol There was no way a man could have fit under that porch... Our cat could barely climb under there. I think that there are always going to be weird things that you can't really explain WHAT is was but... They do happen. Cool story! 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: