You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: I Put A Spell On You

Real Ghost Stories

I Put A Spell On You

 

This story starts 20 years after my parent's return from Italy. They had recently divorced, and I was living with my mom in our old house in Brazil. The mood at home was not great, as we mourned the death of our old family life. My mom did her best to keep us entertained, and things seemed to slowly be getting better.

It all started one day when we were both in her room, discussing how much quieter the house was, now that we were the only two people living there. Suddenly, we heard a crash in the living room. We stood up to take a look, thinking the cat had broken something. We couldn't find the source of the noise, so we just started walking back to her bedroom, only to see our black cat crawling out from under her pillow as we got in.

In the next weeks, other little weird occurrences got our attention. Every time I was watching TV late at night, I would see a silhouette walking up the stairs through the frosted glass wall that separated the TV room from the rest of the house, and minutes later I would be scared to realize no one had actually walked in.

I would sometimes hear our heavy wooden windows opening and closing downstairs, and later discover I was alone at home. Little objects were being moved, like keys turning up in weird places or rings, pens. I didn't think much of it then, because these are things that we used every day and misplacing them wasn't such an absurd concept. My mom didn't really tell me her opinion about any of those incidents either, since she knew how strongly I felt about all things paranormal.

One day, my mom and I were on the internet picking a movie to see, and a really loud crash startled both of us. We went in the next room to see our pink marble center table was split in half. A two inch thick piece of stone had just broken, and we were the only living things in the house, other than a tiny cat that had been with us all along. That's when my mom decided to take action.

Being the experienced medium she was, she had a small session in our living room to try to "talk" any of the spirits that seemed to be trying to get our attention into leaving the house. I didn't want to get involved in any of it, so I went to see the movie alone and came back later to ask how it went. Apparently, these spirits didn't really care much about conversation.

Things seemed to stop for a little while, until one day my mom got really sick. The cat and she were throwing up constantly; they were both showing signs of exhaustion even after a whole night's sleep. The once loud and playful kitty would stay in bed all day long, and my mom would only leave for work, just to come back and rest some more. Needless to say, they were sleeping on the same bed and showing very similar symptoms. Electronic appliances we owned started to malfunction regularly, but when we took them to any technicians to get them fixed, they would show no signs of having ever been broken. The TV, my computer, the DVD, it happened to all of them at least twice.

After two weeks of this, Mom decided her bed was the problem. It was just one of those things that happen when you live with an experienced medium: she woke up, and KNEW she had to get rid of the bed. I tried to convince her of how irrational that all sounded, but she would hear none of it. We went shopping for a new one right away, and were happy to find out it would be delivered that same afternoon.

When the delivery team started disassembling my mom's huge wooden bed, a little surprise startled us... There was a huge, 70-pound piece of coal inside her bed's structure.

My mom looked at it, and got very quiet. She asked the movers to wrap it in plastic and not touch it directly, and put it in her car. It seemed like the rock was made to fit her bed, it was shaped perfectly like the complicated set of columns that would hold the mattress in place. And it was pretty big.

We had moved in the house 2 years prior to the incident, so we were pretty sure it wasn't there when we assembled the bed. We had done it ourselves, and no one had been in her room long enough to dismantle the bed and put it in since. We took the stone to the spiritualist center she usually went to, and they got rid of it for us. There, we learned that coal sometimes appeared near people that were victims of "spells" and rituals of some African religions still very common in Brazil, such as Candomblé (I will post some interesting experiences with shamans from this religion later) or as manifestation of really strong entities.

After we got rid of it, both mom and the cat were in great shape, like they had never been sick in the first place. Our appliances were all working just fine, the noises and weird incidents didn't ever happen again, and we went back to our normal lives.

Two weeks later, I met the woman my dad had been going out with. She seemed ok, although a little bit jealous of my dad's old family, and seemed to have asked my father a lot about my mother and I. Guess what religion did she practice?

Other hauntings by CityGal

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, CityGal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-07-11)
Very interesting... We can only speculate about how she/they [the new girlfriend] got the coal in there but... Where there's a will, there's a way and where there's an African voodoo-type religion... There might be some help to that end as well [invisibility glamour, talisman, etc.] I completely believe your story and have had a voodoo curse object found and removed from my home by a friend from Texas [my mom was the one who found it under the sink.] It was a smaller bone, probably a vertebra, painted in multi colors with hair attached to it...gross. My friend from Texas took it out back and smashed it to bits by stomping on it. He couldn't quote you voodoo chapter and verse about why it was bad news but he knew enough to know it was and had the determination to crush it. We had had a house guest from a Cuban tradition of voodoo whom I had met in New Orleans. What a mistake that was... But that's another story.
MizMiMi02 (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
Interesting read, great narration. I am curious how a 70 lb piece of coal would be in the bed, without noticing someone putting it there. Any theories on how she may have gotten it there? Also, was the activity in the house caused by the coal? Just try to piece together a bit more info. Great story though!
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-20)
I believe your story, and I am glad you are not taking what silent Bob says to heart. I think the woman that got involved with your father was very jeliouse forgive my misspelling, but she didn't like your mother and decided to do something about it. I'm glad your mother got wise to it in time. Thank You so much for sharing!.
Eazy-E (1 stories) (11 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-03-18)
You should've kept the coal because Ina million years it would be one big diamond!:)
dayala_819 (1 stories) (36 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-17)
Great story and great narration! 😊
I believe people would do something like this though I can't fully understand when your dad's ex-girlfriend put that BIG piece of coal in your mom's room... XD
Anyways I'm glad your mom realized what was going on and that you, your mom, and your cat are now doing well😁.

-dani ❤
adsouza (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-17)
Citygal - Great narration!
SDS - Have to agree with you. Where I live now, people actually worship certain deities that supposedly help with desired results. I might just share an experience sometime soon about a similar thing that happened with a friend.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-17)
Citygal, a great narration indeed. In our society in India, we do come across such hauntings being sent to tarnish others physically and mentally. Fortunately you have got rid of the negative energy. Nice experience and yes, you are good in your narrative. Keep posting your experiences including about the Candombl
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-16)
CityGal!
Yes! You have returned with another great telling I see.
I just love the way you tell your experiences. And the ending to this one made me shake my head. Why was she not satisfied with what she had?
Can you imagine the trouble she went through getting that hunk of coal in just the right size to fit in there without anyone noticing? I'll bet she was surprised to find out your mother was no fool, eh? I have to laugh when I think of her trying to figure out why it wasn't working. 😆
Thank you CityGal. I can't wait for the next one.

Jav ❤
SHOGUN_ASSASSIN (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-16)
Wow that is pretty creepy a 70 lb piece of coal I wouldn't like that. SOunds like a tough divorce
snowhite (203 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-16)
I am glad your mother is doing fine, but how come it takes so long for her as a medium to figure out what is going on? Your dad's new girlfriend is a witch to me.
Grimm-Reaper24 (1 stories) (31 posts)
-4
12 years ago (2012-03-16)
maybe it was really santa, you know the stories of how santa will put a lump of coal into a person's stocking... Maybe since it wasn't christmas time yet, he did a little fly by and put a lump of coal in the bed instead. Lol
ngute80 (220 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-16)
I really like your story and I also find it believable. Like Miracles I also love reading stories from others cultures and learning new things. Thank you for sharing and I'm looking foward to more stories.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-16)
Interesting story and entirely believable that the girlfriend was spelling your mom. Glad your dad dropped her - people who play with that kind of stuff don't make good long term relationship material. They're oriented towards manipulation and not love. But here's my question - how did she get into your mom's house in order to put the coal in the bed frame and when would she have done it?
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
12 years ago (2012-03-16)
CityGal - what an interesting story. I've heard of voodoo or is it hoodoo? I get them confused so I mean no disrespect to anyone. Anyway, I've heard of that being used to "mark" someone, but never coal. Wow.

I love reading stories from other cultures because you can learn so much. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Also, I am glad your mom finally realized what was going on and was able to get rid of it. Before it was too late. I'm not so sure I'd be too quick to let the dad's ex-girlfriend off the hook 😉 People have been known to do some crazy stuff, when they feel threatened.
CityGal (3 stories) (8 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-16)
Hahah, that is not how it works. Coal is believed to be a manifestation of dark energy chanelled by practicants of this religion. I do not practice it myself and I don't really know much about it, it's just a common belief. If you care to know more about these african religions, I will post another story about an experience with a Candombl
silentBob (1 stories) (8 posts)
+4
12 years ago (2012-03-16)
So are you saying that your dads new girlfriend put the spell on you and your mother, seems strange after she already had him living with her. And the coal in the bed, did it just manifest itself there as part of the curse?
Very weird I am inclined not to believe it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: