You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Old Hags / Night Attacks / Sleep Paralysis :: Wake Up

Real Ghost Stories

Wake Up

 

This has only ever happened once but ever since it happened I have trouble sleeping.

I live in New Haven, MI. One night about 3 years ago, I can't remember the date exactly. I woke up in the middle of the night and the first thing I noticed is that I can't move at all. I can see OK, I can blink, and that's about it. Now before anyone asks I know for a fact I was not dreaming. Because when asked the next day my sister (who sleeps in the room right next to mine), told me that during the night the sound of the dog growling and barking woke her up and she got scared thinking someone was breaking in, I start to panic a little bit, but then I notice that it feels like someone is petting my arm. Similar to how one may try to pet a cat. I didn't feel threatened or in danger, but it did scare me quiet a bit. This goes on for quiet sometime, and only stops when my dog walks into the bedroom and starts to growl. As soon as he growls the petting stops, and I realize I can move again.

This has only ever happened once but ever since then I wake up in the middle of the night feeling like someone is watching me. My dog avoids my room during the day but will come into my room and sleep every night. He always lays directly next to me almost like he is trying to protect me. And often times when I wake up I hear him growling as well. Any ideas on what this might be, or how I might get rid of it. It's been making it very difficult to function some days cause I sometimes get woken up as often as 2 or 3 times a night. Also I would like to know if anyone can tell me if they have had something similar happen to them and what came of it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Michigan

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Freaked_out, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Freaked_out (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-06-01)
My only thing about all this, is that like I said in the story, Until recently anyway it hasn't happened in almost 2 years. Last night it happened again, My phone went off and that's what woke me up, and my phone is set to go off again every 5 minutes so that if I miss it the first time, I notice it later. The same thing happened. After I woke up I couldn't move at all and it felt as if something was stroking my arm again. And this went on for at least an hour and a half. My phone stayed lit up almost the whole time cause it kept going off. Then all of a sudden I could move again. This started at about 3am, and lasted until 4:30
nyuboom (1 stories) (28 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-26)
Well dogs can sense fear. Sleep paralysis is freaky, I know... But learn to live with it because it's part of you now. Everything will be okay.
Mannerizms (10 stories) (172 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-25)
How often does this happen?

Does your sister hear these things? (did not see if it was clarified.)

I hope it has calmed down a bit for you as well but it does sound like sleep paralysis, when anyone experiences this it's very, VERY scary the first few times.

Stay safe! ❤
Brier (2 stories) (54 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-25)
Sounds like classic sleep paralysis to me.

As for your dog, if they really trust a person, they will sense a person's discomfort and try to fix it.

An example about that- yesterday I was watching my uncle's dog for a few hours. I was laying on the couch and the dog was laying on the rug next to the couch. I was really tired and almost asleep but I didn't actually want to sleep. So whenever I'd doze off, I'd shake my head automatically. The dog, I guess, thought something strange was happening. He started whining and half jumping on the couch. He calmed down after I pet him. I wish he was my dog: (
Casper_the_ghost (9 stories) (180 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-25)
Hi, nice simple story. My dog growls all the time when asleep-he must be having some bad dreams! As for the petting, I sometimes feel that too be it anywhere, I'm not sure what causes it but in my opinion it isn't ghosts.
Supernaturalservices, is that paragraph the extent of your vocabulary? It seems to be all you write? Can you not give any other advice?
crecentblue03 (151 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-25)
I believe, that you could have had a spirit in your room with you it it could very well have been touching you. And I agree with the other poster your dog was trying to protect you, but I believe the dog could see this spirit because animals and small children can see them. When My daughter and I lived in the U.S. We lived in Bismark North Dakota for a while. We relocated from one basement apartment because of flooding and to a second floor apartment in a building that used to be a house then rooms were made into apartments it dated back to 19 24. The first night I had to sleep on a carpeted floor with a blanket and before falling to sleep I felt as though some one was caressing my cheek with their hand. My daughter was already asleep in another room at first I was a little scared but being so tired from the past few days dealing with the flood I fell asleep feeling this. This took place our first night in this new apartment. I think the spirit in your story doesn't mean you any harm but, your dog was just doing what dogs do best protecting you from an intruder even the spirit kind. Thanks for your story. P.S. We were living in the vintage district of Bismark called the cathedral district.
supernaturalservices (86 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-23)
if it is sp see a specialist, if it is paranormal read psalm 91 or 71 or some other prayer of protection before going to bed. Also leave bowls of white vinegar mixed with sea salt in your room to evaporate refill as needed.
Shell1982 (70 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-23)
Nothing paranormal-sounding about any of this. Sleep paralysis is a really common experience that has nothing to do with ghosts and spirits. And as for the dog - of course he was trying to protect you, that's what dogs do, they're awesome:). Doesn't suggest there are ghosts about. Just read this back sounds like I'm being short with you, don't mean to, just haven't got time to write a friendlier-sounding reply sorry x

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: